MP-Pistol Forum banner

A BIG THANKS to the guy shopping at the local Dick's Sporting Goods

11K views 49 replies 33 participants last post by  David 
#1 ·
I know this topic has been played out but I have to say something here... and I hope the guy who did this is on this board and reads this.

After spending 3 months diligently calling around 8 walmarts multiple times a week I have been able to successfully acquire 550 rounds of Blazer Brass 119g FMJ. I typically like to shoot around once a week so I'm barely able to shoot a box a week. That box is split between me and my girlfriend as well as I'm trying to get her proficient with my 9c. So sub 25 rounds per week is well, weak!

So I called the local Dick's Sporting Goods to find out that this passed Sunday, they got a shipment of 15, yes, 15 CASES of Remington UMC. He then told me that a guy came in that day and proceeded to buy ALL 15 CASES. Yup, 7,500 rounds swallowed up all in one fell swoop
. This guy decided he needed to have enough ammo on hand, right now, to be able to shoot close to three boxes of ammo every week for an entire year, starting this week. I'd hope to think we're at least a quarter of the way through this thing, if not half way through or further.

I'm sure some of you would do the same thing and heck, it's America, we all have the right to do that but COME ON!

Kudos to the guy for the ability to take down 15 cases all at once
. Even if I wanted to do that I don't have the cash on hand. I know we're all nervous here but I think it's goten ridiculous. So I guess I'll continue calling every week hoping to get a box here and there.

Reloaders aside, if you've got a story that bests my "guy bought 15 cases right there" I'd love to hear it. I'm sure somewhere someone has swallowed a pallet somewhere before it even got inside the doors.

FYI, the Dick's has now limited one CASE per customer

See less See more
#3 ·
We had a guy come into Gander and buy 7000 dollars worth of 223 in the 1000 round count boxes a week ago.

Now I am not defending him but you never know he may have had a training school and with out ammo he is out of business

#6 ·
We had a guy come into Gander and buy 7000 dollars worth of 223 in the 1000 round count boxes a week ago.

Now I am not defending him but you never know he may have had a training school and with out ammo he is out of business

1000 round count boxes is one thing but 50 round count boxes is another. I would think that if he had a training school he would be able to get ammo cheaper and have more purchasing power than just strolling into a Dick's and clearing out the shelf. I'm no instructor myself but, like every other profession, there must be some sort of ethical or moral conduct which is abided by no? And if there is such a conduct I'm assuming that he would know that clearing out 7500 rounds from a store that does get some shipments in every week or so would go against that conduct code. I'm assuming a lot here so I could be dead wrong.

Right now I'm bitter and angry so I will assume the following:

1. There was a gun show in town this weekend so I'm assuming he bought it all up and then put them out on a table with a n% markup

2. He's just a scared, bullet hoarding dude with extra cash laying around and decided it was a good idea

3. All the training schools around my area make you purchase the ammo separately (at their price) so he bought them to stay in business and also find a way to increase his

margins.

I will accept the reasoning of him being LE or responsible for supplying LE ranges in the area. Other than that, BOOO

#7 ·
Have you tried placing an order at your walmart customer service desk for ammo that they didn't have in stock?

If I had the spare cash and a desire to own 7500 9mm rounds, I wouldn't hesitate one bit about buying it all. This isn't Franco's spain. We don't have ration cards.

I agree, and that's why I said it's America and within everyone's right to buy all that ammo if they so choose.

I'm more angry because I'm assuming he somehow bought that much in the hopes of profiting somehow and not using it to shoot himself. It just seems like a lot of bullets to be bought at one time. We've got a lot of smart, laid off Bankers in this town so I could see them trying to make a quick buck off the shortage haha.

I can understand the frustration from the Lodge guy at Dick's who I talked to as well. It's not good business for him to have angry potential customers (his words). I need some more Hoppes No. 9 too. I probably would have picked some up from there if he had the bullets in stock. I have to think that there are potential ancillary sales he's losing out on because of that guy.

I'm not saying that I think it should be like Franco's Spain but I am contientious (sp?) of other shooters and don't mind being considerate of others who share in the same enjoyment as I do at the range. I just wish other people had the same consideration. I'm not slamming him for his right to buy all that ammo. I just think he abused the right in this instance. Just because you have a right to not stand for the pledge of allegiance doesn't mean, in my opinion, that its OK to do so.

#8 ·
That is one lucky ******* - got there just in time to unload the whole place

Well, there is nothing wrong with that, maybe that is what he usually purchases you have no idea.

Your just pissed because you didn't do the same thing

All jokes aside this ammo thing is nuts, the MC Sport down in Grandville had a truck load gone in under 3 hours. Folks were waiting outside the store in a line to get some, and that was with a 5 box limit!!!

That was their months supply

I did however find a place near me that has ammo, this guy just limits to 3 boxes each and his prices haven't changed, he charged so much in the past his prices look normal now

Just read your above post too, as far as the sales go a pallet is not that much, it would have sold out pretty damn fast, so then your in the same boat just more people have less. If I had the opertunity to snag a pallet at a good price I would, not thinking twice about it. I wouldn't resell just use for my own, but thats me

#9 ·
I've tried to keep out of this thing because I've only been shooting for about a year now, but.......

There are some seriously misguided folks out there, reacting to (intentional?) fear mongering by some folks. The government is not going ban ammunition regardless of what some of the left wing nut cases want and the right wing nut cases fear. Taxes on ammo may go up but I'm thinking taxes on EVERYTHING are about to go up and compared to the increase in price due to excess demand - Econ 101 folks - the likely increase in tax should be offset by the drop in price due to the drop in demand once everyone gets a clue and stops hording ammo and buying 7000 rounds at a time.

Serously, folks, chill out. As soon as the pin heads among us STOP buying like they just manufactured the last round ever, things will return to normal.

Things will return to normal anyway in a while because, like good capitalists, the manufacturers will see that there is a fortune to be made by producing more ammo, thereby satisfying the excess demand with increased supply and the system will once again reach equilibrium.

All finished - let the bashing begin.

#10 ·
I have had the luck of being at a Walmart lately that had about 2-3 cases of 9mm. But I dont own a 9mm. I went there for .22 and they had none. It seems the caliber I need is never in stock. .17hmr is starting to sell quick also.

#11 ·
I have had the luck of being at a Walmart lately that had about 2-3 cases of 9mm. But I dont own a 9mm. I went there for .22 and they had none. It seems the caliber I need is never in stock. .17hmr is starting to sell quick also.

Maybe while I'm ATL this weekend ( We're taking our daughter to the aquarium) I stop by a few walmarts and see what I can find.

#13 ·

IF the political situation stabalizes, the hoarders will realize they've got more ammo, primers,etc. than they will use in their lifetime & it will start showing up at gunshows. Obviously, just my opinion & worth what it cost.

#14 ·
I think things are just going to get worse.

I've talked to several of my local dealers and they all said the same thing. The major ammo manufactures are at least a year behind on their orders; don't expect to see any primers for the rest of 2009.

Maybe in 2010 if we begin to see more stock on the shelves we'll only be frustrated with the ultra-high jacked-up prices.

Thankfully, I've got enough reloading supplies to shoot the rest of this year, but after that, I anticipate not being able to practice the way I do now and range trip will probably be relegated to a once in a great while experience do to ammo costs and availability.

God Bless,

David

#15 ·
New gun ownership has increased by over 40%. This combined with hysteria, two wars, and LE agencies stocking up has given us this shortage we have right now.

I would just like to know where this 40% was during the election and how many of them voted for Obama. After an election like this I lose faith in this country and the people who live here. It amazes me at the stupidity that runs rampid in the United States.

#16 ·
Well, this member of the 40% voted McCain / Palin and hadn't been exercising his 2A rights until the last seven months. I bought because I had the sinking feeling McCain was going to lose and wanted to make sure my voice was heard through more than just my vote. A right unexercised is a right lost.

#18 ·
AS bad as the 9mm/223 shortage is, I'm glad I shoot mainly 40cal. I can still find some around here, even if it's higher in price. I feel bad for all of the 380ACP people. Can't find that anywhere, though I did stop in my favorite place and they had three cases of CCI Blazer (aluminum) 380's for 22.99/50. I picked up three hundred FMJ 380 bullets for 14.99/100 and loaded for my friend. God, I'm glad I invested in gear when I did.

The primer/powder issue has me concerned a bit though.

#19 ·
I went to wally world in Tampa and found no ammo yesterday. i asked the dude on behind the counter if he had any idea of when new stock was arriving and he had no idea. He continued on by telling me how gun stores are buying all the ammo and even main distribution center was cleaned out.

Im probably going to stop shooting to conserve my paltry 150 rounds of .40 i will resume when I can buy more...

#20 ·
I have always kept a set amount of stock (rounds) for each weapon I have. I keep it "fresh" by rotating with new stock and holding onto the set amount. I kind of saw this shortage coming (a year or two ??? ago) when I heard about some military ammo supplies being low and they were starting to buy more from the civilian market. At that time,you could still dicker on prices here and there for a reasonable quanity. Even checked into how good or better price I could get if I added it to their next ammo order. Most dealers loved that because it made their sales look better,thus making it easier for them to get more from their suppliers (at that time) too. Last Fall I noticed supplies getting harder to find so I quit shooting everything except my 9's. For the 9"s, I would just buy a little more than what I was shooting. I did have a momentory freak out late last October. Super Walley World had a shelf full of 9's and I bought 40 boxes of Winchester white box ammo. It barely put a dent in what was on the shelf at the time. Glad I did now. I have also enjoyed reloading over the years,so I'm not too worried about shooting my 9's yet. ...and no,I didn't buy it to sell and make a profit. I just like to shoot. So do many of my friends that were doing the samething.

#21 ·
The Prez is not going to ban anything, it would be suicide for his party. Stop freaking out and leave me some ammo on the shelves.

#22 ·
When I was at Walmart yesterday, I was discussing with the gun counter guy who does all the orders. He said that he was told that most of the Walmarts in the area are going down to only one box per customer. He said he is going to push management at his store to do the same...

Seems he is sick of selling entire orders to first customer who walks in.

I haven't been able to find 223, 9 mm, 40, 45, 22lr or anything at any of the local walmarts for past 2 months... all they got are 12 and 20 guage shells. Glad I hoarded all my stuff 6-12 months ago.

#24 ·
Walmart and the sporting goods stores need to slap a 5-10 box limit on sales until the shortage ends.

When did you become a member of the Communist Party?

Free market, baby. Supply is low, demand is high. Those who are willing to pay -- or those who just get lucky -- win. You want 5-10 boxes? I promise that if you go to your local shop and tell them you're willing to pay $1 more per box over their regular price, they'll set some aside for you every time they get a shipment.

Sorry, I just don't need people telling me how much ammo I should be allowed to buy at once. If the government mandated it, you'd be the first to get furious about it ... and rightfully so.

#26 ·
When did you become a member of the Communist Party?

Free market, baby. Supply is low, demand is high. Those who are willing to pay -- or those who just get lucky -- win. You want 5-10 boxes? I promise that if you go to your local shop and tell them you're willing to pay $1 more per box over their regular price, they'll set some aside for you every time they get a shipment.

Sorry, I just don't need people telling me how much ammo I should be allowed to buy at once. If the government mandated it, you'd be the first to get furious about it ... and rightfully so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.