MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be purchasing my first M&P this coming week, but Im torn between a 9 or a 40. Oh Man decisions decisions. What would you guys get? Thanks

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The M&P is a really fun gun to shoot and the price of 9mm ammo will let you do it a lot more. Careful selection of modern JHP makes the 9mm no slouch for self-defense. On the other hand, .40 makes bigger holes. The .40 is more snappy, but still very controllable, at least it is in the fullsize (haven't shot the compact). Between the two, I prefer 9mm for the range, and .40 for everyday carry.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Re: Auto carry

likearroyo said:
I have a 45 min commute to work everyday. It will be in my vehicle.

Where do you live at??

How are the CCW Laws in your state??

Are you thinking Full size or Compact??

Y

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go with the 40

Had the same issue but when you fire them both seems like the 40 just makes the 9 feel weak. i will be picking mine up tomarrow. Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had the same argument in my head. i went with the .40. more expensive to shoot but i had so much more confidence in the .40. its well worth it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i was in the same position as you before i purchased my 9mm. i went with the 9mm based on what i could find doing searches and below is a link to one of the sites that helped me make the decision. i have owned a .40 in the past but i never owned a 9mm. that is the reason why i was comparing the two.

let be known that i am not bad mouthing the .40 by posting this. this is something that i found that could be construed as bias but helped me make the decision to by my 9mm.

http://www.sportshooter.com/gear/tlg_9mmadvocacy.asp

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
good 9mm self defense ammo and good .40 self defense ammo will both do what you want assuming you get your hits

choose what you shoot well and what you can get a good amount of and practice a lot with.....thats my advice...

personally I carry the M&P 9c loaded with 124gr gold dot +P ammo and have full confidence in its ability to do the job

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've carried every popular caliber from .32 all the way up to and including .44 mag. I've standardized all my handguns to 9mm. .357 mag, and .45 acp.

IMHO .40 is a solution looking for a problem. .40 has more recoil (thus slower follow up shots), less capacity, and is more expensive to shoot. 9mm can do anything .40 can do with less recoil, more capacity, and is cheaper to shoot.

I carry 124Gr +p Gold Dots in 9mm. I have faith that should they be needed and I put them where they need to go they'll work just fine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went from a 9mm sig to a .40 xd to a 9mm glock (g17 ) to .40 M&P

have not shot the m&P yet hope it is as nice as my glock.

(9mm vs .40 vs .45 war goes on)? All the cops seem to be going to the .40 ... works for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I went with 9mm as it's mainly a range gun. I have a .357 mag by the bed and I hear few arguments about its stopping power. 9mm is more enjoyable for me to shoot, cheaper, and allows for more practice. I'm sure it'll do the job if needed. The 9mm round has been taking down folks for decades, and if it were ineffective, it would've been phased out of militaries before many of us were born.

Shot placement is what counts and you can only achieve that with much practice. 9mm allows me to practice more due to my budget, but if your budget allows for higher ammos costs, go for the .40, it's an effective round as well.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
264 Posts
You really need to shoot them to make the proper choice for YOU. Our experiences are nothing more than anecdotal tidbits. I went with a 9 for a number of reasons. I wanted to use it for IDPA and for me to do so means lots of practice. So the cost of 9mm vs 40 vs. 45 meant a lot. Having owned a 40 and sent a couple of thousand rounds down range I can say that, FOR ME, the 40 is not a fun caliber to shoot, so getting lots of practice would not have been a pleasent experience.

It was never my goal to have this become my carry gun or primary defensice weapon, but having sent a couple of hundred rounds down range I can say that there is a VERY good chance that my XD45 will get retired and the MP9 will become my carry and defensive gun. At least till the 45 version comes out later this year. Am I going to feel unprepared because I am carrying a 9 instead of a 45 or 40? Not at all. Shot placement ALWAYS beats anything out there. As a wise man once mentioned: I would rather have someone shoot at me all day with a 50BMG and miss than someone hit me with a 22 once.

Buy what youre confortable shooting and will invest time in mastering. When the SHTF that piece you mastered and can hit with asif it were second nature will serve you MUCH better than the piece you never wanted to take to the range cause it sucked to fire it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a m&p .40 it will put a bigger hole in you then a 9mm .

But a 9mm is still fine for defence. And ammo is a 1/3 cheaper to buy from what I see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would sugest you try going to the range and renting both. I rented the 40 and both the 9 full size and compact. After 300 through each i settled on the 40 as after trying the Sig, Glock and the xd all in 40 and all sizes i figured the M&P had the least recoil felt the best in my hand and after i compared all the targets i had shot with the 40's it was the most accurate of all of them for me. I loved the 9's and was spot on center mass every time but i wanted the power of the 40. Plus after looking around i found Magtech 180 grain fmj practice ammo for $11.37 for 50 i ordered 1000 and bought the gun. To make it easier when i teach my wife to shoot i ordered Advanced Recoil Reduction System from DPM Systems, after reading a article on the 9mm here

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm and that should be here tomorrow and out to the range monday. But the main thing is you cant base experiencesb with other 40's on the M&P because it is really diffrent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went with the 40

I purchased the M&P 40 It shoots great. recoil is nothing I have shot a Glock 22, Forgive me god of glock, but M&P is really a great pistol. I live In Texas, automobile carry all depends on the local LE agency If Im not mistaken the State has to prove you were not traveling, instead of you proving you are traveling. NO im not carrying it in my car yet, I will be getting my CCL soon so I can be 100% legal. Thanks for all the great responses, Im a newbie and really impressed with response time and friendliness. Peace

1 - 20 of 39 Posts