MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, first post. Novice. Last time I had firearm experience was 45years ago. The pic below is my New EZ. Besides some minor scratches on top, left side of rail, the front of barrel has a grey line down inside barrel. And shiny metal at end of barrel like it is chipped. Or, not mill finished. I have no idea if this common. It never has been fired. Bought new from a Range Store. Wondering if it was returned and resold to me. Thanks for any advice.
7D1D9184-DF2D-477D-8AD9-C2746DB5CBF1.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Most gun shops are like a used car lot that have the same salesmen. A lot of people think clerks at auto parts stores are mechanics too. Your pistol may be near new, but I suspect if the gun shop also has a range, it may have been tried out a few times or was a demo model. As far as the barrel goes, it could be the lighting or inadequate finishing or cleaning... mostly cosmetic I'd say. Not sure if that crown would really diminish accuracy. Shoot it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CitizenX. I plan on addressing this with seller. I asked if it was new and they said yes. Just wanting some opinions before I bring it up. I don’t think it should have any scratches.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree the scratches are disappointment. A new out of the box piece should be flawless. Are the scratches "wisps" on the finish that will buff out with a bit of polishing, or actual scratches that mar the surface?

That said, if I were buying locally I might use the mark to leverage for a better price, but I would not reject a piece out of hand on that basis, because after a month or so of carrying in my environment, a minor scratch or two is inevitable. And after a year? I'm outside a lot in rough environments. After a year anything I carry might look like it was dragged through the yard behind the lawn mower.

Hopefully the vendor will come clean and give you some insight on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree the scratches are disappointment. A new out of the box piece should be flawless. Are the scratches "wisps" on the finish that will buff out with a bit of polishing, or actual scratches that mar the surface?

That said, if I were buying locally I might use the mark to leverage for a better price, but I would not reject a piece out of hand on that basis, because after a month or so of carrying in my environment, a minor scratch or two is inevitable. And after a year? I'm outside a lot in rough environments. After a year anything I carry might look like it was dragged through the yard behind the lawn mower.

Hopefully the vendor will come clean and give you some insight on it.
Hi 2-shields

Maybe a little of both. You can see an almost scuff looking one over the "EZ" on the rail pic. Yes, disappointed. I did get the gun for self-defense and maybe to the range once a month. I don't want to have to use it and have to think about operating the gun. Hunting and outdoor activity are way behind me for numerous health reasons. So, it will be stored most of the time. The marks in the barrel I am not sure about. Can contact S&W on it. May not be unusual. Someone could have fired it and they still consider it new as it was never sold. The range I bought the gun from will not be where I shoot. They just had it in stock. There is closer range to use. I didn't want to shoot it till I address this with the range store where I bought it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi 2-shields

Maybe a little of both. You can see an almost scuff looking one over the "EZ" on the rail pic. Yes, disappointed. I did get the gun for self-defense and maybe to the range once a month. I don't want to have to use it and have to think about operating the gun. Hunting and outdoor activity are way behind me for numerous health reasons. So, it will be stored most of the time. The marks in the barrel I am not sure about. Can contact S&W on it. May not be unusual. Someone could have fired it and they still consider it new as it was never sold. The range I bought the gun from will not be where I shoot. They just had it in stock. There is closer range to use. I didn't want to shoot it till I address this with the range store where I bought it.
Sounds reasonable enough to me.

Locally all firearm sales are final, but other locales might have different takes on it. If the vendor acknowledges it was previously used on the range, you might ask about a swap?

Unless one asks, the answer is always "no."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A better pic of barrel. The lines actually go down the barrel equal distance apart and the lighter colorization seems to be where they end at the barrel tip. Seems like this the normal barrel. The color is a grey/brownish look. I couldn't see this till I took a flashlight to the barrel. Barrel may not have an issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, but he got mine from behind the counter in a cabinet with other boxed guns. I sent my pics to their corporate Customer Service and they said take it back to the store and they will take care of it. Will see what that means. Manager must be there. So, will go tomorrow.

I have no basis on the barrel. Do you think it is fine. I know the pic is poor and you can't see much. Just wondering because they may think it is ok and just replace the rail. Assume that is not a problem. Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
All S&W’s are shot at the factory and are not cleaned. So I wouldn’t worry about that. I doubt they sold you a used gun as new. That’s kinda risky, but you never know. It shouldn’t have scratches on it. I doubt they will want to swap a slide, but I wouldn’t do that; I’d either want a new gun or a refund. They may possibly give you grief about not inspecting the gun when you bought it. See what they tell you about the barrel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They were able to rub it out. Happy and ready to clean and take to range. Just about got all my cleaning supplies and accessories.

One thing I would like is a nice "pistol specific" cleaning storage container. No more than 7 inches high. Have two containers now, but generic. I have normal supplies/tools plus a large pack of 500 9mm cloths. Also, a cleaning rod, brush etc for a .22 revolver. Very old Sentinel Imperial .22 revolver my dad owned. Would like to keep in same container. But, separate. Any suggestions. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts