MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a 9mm J frame? I am interested in getting one as a 9mm backup, but I have had a hard time finding any info on them. Does anybody know the model numbers?

Please let me know any info, or where I can find any info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
readyme said:
Does anybody have a 9mm J frame? I am interested in getting one as a 9mm backup, but I have had a hard time finding any info on them. Does anybody know the model numbers?

Please let me know any info, or where I can find any info.

Thanks.

It would be a S&W 940. Good luck finding one though. They have been out of production for a number of years and seem to be commanding top dollar (and your first born male child)

Regards,

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I've been looking for a good deal on a S&W 940 for a couple years now.

As RGS said, good luck!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It might not be quite as cool as one might wish. I had a 940 and it could have been that individual specimen, but it seemed to have a difficult time extracting fired cases. I don't know why it would be worse than anything else unless it has to do with the taper of the 9mm case allowing it to expand into the cylinder walls in some odd way when fired but it was a consistent problem.

That particular revolver also had to get a new frame because they set the firing pin busing in too deep, which allowed a primer to back out when a round was fired, locking up the whole revolver. I know for a fact that particular revolver never got test fired at the factory because it did this on the first round fired.

BTW, there is at least one other 9mm S&W revolver, it was a K frame, I believe it was the 547, not all that many made but an interesting piece of trivia.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 940. I also had a ruger sp101 9mm that I sold. The 940 is great for pocket carry. I have not had any extaction issues and the 9mm round in a 2 inch revolver nears .357 ballistics. If you can find one grab it!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to own a 940 and foolishly sold it before I realized that S&W was going to stop making them. However, my ONLY complaint about it was that it required moon clips to function, which got me to thinking that if you carried a reload and somehow the moon-clip bent, your revolver would be useless. I realize that you can fire it without the moon clip but that requires extraction of cases with some sort of push rod. However, if I still had mine I would probably carry it. But for that reason, I elected to stick with 38 special.

Just some food for thought.

J

·
0 Posts
Saw one in a display case not too long ago. Was about to ask to see it. Then I looked at the tag. It was $1200 and in red ink it said FIRM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts