MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
If this is supposed to dissuade me from using the 9mm for self defense. It's not. Contact your local VA. There are countless soldiers who have survived rifle rounds to the head. There are people who have survived getting run over by a Mack truck. The human body is an amazing thing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Its all about angles, locations, and luck. While chance of servival with 9mm headshot is greatly less then say gut shot, it happens more often then u think.

You think 9mm to head and servive is increadible, just do search on "Phineas P Gage".

He had the three foot long tamping iron with a diameter of 1.25 inches weighing thirteen and a half pounds entered his skull below his left cheek bone and exited after passing through the anterior frontal cortex and white matter. While lost left sight, and suffering from personality change, he servived. see the pic below

Like above poster said, human body is a amazing thing.

Oh Mr Gage's skull and his 3foot iron bar(kept the rod which damaged him throughout his life as a souvenir, and it was buried with him in death) is available for viewing at the Harvard Medical School's Warren Anatomical Museum in Boston, Massachusetts

·
Registered
124 Posts
My goodness. A thread about a thug kid who got shot in the head (and lived) was brought up a while ago, and it was agreed there that anything can happen with any caliber. Criminals being shot repeatedly with a .40S&W, and still being able to fight back has also happened. I was flipping through the channels, and on CourtTV (IIRC) there was a case where a man was shot point blank (a pillow was used to muffle the shot) in the head by his own .25 caliber handgun that the robber wrestled from him, and killed him. People have been killed by .22's, and survived big caliber wounds that "should" have killed them. Just one of those flukes, I guess.

E

·
0 Posts
Headshots are overrated. What you got to aim for is the place on the face ranging from right underneath the eyes to the top of the mouth. Sometimes rounds might richochet off the skull.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this is supposed to dissuade me from using the 9mm for self defense

Lighten up Dude ! (lmao)

It's just an interesting article about a lucky guy who survived a terrible incident in his home.

Also notice it was in a foreign country and they entered his home by breaking the burglar bars.

If it makes ya feel better from my collection my home defense fav is my Sig 225 with Speer 9mm 124 grain Gold Dot JHP +P 8)

Also , Eddo36 nice post , your so right . :wink:

·
Registered
367 Posts
mity2 said:
Oh Mr Gage's skull and his 3foot iron bar(kept the rod which damaged him throughout his life as a souvenir, and it was buried with him in death) is available for viewing at the Harvard Medical School's Warren Anatomical Museum in Boston, Massachusetts
Not trying to sound wrong or anything but how is it buried with him and viewable at Harvard at the same time? Did they dig him up?

·
Registered
319 Posts
yes. His remain was exhumed in 1864 for whatever the reason.

His rod, which was burried with him was also exhumed. There is an inscription on the rod that reads, "This is the bar that was shot through the head of Mr. Phinehas P. Gage at Cavendish, Vermont, Sept. 14, 1848. He fully recovered from the injury & deposit this bar in the Museum of the Medical College of Harvard University. Phinehas P. Gage Jan 6 1850."

I read about him while I was taking psychology few years back, and did little study about him

·
Registered
524 Posts
That P. Gage fellow is rather well known in psychology. Now, mind you he survived, but he never fully recovered. His personality changed dramatically and his cognitive skills were not terrific. You could show him a bullet, show him a gun, then take the bullet, load it into the gun, and point it at him and he saw no issue with this. He was a quiet fellow before the accident, but cursed like a sailor at the most inappropriate of times afterwards. He also frequently urinated in public.

The front of your brain contains your personality, as well as you ability to conceptualize social norms. The trauma to the area from the pipe affected both severely.

Just a little tid bit.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The difference between Mr. Gage and the person shot in the head in the original post is that the bullet did not penetrate into the brain. There is no comparison as this is not about surviving brain trauma. It is more about the 9mm round's inability to penetrate the skull in this case. That said, I carry a 9mm from time to time and will continue to.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Papershooter said:
If this is supposed to dissuade me from using the 9mm for self defense

Lighten up Dude ! (lmao)

It's just an interesting article about a lucky guy who survived a terrible incident in his home.

Also notice it was in a foreign country and they entered his home by breaking the burglar bars.

If it makes ya feel better from my collection my home defense fav is my Sig 225 with Speer 9mm 124 grain Gold Dot JHP +P 8)

Also , Eddo36 nice post , your so right . :wink:

I apologize if that sounded gruff. I didn't know where you were comin' from. I spend a good portion of my gun discussions with .45 nazis. :oops:

·
Registered
124 Posts
mity2 said:
yes. His remain was exhumed in 1864 for whatever the reason.

:?

His rod, which was burried with him was also exhumed.

All this talk about the poor guy's rod...

There is an inscription on the rod that reads, "This is the bar that was shot through the head of Mr. Phinehas P. Gage at Cavendish, Vermont, Sept. 14, 1848. He fully recovered from the injury & deposit this bar in the Museum of the Medical College of Harvard University. Phinehas P. Gage Jan 6 1850."

They got all that on his rod? Yowza... That was the last one, promise.

I read about him while I was taking psychology few years back, and did little study about him

Wasn't there also a kid (who's grown up by now) a decade or so ago who accidentally drove his skull through some long spike that was sticking out of a fence when he was riding his bike, and survived? It went almost from front to back right down the middle of his brain. I guess the brain can survive if damaged in some areas better than in others.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do we even know if this was the 9mm Luger? Could it have been a 9x18? I'm not saying it couldn't have happened with the 9x19, just that news articles don't always get all the facts (except for Fox News). Also this happened in S. Africa so the bg's could have been using crappy ammo. Lastly I think we shouldn't discount God's role in all of this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts