MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid for a 9mm Shield today and was testing the slide. It seems pretty stiff when i racked it. Since one of the reasons i was getting this is for my wife i am a bit worried it might be too tough for her, she has fibromyalgia which really affects her grip. Would i be able to replace the recoil spring to a lighter one without sacrificing functionality?

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
To make it noticably lighter would mean using a spring that wouldn't cycle the slide properly. Probably not the gun for her.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A. Teach wife to hold the slide and push the grip with her Body.

B. Leave Slide locked open for a day or two. This does help break it in.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Want to loosen the spring up some........

SHOOT the gun

Both mine were stiff OTB however after a few hundred rounds both are noticeably lighter.

If your wife has a weak grip Id recommend considering a wheel gun for her.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I noticed the spring was very tight OTB, after shooting about 450 rounds it is not much different. Maybe a semi is not the gun for your wife.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Both mine were stiff OTB however after a few hundred rounds both are noticeably lighter.
"Noticeably" meaning barely noticeable, not a significant difference. Wheel gun, with a trigger job, might be just what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Honestly unless she has injury to her hand/wrist/maybe arm I'm sure she could learn to operate the shield easily. Instruction and technique will make the difference.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
The Shield is SMALL. Smaller guns are harder to grasp the slide, and kick more.

First, as a fitness professional she HAS TO be strength training, and not just her grip. Fybromyalgia responds VERY well to consistent 2-3 days per week strength training.

I'd suggest a compact or full size over the shield. Both will run FINE with a 12-13 lb recoils spring which is readily available. These will give you a reduced weight.

And as suggested above... grip training, curls, triceps, wrist exercises... They WILL hurt, but they MUST be done, or else FM will win.

Jeff

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
53 Posts
>>B. Leave Slide locked open for a day or two. This does help break it in. <<

The quote above is from a post by Jason yesterday.
Has anyone else heard of this method to loosen the tension on the spring ? Do you believe that it would work ? Can it cause any harm to the gun ?
Hanagan

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
>>B. Leave Slide locked open for a day or two. This does help break it in. <<

The quote above is from a post by Jason yesterday.
Has anyone else heard of this method to loosen the tension on the spring ? Do you believe that it would work ? Can it cause any harm to the gun ?
Hanagan
Won't work... Springs get softer due to multiple cycles. Compress, relax, compress, relax, repeat. Just like mag springs.

That said, if you manually cycle it a lot, a few hundred times... you may see a 2-5% reduction in spring force. Recoils springs take about 7000-10000 rounds to wear out, with the force of recoil... not your hand. Obviously breaking in takes less time than wearing out... but not much.

Jeff

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jeff,

I'm not surprised to read your answer. ( The suggested fix sounded too easy )
I have owned my 9mm Shield for a few weeks and have only shot about 400 rounds through it.
I can empathize with the OP's wife. Although I consider my hand strength to be at least average, I was surprised at the effort it takes to manually manipulate the slide.
I think the "smallness" of the slide contributes to the problem. It's more difficult to get a good grip on the slide. I can't wrap my handle around the slide as I can with my SA XDM 45 ACP.
The bottom line is that I love the Shield. Any difficulties I have discovered are small and can be overcome with practice and patience.
Hanagan

PS: Jeff, If that is really your picture posted with your profile, I can see why it's no problem for you. :yes

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
The picture in his profile is of him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all, I plan on putting the pistol through the shooting cycle for sure. I just was hoping there was a quick fix by replacing the spring. I'm sure she'll be fine in the long run but if i have to buy another gun that will be a tough sell with her, she'd more likely just not shoot at all. Of course if i could talk my father into letting me take "Temporary" possession of the .38 (Colt Commando that she has actually shot before) at least i could get her working on the basics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hard Racking

Any one having this problem try this: hold top grips with fingers and push gun forward, works every time.:rambo:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has she tried an M&P Bodyguard? Might be better. I have an autoimmune disease and my hands were a mess along with a lot of other things. Several years ago I was shopping for a 9 MM or 380 and really liked the Walther PPK - racking the slide was like picking up a hand full of razor blades. Tried a lot of pistols and ended up with an M&P 9c, still hurt but worked. Hands are much improved now not like pre autoimmune but tolerable. A friend has a .40 Shield and I found the slide stiff, I figured it was because it was a .40 and the 9 would be easier. Not so I guess. See if you can help your wife work through this, try lots of guns. There should be something out there that works for her. It is really hard to believe how much this stuff can hurt if you have not experienced it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have put over 800 rounds through my shield.
The spring is still very stiff.
My wife cannot rack the slide

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here. The wife had a hard time racking her shield. After over 1200 rds in the gun it was not any better. So I got a backup spring from SPEED SHOOTER SPEC and took the old spring out and cut 2 coils out of the flat spring. What a change, she loves her gun. She put 150 rds through it tonight and it worked flawless. She even said the recoil seems softer. What ever works to get her gun back in her hands and shooting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A. Teach wife to hold the slide and push the grip with her Body.

B. Leave Slide locked open for a day or two. This does help break it in.
I left mine coked for 30 days , didn't helped. I have 200 rounds through it. Maybe it will get better after 500 rounds.. Love the gun otherwise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I replaced my factory recoil rod & spring with a EFK Firedragon dual recoil rod and spring. A bit smoother...just my take. It worked for me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts