MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a great time yesterday trying out a few 9mm loads. A special thanks to Kbales for all the help testing and collecting information.

Thanks man!!! :mrgreen:

We used a water soaked newspaper wetpack. We shot 2 rounds, of each load, out of a 9mm M&P Compact (3.5" barrel). All shooting was about 5 feet from the wetpack. We covered the wetpack with 2 layers. The first layer is a t-shirt. The second layer is a jacket; it is a typical jacket with a nylon outer shell, a small amount of synthetic insulation, and a cotton lining.

We tried to get an exact penetration measurement using a cleaning rod. We quickly figured this wouldn't work because on some of the shots we couldn't get the rod all the way to the bullet. On some of the wound channels, in the last inch or two before the bullet, the newspaper kind of collapsed back into the channel. This prevented the rod from reaching the bullet with consistent results.

So we decided to just rank the rounds from least penetration(#1), to greatest penetration(#10). The least being about 8"; the greatest being about 10". This was accurate because we could just pull off thin layers until we arrived to the next bullet. Expansion numbers are listed for all rounds also. We rounded the expansion to the nearest one hundredth of an inch.

EXTRA: After we concluded the wetpack test, we had enough wetpack to test more. Just for curiosity I pulled out my S&W 642 loaded with Gold Dot .38 Special 135gr. +P Short Barrel ammo. I shot 2 rounds into the wetpack. We didn't measure the penetration; but these rounds also penetrated 8"-10". And they had impressive expansion also. We were quite surprised with these. I pictured these .38 rounds on the same page as the 9mm rounds; but I'm not exactly sure where they would fit in as far as penetration goes.

Enjoy.....YG.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Great job there YG!! Very nice pictures of the different rounds. That HST looks like interesting ammo. I may have to try some of that in .40 one of these days. Could you tell much difference in shooting the regular GD 124 +P vs the GD Short Barrel. Not a lot of difference in expansion.

Thanks for the info, Ron

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ront said:
...Could you tell much difference in shooting the regular GD 124 +P vs the GD Short Barrel...

No. But I did shoot quite a few different loads that day.

These 2 loads really have my interest right now. They expanded about the same; but the Short Barrel penetrated almost 1" deeper. I'm going to test these again out of my fullsize to see what happens.

·
Registered
471 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
These 2 loads really have my interest right now. They expanded about the same; but the Short Barrel penetrated almost 1" deeper. I'm going to test these again out of my fullsize to see what happens.

I wondered if that may be the case, because just as you said, the expansion is just about the same. The other thing I notice about the Gold Dot ammo whether in the 9mm load or the .38 Special, it was very consistent! Some of the others had a fair amount of difference in expansion.

Ron

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to carry the same load in my fullsize and compact. And I want to test these loads in my fullsize before I make my mind up:

-Ranger 147

-Gold Dot 147

-Gold Dot 124 +P

-Gold Dot 124 +P Short Barrel

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks chooch. What's the general consensus on GOlden saber?? I inherited some from my father when their office switched from 9mm to 357sig along with some of the older Hydra-Shock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yukon, is there any way for you to get some side shots of a few of the expanded rounds? I'm curious of the depth of expansion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
HST 147 and HydraShok 124, please. And I mean how far the slug "peeled" back during expansion, the depth of expansion.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts