MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! This is my first post here, I learned about this forum through Glock Talk.

I am a Glock fan, but do not rule out most other guns. I currently carry a G23 in a CTAC. After handling a few compact M&Ps, I was considering replacing my G23 with one. Though the G23 has never given me any problem in about 3000 rounds, and I really like that, the M&P does feel much nicer in the hand, and others are reporting similar reliability with the M&P. Does everyone see the M&P exhibiting Glock type reliability in the future, like upwards of 20,000 rounds with no major component failures?

I had a few questions about the pistol for anyone willing to answer! First, how does it compare in shootability to the 23, if you've fired both? Does it take a while to transititon from the Glock trigger to the M&P, and how is the trigger in general? What exactly is Smith's magazine safety? I would probably not be wanting it (I am used to draw and shoot like with a glock) but am curious nonetheless.

Also, I would like to compete in IDPA with my new M&P, is the compact a sufficient size to do so? I've never done IDPA before, but would like to do it with my carry gun only, to become very proficient with it if I ever need it. I don't know maximum ranges one encounters in IDPA, etc... Can I buy extra magazines yet?

Also, what does everyone recommend for night sites? I have tru-glo TFOs now, and while nice, they do reduce the sight radius quite a bit.

Thanks for the help!

Hope to be a new M&P owner soon,

Brian

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Hi Bchandler. Welcome aboard.

I am a Glock man also. So I know where you are coming from.

You won't see me badmouthing the G23. That is one of the best pistols on the planet. But I feel the M&P does offer some advantages over the Glock.

The M&P is proving to be very reliable thus far. Only time will tell about long term reliability.

They are going to be very similar in shootability. The M&P has better ergonomics; but the Glock has a longer grip. So shootability will be very subjective from shooter to shooter.

It took me somewhere between 500-1000 rounds, along with some dry-fire, to get used to the trigger of the M&P. Now that I am used to it, I like it better. The M&P triggers are pretty good from the factory. They smooth up nicely with some firing and $0.25 trigger job.

The magazine disconnect renders the gun unable to fire if the magazine is not in the gun. This is an option on all M&Ps. You can get it without the mag disconnect if you don't want it. It's also very easy to remove if you want to go that route.

The M&Pc would be great for IDPA. And it will be a little easier to conceal than the G23.

Yes, extra mags are available.

Night sights are limited right now. But most major sight manufactures are working on them right now. The factory night sights are Novak; they are expensive, but they are nice. There are a few other night sight options if you will search this forum.

I hope I covered all your questions. If not, just post them up. And if you search around, most all your questions are probably here somewhere!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
The M&P triggers are pretty good from the factory. They smooth up nicely with some firing and $0.25 trigger job.

Thanks for a very informative post on these guns. I have been considering one too to possibly replace my G27 but I can't find one with a decent trigger on it. I have read other posts on this forum of others who don't care for the quality of the triggers either and they usually send them off to Dan Burwell for a trigger job. What exactly is the $.25 cent trigger job?

Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The trigger will smooth up on it's own with firing and dry-firing.

$0.25 trigger job is just polishing the contact points of the trigger.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've never shot a glock but a friend of mine I ride with ofter when pulling Aux Police duty has always had a glock - after shooting my M&P at the range he sold his glock and bought an M&P the very next week. Both mine and his are .40 cal's

·
Registered
41 Posts
I personally dont believe in replacing guns!!! There doesnt seem to be much positive in getting rid of a gun to buy another i just save until i can own another! they are both great guns and chances are u will regret selling ur glock so dont do it!! just buy the m&p when u have the money never can have too many guns!

ryan

·
Registered
30 Posts
pillboxhat5 said:
I personally dont believe in replacing guns!!! There doesnt seem to be much positive in getting rid of a gun to buy another i just save until i can own another! they are both great guns and chances are u will regret selling ur glock so dont do it!! just buy the m&p when u have the money never can have too many guns!

ryan

I SECOND THAT!!!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
iskiuskiweski said:
[quote name='pillboxhat5']I personally dont believe in replacing guns!!! There doesnt seem to be much positive in getting rid of a gun to buy another i just save until i can own another! they are both great guns and chances are u will regret selling ur glock so dont do it!! just buy the m&p when u have the money never can have too many guns!

ryan

I SECOND THAT!!!
[/quote]

So do you like skiing or just Polish? :wink:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
115 Posts
iskiuskiweski said:
[quote name='pillboxhat5']I personally dont believe in replacing guns!!! There doesnt seem to be much positive in getting rid of a gun to buy another i just save until i can own another! they are both great guns and chances are u will regret selling ur glock so dont do it!! just buy the m&p when u have the money never can have too many guns!

ryan

I SECOND THAT!!!
[/quote]

I third that. I have sold a couple of guns I really didn't like and I regret it. I know I would never use them again but years later I seem to keep finding a reason I should have kept 1 or 2 of them. Of course now they cost twice as much to replace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts