MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying my first handgun for home defense and to shoot at the range. It will be the M&P since I like how it felt in my hands and its so light compared to other guns I held. I just cannot decide if I should go with 9mm or .40 caliber. Other than 9mm ammo being little cheaper is there another reason I should not look at the .40? What do you guys think? Also how much recoil difference is between them?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
we are having a similar discussion right now check out this link for others opinion

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=

for a new shooter I HIGHLY reccomend the 9mm I have both the .40 and 9mm and the 9mm has great stopping power wonderful ammo to choose from and very little recoil..

hope we can help let us know and post some pics-Jason

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the fullsize 9mm and have been very pleased with its handling and reliability. I can't compare it to the M&P 40, but can say that my 9mm M&P is far superior in comfort and accuracy to my Glock 23 .40 caliber. My suggestion is to go with the 9mm because it gives you adequate stopping power and will be less expensive to shoot than the .40.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told that 9mm didn't have good stopping power compared to .45 but if you use hollow point in 9mm to .45 hardball then the 9mm is going to cause more damage right? So basically I could buy 9mm since its my first handgun and I can use hardball fmj ammo for range and keep the hollow points in one mag for home defense. I think I'm on the right track.....right?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
ereed said:
I was told that 9mm didn't have good stopping power compared to .45 but if you use hollow point in 9mm to .45 hardball then the 9mm is going to cause more damage right? So basically I could buy 9mm since its my first handgun and I can use hardball fmj ammo for range and keep the hollow points in one mag for home defense. I think I'm on the right track.....right?
that about sums it up... and for the people who tell you 9mm has no where near the stopping power of a .45 tell them the .50 caliber desert eagle has more stopping power than their little .45.. enjoy your first purchase and I think after you get used to the 9mm move up if you want.. do what feels right go to a range and most have pistols for rent get a 9mm and .40 see what one is more comfortable to you.

·
Registered
708 Posts
depends what you want to use it for. lots of fun shooting 9mm cheaper ammo.

I will do light shooting probably not as much as others here so I got a .40, also for protection. If LE goes with .40 i think most people tend to do it too. etc

·
Registered
70 Posts
The most important factor in self defense with a handgun is shot placement. If this is your first handgun, then you want to practice as much as possible, because its harder than it looks to hit a target with a handgun. You'll practice more with a 9mm because its more pleasant to shoot than a .40 and the ammo is cheaper.

After shot placement, the next most important factor is adequate penetration. A good 9mm JHP will give adequate penetration.

If you place the shot on target and it penetrates adequately, then you've done pretty much everything that you can hope to accomplish with a handgun. If the first shot doesn't stop the aggression, then you will need to repeat the process. Follow up shots with the 9mm are easier than with the .40.

·
Registered
372 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
that about sums it up... and for the people who tell you 9mm has no where near the stopping power of a .45 tell them the .50 caliber desert eagle has more stopping power than their little .45.. enjoy your first purchase and I think after you get used to the 9mm move up if you want.. do what feels right go to a range and most have pistols for rent get a 9mm and .40 see what one is more comfortable to you.

Or say "Yes, but it has more stopping power than harsh language".

MI_Jester

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would go with 9mm. Its cheap, and great stopping power, and soft recoil makes it great starter gun. buy one, have a blast, then if you want to, you may trade it for 40 or even better - Have both!

·
Registered
169 Posts
For people that say a good hollow point 9mm round doesn't have enough stopping power, ask them to run at you and pump 2 rounds into their chest, then ask them how they feel about the 9mm stopping power. Bet ya they change their tune.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Nutshell said:
For people that say a good hollow point 9mm round doesn't have enough stopping power, ask them to run at you and pump 2 rounds into their chest, then ask them how they feel about the 9mm stopping power. Bet ya they change their tune.
I appreciate your defense of this caliber but what you said is not realistic. Don't assume two rounds to the chest will stop someone.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
People blame the caliber when a BG doesn't go down after being shot with 9mm. They fail to consider the part that accuracy plays in the equation. Given the same circumstances they would like have to bash .45 as well since it probably would not have made a difference.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I understand shot placement is everything, but I keep on reading on these forums about the "lack of stopping power a 9mm has". I carry a .40 compact personally. For me, I shoot it best. I just really like the .40. I own the 9mm also.

·
Registered
231 Posts
choochboost said:
People blame the caliber when a BG doesn't go down after being shot with 9mm. They fail to consider the part that accuracy plays in the equation. Given the same circumstances they would like have to bash .45 as well since it probably would not have made a difference.

Well said...

I will take shot placement over displacement any day.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I went with MP in 9mm full size due to its accuracy, ease to shoot, and ammo prices. Sure .40 is an effective round, but I can save well over 100-200 bucks/year in ammo costs at the range for eventually a new gun.; > Also I think less recoil is good for a new shooter in developing good habits. Get a few boxes of Speer Gold Dots +p 124 gr ammo for home defense. These will do the job just fine. I have a few on hand, though my 9 is mainly a range gun. For home defense I use a .357 mag just because I prefer the revolver in a home defense situation--it can be used as a club after emptying it. ;>

Good luck.

Ciao,

Effy

1 - 20 of 41 Posts