MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that there are a lot of you guys from NoVA on this site and a few from MD. I live in the annapolis area and while i've learned that there are a couple places around that offer IDPA and some action-style ranges (AA Fish and Game), it seems all of them are private clubs with shoots on the weekends.

My question for you all is this: Are there any ranges in NoVA (or MD) that offer IDPA-style shooting or steel plates that are open to the public?? I'm not specifically interested in competition, just something a little more interesting than fluorescent lights and paper targets. I work a lot and on the weekends, so i'd love to find a place that i could go in the middle of the week on days off to have some fun without having to drop a few hundred bucks for a membership that i might not be able to take full advantage of.

Any tips would be appreciated. Also, if anyone else shoots during the week I'd love to get together for some shooting with other M&P shooters. I know i could learn something from you guys.

Thanks for the help,

Jake

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do not know of any ranges that have steel plates in our area .

Every range I've been to it's paper only.

I've been to three different training facilities that use steel poppers,when I go to the range and shoot paper it gets boring fast. lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well

Shooter Paradise in Woodbridge held IDPA, USPSA, ICORE & 3 Gun matches during week nights .. but they have had a little bit of a problem and won't be open for a while..

Tough to run the range when it practically burns to the ground..

Other then that i dont know of any up there.. Although, hmm.. think it was "The Range" down around Fburg that held IPDA every other Wed..

Further north I don't know.

Mouse

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MOusekiller,

I've been to the Range, it's right off rt. 1 south of stafford (i grew up in stafford), but i thought it was only an indoor range. Have they changed it?? You have any idea when the spot in Woodbridge is opening back up??

THanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
as far as i know the range is only an indoor range. i go every 2 weeks and shoot at the paper targets. luckily i have a friend i go with, that has a shooting pit and we go shoot our nagants and everything under the sun there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Re: Well

Mousekiller said:
Shooter Paradise in Woodbridge held IDPA, USPSA, ICORE & 3 Gun matches during week nights .. but they have had a little bit of a problem and won't be open for a while..

Tough to run the range when it practically burns to the ground..

Other then that i dont know of any up there.. Although, hmm.. think it was "The Range" down around Fburg that held IPDA every other Wed..

Further north I don't know.

Mouse

Plus they (Shooters Paradise) had a recent suicide (a young woman rented a gun to kill herself) and had a gun stolen on one of the lanes (recorded and later shown on the local news.) This place has had nothing but bad luck in the last year.

Pretty Spartan but does anyone shoot at Giberts?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't honestly

Know about when shooters will re-open, i've heard 8 months or something near that..

As to the stolen gun, i've heard it was returned the next day
seems someone saw themselves on TV...

The guys that run the matches at shooters are good guys.. hopefully they will re-open and they can get things going again. I did enjoy going up now and then to shoot.

I sure do wish someone would open an indoor range here in the Richmond area, well at least one that allowed you to use your own ammo.

Mouse.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Re: I don't honestly

Mousekiller said:
Know about when shooters will re-open, i've heard 8 months or something near that..

As to the stolen gun, i've heard it was returned the next day
seems someone saw themselves on TV...

The guys that run the matches at shooters are good guys.. hopefully they will re-open and they can get things going again. I did enjoy going up now and then to shoot.

I sure do wish someone would open an indoor range here in the Richmond area, well at least one that allowed you to use your own ammo.

Mouse.

Yes, definately a sorry state of affairs at Shooters Paradise. 'Really a shame. They had one of the best selection of holsters of any shop in the area. My wish is for more OUTDOOR ranges that don't require a day trip. I much prefer shooting outside (where I can actually see and breath
) and give my Remington 870 Police some exercise.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kraig,

I agree with you. SOmebody needs to build a few nice outdoor ranges in the DC metro area. I'd drive an hour or so no problem to shoot some steel plates or bowling pins or something outside. Now i drive almost 2 hrs down outside of Fredericksburg to go shooting with my dad's buddy who's a member of the isaac walton league. They've got 2 pistol ranges, a 100yd rifle range and a shotgun range on several acres. It's great, you can set up whatever targets you want and as long as everyone agrees you can shoot from as far in as you want. You guys in VA should check it out. It's probably 8-10 miles west on Rt. 3 from 95, maybe 45 minutes from the Springfield Interchange.

Maybe we should all chip in our savings and build a kick a$$ outdoor range in the area, at least we could shoot for free

·
Registered
638 Posts
chefdog said:
Kraig,

I agree with you. SOmebody needs to build a few nice outdoor ranges in the DC metro area. I'd drive an hour or so no problem to shoot some steel plates or bowling pins or something outside. Now i drive almost 2 hrs down outside of Fredericksburg to go shooting with my dad's buddy who's a member of the isaac walton league. They've got 2 pistol ranges, a 100yd rifle range and a shotgun range on several acres. It's great, you can set up whatever targets you want and as long as everyone agrees you can shoot from as far in as you want. You guys in VA should check it out. It's probably 8-10 miles west on Rt. 3 from 95, maybe 45 minutes from the Springfield Interchange.

Maybe we should all chip in our savings and build a kick a$$ outdoor range in the area, at least we could shoot for free

Dog, what does it take to become a member? And can Virginia residents bring in their handguns to shoot?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here you go kraigster: http://www.iwla.org/index.php?id=3 That's Isaac Walton League membership info. There's a link for the VA chapters : http://iwla.org/index.php?id=7

The one i go to is really cool. Each member gets a key to the gate and you can go in any time it's legal (dawn to dusk and mayber after noon sunday?) to shoot. If noone else is there you can walk all the way up to 3 feet and do draw and fire drill, you can set up clay pigeons on the backstop and blast at them. As long as you're safe, you clean up after yourself and you're obeying the range rules, you can do whatever you want. IT's a kick ass place to shoot i just wish it wasn't so far from me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts