MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Speer 125gr. RN lead bullets in 9mm? It looks like I could make some nice low recoil target loads with these.

What powder would you use with these?

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
I would use WW231 with those, it's a great powder for midrange loads using either lead or jacketed bullets.

My personal 9mm load is 4.6 gr of WW231 with a 115 gr jacketed or plated bullet, that is a mid range load, averaging 1090 fps in my Beretta Mod 92FS.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some other people have said to use:

4.1 grains of W231 or

4.4 grains of Unique for light target loads with this bullet.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G56, what particular bullets do you use? What OAL do you use? And what primers do you use?

Thanks for all the info.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
I'm currently using Zero 115 gr JHP, most of those are loaded, I've only got a couple of hundred left, and I just got some Rainier 115 gr plated HP's, I normally use Federal primers in all my pistol calibers, and the chrono work was done using Federals, but I'm almost out of Federals and nobody has any Federal Small Pistol primers! I'm not sure of the OAL on those loads.

I normally only use Federal SP primers as my match PPC revolver only works with Federal primers, but it looks like I'm going to have to break down and buy some other brand, probably Winchester in the near future to load some more 9mm and 40 S&W.

I have also loaded some with the same bullet and primer but using Unique, 5.2 gr of Unique gave an average of 1154 fps out of my Beretta.

Chrono is a Pact Model 1XP.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've been loading 145gr LRN (bought from a local vendor) with 3.2 gr of Tightgroup. Seems to be working well but its a little smokey for the early morning shoots. If you're facing into the sun just right and there is no wind it makes it hard to see the targets! Just ordered some Precision Molly coated bullets and will probably use those for matches and the smokies for practice.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
That smoke is a combination of vaporized lead and bullet lube, although I've shot a lot of lead bullets I dislike that smoke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts