MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks. I just discovered this forum from a link at thehighroad. I figured this would be a great place to ask a few questions and to become an active board user.

I just bought a .40 compact, and while I was there, I mentioned that I already owned a .40 full sized. The dealer told me that the mags from the full size would fit the .40c. Cool. Does anybody know if S&W or somebody aftermarket makes a sleeve for the full size mags to fit the compact, similar to the way that Springfield did for their full sized mags in their compacts?

Second, I'm wondering if anyone knows if and where to get an S&W (or again, if there is an aftermarket) extended compact baseplate separate from the magazine. I find that I *can* grip the pistol comfortably with the short mag by curling my pinky under the mag, but I prefer the extended baseplate. I don't want to have to buy a new mag just to get another one with the extended baseplate. I haven't fired it yet, so I don't know if this curled pinky thing will actually work.

And finally, I noticed on my full sized, the sear drop lever is kinda "C" shaped (one gun mag write up called it a shepherds crook shaped thing) . In my compact, it is kinked, but then sticks straight out, kinda like this:

Should I worry about this? In my full sized it is shaped like this:

The first image is an edited version of the second to show the shape of the lever. The original is from http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP.htm

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
the one that is crooked is the old style. the straight one is the newer style.. no big difference.

Sleeves are not available.

Finger extension will be available when smith gets caught up with production. they don't have any to spare right now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I guess it was just some engineer eliminating a step to save a few seconds/pennies in the manufacturing process.

I imagine if S&W doesn't make the other thing I mentioned available, someone eventually will.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've gotten to the range with it. All I have to say is AWESOME. I fired it side by side with my M&P40 full sized, my HKUSP40 full sized and my XD45.

It had a bit more kick than the 40 full sized pistols, but not too much. It was worse with the short magazine, but even that was controllable when I pulled tighter with me weak hand on the two hand grip. I had to curl my pinky under the magazine. All in all, I prefer the pinky rest magazine, and will probably buy a few more of them, but I will keep the short magazine for "ultra deep" concealement or when I put it in the armrest of my car (it fits with the sort mag, but the long mag just barely keeps the lid from closing.

S&W hit a homer with this one....

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts