MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new here but I read through about five straight pages of the Full Size forum area and I've been looking up all of the M&P reviews I can find including holding and inspecting them at the local firearms shop (Freedom Outfitters). I however still have quite a few questions and new ones that've come up in my reading. I don't mind reading old posts at all so if you have a thread that explains something, please go ahead and post a link to it.
I'm planning on buying an M&P 45 for carry when they come out, but that won't be for a few months at least either way so I'm not in too much of a hurry. I have to wait for my age to catch up with the law, unfortunately.

What is this I keep reading about bad extractors and strikers? What was wrong with them, were they breaking, jamming, being way too light?

What are these revisions (N, M, B) that I keep seeing mentioned as well? What do they actually mean, where on the gun can I locate the stamp? Is there a list somewhere of the M&P serial numbers and dates of production?

What kind of sight picture does the M&P use? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with previous S&W autoloading pistols. Do they set the sights up to place the target just above the aligned sights or do you cover the target with them? Has anyone ordered theirs with factory tritium sights installed? Are they the same as the standard, only with tritium?

Regarding the 45 model: People keep referring to an external safety but I've seen no pictures of anything like this at all. Anyone have a link to even a text reference? I'm curious how they set it up and why. I don't plan on buying mine with any of the "extra" safeties I don't really consider necessary on this gun in the proper hands. Sometimes they might be nice but in general, I'll rely on myself rather than a bent piece of metal.

Anyone know if the .45 magazines (10) are double stack or single stack? Are they going to make extended, higher capacity, magazines at some point?

I tried calling Blackhawk themselves to answer this question but it turned out that their customer service is the "Let's hire someone to punch buttons into a computer to give pre-made answers to the customer!" type. I wanted to know if the .45 model will be able to fit into the one M&P holster they have listed for the SERPA 2 matte model. I know the 45 is going to be a bit longer but will the slide/frame be wider, taller? If it's just length, the holster should be able to accommodate it since most usually have a bit more length than is strictly needed.

I think that's it for now, I hope my questions can be easily understood and answered. Thanks.
- Colt

·
Registered
312 Posts
What are these revisions (N, M, B) that I keep seeing mentioned as well?

Think of it as software versions 1.0, 2.0, 3.1, etc., each time they make an improvement it gets a new revision.

What kind of sight picture does the M&P use?

Same as everyone elses, equal height- equal light. Whether you cover the target with your sights or hold the sights directly below your target depends on your personal preference and occasionly whether you are combat or target shooting, (tartet shooters tend to balance the bullseye on top of the front sight.

Regarding the 45 model: People keep referring to an external safety but I've seen no pictures of anything like this at all. Anyone have a link to even a text reference? I'm curious how they set it up and why. I don't plan on buying mine with any of the "extra" safeties I don't really consider necessary on this gun in the proper hands. Sometimes they might be nice but in general, I'll rely on myself rather than a bent piece of metal.

There are quite a few pics, both on the 'net and in the forums..... as Btown will tell you "Search is ya friend"

Anyone know if the .45 magazines (10) are double stack or single stack?

Double-stack, 10-round capacity.

I tried calling Blackhawk themselves to answer this question but it turned out that their customer service is the "Let's hire someone to punch buttons into a computer to give pre-made answers to the customer!" type. I wanted to know if the .45 model will be able to fit into the one M&P holster they have listed for the SERPA 2 matte model. I know the 45 is going to be a bit longer but will the slide/frame be wider, taller? If it's just length, the holster should be able to accommodate it since most usually have a bit more length than is strictly needed.

I think that's it for now, I hope my questions can be easily understood and answered. Thanks.
- Colt[/quote]

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on the technical aspects of the pistol but there's a few threads done by Dan Burwell (M&P gunsmith from PA) that list the changes made to the pistols through their production runs. You can find what revision the pistol is by field stripping it and looking inside the frame about the light rail. From what i've read and experienced with my pistol (9mm Rev. N) all the teething issues have been resolved. I would imagine that with the experience of revising the 40's and 9's that the 45 will be set to go out of the box.

Try this link: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...ghlight=changes You can trust what MR. Burwell says, MANY people on this site have used him and i've not heard one bad comment about his work.

Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers so far, I hope someone can answer the others.
To add one: What is primer flow exactly? I can imagine but I've never heard of this problem before, is it due to the .40 S&W cartridge being such a high pressure? How does that little cut relieve it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Per SAAMI

PRIMER CRATERING/ PRIMER FLOW

A circumferential rearward flow of metal surrounding the indentation of a firing-pin in a fired primer cup.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/107.htm - most of the way down the page

and

http://www.thegunzone.com/10v40.html - for some eye opening pics

Yep, it has to do with internal firing pressures. not nearly as much of a problem with low pressure rounds.

I'm way out of my lane if I go any further, but I'd hazard a guess that the relief in the firing pin hole helps prevent any metal from dragging on the pin, or, from retarding the action of the ejection..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No luck with answers for my other questions? I'd really appreciate it, even if it's simply a link.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You need to talk to a Blackhawk dealer about their product. There are other holsters perhaps better suited to your purpose. By the way, your customer service experience is about par for the course with Blackhawk-they have attitude issues.

So far as most of us are aware, all the issues were taken care of by the "B" serial number series. In other words, if the serial number of your weapon starts MPB/C/D etc, don't worry about it.

The little clearance cut below the firing pin hole in the breech face allows the weapon to function normally even if primer flow occurs. Primer flow is a function of pressure and primer cup hardness and possibly the tolerances between the firing pin and its hole in the breech face. A cratered primer shows a raised rim around the firing pin indentation. In certain circumstances, this can prevent the barrel from unlocking and results in a failure to extract/eject (FTE) and a feed (FTF).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts