MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,
I just bought my first S&W in many years. I'm a retired Florida Police Officer. We had stainless M66 357 Mag. revolvers issued when I started. After a few years we got Sig P226 pistols issued, these were 9MM, there was no 40 or 10MM back then. I wasn't sure of the 9MM yet so I bought a 1911 (commander-size) for back-up. I had to provide my own pistol for the academy, mine was a M19. I still have the 1911 and the M19.
I just bought an M&P 2.0 in 45 ACP. I have the Florida concealed carry permit so I don't to wait three days. After I get it I'll post a few photos.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I bought one a couple years back. The so called Compact model. Four inch barrel with the same frame (10 round) as the full sized 2.0 .45's.

I like mine a lot. So far it's the most accurate large sized M&P I've shot.

You' got a good pistol.

Keep an eye out for police trade in/surplus 10 round magazines. I got several for mine for about $10 each not long after I bought the pistol.

link to Aim Surplus who has them (now) for about $14 each.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Welcome Superzuki - and thank you for your years of service to your community.

Is that zuki - as in Suzuki? I'm a long time rider (45+ years) and Suzuki SV650 owner.

M&P45 2.0 Compact user here also.

I love everything about the pistol except the trigger - which I ignore. There are options to correct it, but I've learned to deal with it. Not going to notice the trigger action if I ever really need it.

I've shot mine out to about 50 yards, and it was right on. Recoil is very manageable.

For range training, I've like Fiocchi or SIG 230 ball. For defense, I like the 230gr HSTs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. I was assigned to motors and bought a Katana. It's was so much faster than the Harley's the other motormen started calling it a Super-Suzuki, then a Superzuki. Pretty soon I became Superzuki. Now I have my second Hayabusa. A true Super-Suzuki...

·
Registered
657 Posts
If I ever get around to having the slide machined for a red dot and back up rear sight and start carrying it I'll use the big magazine for back up/spare.

Everything just "came together" when I bought mine a couple years ago. Aim had used 10 round mags for cheap. A few days later Botach was selling new 14 round mags. for about $12 each (clearance sale) and I ordered several of those. Never have tried any of them out, yet.

I have a neat XD Tactical 5" .45 with thumb safeties (and the usual grip safety) so it's close to a 1911 except the feel in my hand. Those are 13+1 guns but the grip just doesn't fit my hand like the M&P does. The M&P .45 is small enough to carry concealed. The big XD is not. Not for me anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm 74 years old and I've found that I do better with Red Dot Sights. I have 2 Romeo 1 Pro's on P320's a Leupold Delta Point Pro on another P320 and a Vortex Viper on a Springfield XDm in 10MM I just bought last month. The DPP is my favorite. My brother started this last year on my birthday when he gave me a Romeo 0 for my P365.
This M&P will stay iron sights for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the M&P from Shoot Straight (in Apopka) thru GunBroker. It was sold as used, but it wasn't very much used, in excellent shape. It had the safety, and I almost passed it up, I'm not a fan.
I found that I could remove the safety and attendant hardware to have the pistol S&W sells as the non-safety model.
So this afternoon I did,,, Well for a few minutes this afternoon, I did. There are 2 little square holes in the frame now.
I called S&W customer service, I'd heard that all I had to do was ask and they'd send the little plugs to me free of charge.
The C.S. agent I spoke to said they were $2.99 each and were sold out, call back next week. So until then there 2 little tiny holes in the frame. It will probably shoot ok.
I got out my Lyman trigger gauge and got an average trigger pull weight of 4 pounds 9.2 ounces. not too shabby.
Brown Wood Beige Tints and shades Font

I plan to shoot tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got to the range this morning. The M&P was very good, excellent in fact. I shot a variety of 45; ball, JHP, plated HP. Federal, Remington, Underwood, locally commercial reloaded. Not the slightest hiccup. No +P rounds. S&W recommends against and forbids +P+.
My P220's swallowed all this and +P and +P+.
It was a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have an MGW SP1000 Pro. I purchased 2 others before I finally admitted I needed a real, good, tool.
The first one was an 'economy' ie Cheap, piece of crap, The aluminum frame bent while removing a Sig plain, rear sight. I threw it away.
The second, cost a little more, but still cheap, had to have help, I had to tap the sight with a hammer to break it loose. Then I could push it out. It did work on Glock plastic rear sights. I still have it. I can't sell it on, it would be a rip-off of someone else....
If you want a sight tool, buy a good one the first time, you'll buy one eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts