MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking to go with a pretty hot personal defense load for my 9mm M&P. I just started a new job and one of the guys I work with reloads ammo and does alot of 9mm. He likes the silver tips and I shot a clip through my M&P...I could tell they were hot, but overall seemed to perform nicely. I would like to get a box of 100 of something that I can count on really to do the job with penetration and performance. I also hunt frequently, and have considered carrying my M&P as a farm gun for close range encounters that are becoming more frequent in my area with cougar, coyotes, and snakes...and heck I just like shooting the hotter loads. I want a 115 grain load. What kind of bullet should I buy and what kind of brass should I go with. Also, what kind of powder charge should I go that is still safe. What kind of chamber pressures will the M&P handle.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade, but there is a standing rule (or advice) that most people should stick to like glue, "NEVER shoot someone else's reloads!"

Some reloaders are careless, and when I hear terms like "they are really hot", it raises really big red flags.

I've been reloading for over 40 years, and in that time I've run into a lot of people that I would NEVER shoot any of their ammo, it's just too dangerous, it's just not worth blowing up your pistol or risking personal injury to shoot someone elses reloaded ammo!

My best advice, buy some good quality factory ammo, something with a hollow point bullet.

PS Never buy reloads at gun shows either!

Here's some really good information on self defense loads:

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tact...c;f=78;t=000964

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Federal 115gr 9BPLE +P+ is loaded at the top end SAMMI pressure,38,500 psi. for the 9mm.I stocked up on it before the price went sky high.The M&P handles it fine.Just don't shoot it in just any 9mm though.From personal experience just don't gut shoot a possum up close unless you want to be splattered in really foul smelling crap.Ammoman has it but it is high.It LE ammo.

Ed

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I used to have a gentleman reload my .270's for me and wow, they were amazing! I have never had a bullet out of a box perform anywhere close to those handloads, out to 200 yds there was no group size from 5 shots....just one jagged hole. I want to start reloading myself but with college and work there isn't enough time in the day as it is. On that note, we need to get a concealed carry on college campus act passed, I think the tragedy last week should open some eyes, and while were at it start letting all teachers carry.

·
Registered
78 Posts
G56's advice is right on and his link has the best personal protection loads for protection against 2 legged preditors.

If you're mainly worried about cougars and coyotes and deep peneteation, I like the loads from Double Tap and Black Hills...sorry I don't have a link. Do a google search.

I'd tend to go with a heavier bullet than 115gr. but to each his own.

Black hills uses the hornady XTP bullet and offers it in 124+p and 115+p. They are accurate and much hotter than normal factory loads IMO. They are what I would carry in the woods.

Double Tap uses Speer Gold Dots and loads all of their rounds (115, 124, 147)to +p specs.

Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
get ya some 124gr hydrashoks and put them where their supposed to go-problem solved(shot placement is of course the key) :wink:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
hey guys, new to the forum here. Has anyone here shot Cor-Bon +P JHP 115 grains in their M&P 9mm yet. heard it was an excellent round. also heard it may not be good on certain guns. any input will be helpful

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was told at the CCW class that you shouldn't use reloads for carry ammo as attorneys will make the claim that you loaded them to be as lethal as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have heard Cor Bon makes some of the hottest factory loads, but that was coming from a gun shop employee. :roll: So don't mark my words.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
there is another website that has input on stopping power, penetration, etc. go to handloads.com. they give data on just about every caliber. pretty useful to me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I know they are not handloads, but I just got DOUBLE TAP Gold Dots124 +P. I have not shot these yet, but they are advertised at about 1300 fps. Should be fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts