MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I finally got around to doing something Ive been meaning to do.

When I was 21 / 22 years old I bought a 12ga single shot NEF shotgun at

the Jackson Mo. Walmart for like... $100 if I remember correctly. I maybe

fired it 50 times the first year I had it. For the last 6 or 7 years it sat behind

my dresser covered in dust and cob webs.

Last week I pulled the nasty thing out and saw it was rusting badly. I was so

close to tossing it in the deep end of the Mississippi River when I saw an add

in a 2 year old magazine the guy at the gun shop gave me. It was a modest

add for after market shotgun parts that took up 1/16th of a page and listed my

make and model in particular.

So I got online and browsed around and saw it was going to take about 200

bucks to get the "full boat" of after market parts for my gun. Before spending any $$$

I wanted to see if the gun could even be refinished so I tried the ordinary method

and got nowhere. After 2 days of sitting around cleaning it in front of the TV it was

just as dirty as when I started. So I got to thinking about this stuff I use to clean

my boat outdrive. (Muriatic acid) It is some mean sh*t! I dumped it all over the gun

and it came clean after some scrubbing. The inside was just as bad so I forced the barrel

into some dirt plugging the end then filled the barrel with that stuff, I started to spay

the hose at my siding just cleaning off some dirt when all the sudden I got a wiff of something

horrid. I turned around and saw the barrel smoking and the acid turned yellow and was bubbling up

like a witch's cauldron. I washed it off and the gun was perfect. I re-blued it with

some birchwood casey gun re-blue and it was jet black and spotless after oiling.

So over the few days I did this I searched on line and found a website that sold

the exact same brand of parts I was looking at for $200 for half that price.. The place is

combatstocks.com. I bought them. So if you read this long as boring post prepare

for the money shot... Here is a piece of sh*t junk gun completely redone for $105.00 and

that includes the shipping of the parts.

I know its not the hottest Shotty on the block but it did mean something to me and

plus it was fun to do.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Muriatic acid?

Phosphoric acid is commonly used to clean metals and remove rust, but muriatic acid, also known as hydrochloric acid is a bit hot for that purpose, besides being fairly dangerous to work with.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G56 said:
Muriatic acid?

muriatic acid, also known as hydrochloric acid

Hmm, I had no idea. Amongst us boaters muriatic acid is

the only thing to use if you want to clean your outdrive.

It must be a derivative of Hydrochloric acid or just contain

small amounts because you can get this stuff on your hands

for a short time with no problems. But it kills grass on contact

leaving beautiful brown spots in your yard. They actually market

muriatic acid to clean concrete with, thats its true purpose, I believe.

But all and all, the guns was throughly cleaned afterwards and I didn't

damage or pit the metal.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
looks real nice

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The concentration of acid is very very low in the "over the counter" products! Muratic acid is a good cleaner on many metals and is used in the concrete bus.

Gun looks nice, matter of fact I have on of those things in my cabinet from WAY back!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The concentration of acid is very very low in the "over the counter" products! Muratic acid is a good cleaner on many metals and is used in the concrete bus.

Gun looks nice, matter of fact I have on of those things in my cabinet from WAY back!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I like it... Go blow something up and get pics. :wink:

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Muriatic acid is the archaic name for hydrochloric acid, I was a chemical sales rep for 8 years and this is one of the chemicals I sold, it's nasty stuff, not something to fool around with! It does come in different strengths, standard strength is a 30% solution, I don't know what concentration you might have used.

Here's some more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid

MSDS: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/H3880.htm

More info: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_use_m...o_etch_concrete

They sell muriatic acid to adjust the ph of pools, and very simply the reason why they call it muriatic acid is that they probably couldn't sell it if it was properly named hydrochloric acid.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Nice shotty

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx for the positive feed back all.

It was so inexpensive to do that I plan on buying a used auto loading 12ga

and deck it out as well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
looks cool but trigger seems off way up high...must have extra long index finger ha

·
Registered
131 Posts
Huh I never realized that stuff was hydrocloric acid either. We would use it on the farm to clean the milk machines and stuff. . . . One time I had some clogged pipes at home and I dumped a gallon down the drain. . . . . within 15 min I had no more problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts