MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting into reloading and have a couple of questions concerning lead bullets for 9mm. I have read through this site and it seems to be O.K. to shoot lead out of my M&P, correct? What about a glock? I seem to remember reading sometime back that you should not shoot lead out of a glock. I may be remembering wrong though. And lastly, I am having a hard time locating load data for lead bullets. Is it correct, as a rule of thumb to reduce FMJ load data by 10% when using lead? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
It is OK to shoot lead out of any firearm, some just require way more maintenance than others. Polygonal rifling, as in the Glocks, will build up lead inside the barrel at a much faster pace. You need to watch and clean them well to remove the lead build up, otherwise excessive pressures will occur- and we all know what that means!! Make sure you have a couple good reloading manuals, they should cover lead!! I use Barry's bullets with a copper coating, I don't like lead au natural>

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Lead bullets are fine in the M&P, the Glock has polygonal rifling which isn't really computable with lead bullets, that's a Glock thing, most pistols don't use that type of rifling.

Lead bullet loading data is out there, it isn't as common as jacketed bullet data. I"m sure you know that Lyman is big in the cast bullet industry, they manufacture bullet molds, furnaces and various cast bullet tools, so their loading books contain some good information on cast bullet loading, here's a good one as an example:

Lyman "Pistol and Revolver: Reloading Handbook: Third Edition"

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

You can also find that book at most dealers that sell reloading supplies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts