MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what else to call it besides an "explosion", but please note that it is in quotes. KB isn't the right term, because the gun remained fully intact.

I was shooting factory reloads which came from a company in Montana. I was firing the 3rd or 4th round in the magazine when the gun blast was louder and much more forceful than the others. A lot of debris flew out of the gun and into my face. The magazine remained inside the gun and there was a lot of residue left around the top of the slide and the ejection port. The slide was kicked back properly, but remained open, as it pushed on the next round. It appeared to be a fail to feed, but closer inspection revealed something else. As I looked inside the chamber, it seemed that there were brass pieces left behind. The entire cylindrical part of the case remained in the chamber, with some jagged edges, blocking the next round from feeding. The base of the case, housing the primer, had blown right off the round! We were unable to find that piece of the case.

I field stripped it and used a knife to pry the broken case out of the chamber (it came out easily). The chamber appeared to be totally unharmed. I put everything back together, put the (blackened) mag back in, and continued to shoot for the rest of the day. The gun now has 1160 rounds through it without a single failure, other than this overcharged round.

·
Registered
514 Posts
WOW
Glad You're okay. At least the gun was able to take that punishment and protect you from something possibly worse. By the way, that company in MT wouldn't happen to be the Hunting Shack Inc?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
OH MY GOD

Man I am glad you are ok !!

I think you should study the case and see what was the problem .

That Happened With Me once But thanks Good Was a much smaller Caliber : 22 .

·
Registered
757 Posts
Contact the company that reloaded the ammunition, supply the description and photo(s). You have a problem caused by their product.

Glad you were'nt hurt. It'd take a lab to verify, but the case failure could be caused by flaws in the case, or by excessive pressure. I'd check the magazine carefully for damage and you shouldn't have used any more of that ammo until the manufactuer gets back to you.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Case separation, the cause could have been failure of the case, or an overloaded round.

Please tell us the name the company who reloaded the ammo, it sounds like Hunting Shack since you mentioned Montana, the state eliminates a couple of common brands.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
case head separation. given that your gun didn't go boom and that the case is largely intact other than where the case head detached, I highly doubt it was an overcharge. If so, not by much.

Too bad you didn't retain the case head.

given some of the issue si have seen some local shooters have lately, i'd guess amerc or PMC. Frankly we have had, relatively speaking, a bunch of PMC case head separations around here from "once used" brass. Even with minor loads. I suspect it is from someone local with a lot of PMC barss doing something stupid and dumping the brass at the range as it only seems to be local scroungers having issues. No splitting, no buldging, jsut the case head poping off when you shoot the round.

amerc on the other hand just sucks as brass.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morgan Walker said:
Glad your OK, did you inspect the barrel yet? With all that debris I would be afraid that it may have sared your barrel...
I did inspect the barrel before I continued to shoot. There was just some dirt-like debris in the barrel. The rim of the chamber and the ramp all appeared to be fine. A new round was inserted to make sure that it seated properly.

wr moore said:
...I'd check the magazine carefully for damage and you shouldn't have used any more of that ammo until the manufactuer gets back to you.
The top of the magazine was blackened, but there was no damage done there. I suspect it was more a problem of a weak case, than of a heavily charged round.

While using reloaded ammo from the same batch, my friend had a similar experience in his Glock 22. The case was not left inside his chamber, the magazine was shot out of the gun, and there was similar debris shot out.

G56 said:
Case separation, the cause could have been failure of the case, or an overloaded round.

Please tell us the name the company who reloaded the ammo, it sounds like Hunting Shack since you mentioned Montana, the state eliminates a couple of common brands.
I am pretty sure the company was the Hunting Shack (HSM), but I am waiting to hear from a friend for confirmation.

When firing ammo that has been loaded hot (+p for example), is more wear done to the gun? Which parts receive more wear? Does this considerably shorten the life of the gun/parts, after resuming use of normally loaded ammo??

·
Registered
757 Posts
The M&P is rated for +P ammunition and is expected to have a normal service life using it. However, there is no +P SAAMI standard for .40 S&W. In addition, the events you and your friend experienced ARE NOT normal to standard nor +P ammunition meeting SAAMI standards. Contact the ammo manufacturer. They are potentially liable in this incident.

Yes, "hot" ammunition will shorten the service life of a weapon, how much depends upon how much was used and how "hot". If your pistol did indeed survive a double charge, the possibity does exist that damage was done due to overstress. Just because you don't see damage, doesn't mean it hasn't occurred. I would suggest contacting S&W about possibly sending the weapon back for evaluation.

Complete discussion of wear would be long & drawn-out. Briefly, barrel, frame and slide would be subject to stress damage/excessive wear. Short version: all the expensive parts.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The barrel is like a Marine, thought of you the owner and so to speak "jumped on the grenade"

·
Registered
270 Posts
McGavin, let me know if the ammo is from HSM 'cos we had something similar happen during a class last weekend. Blew the bottom out of a Glock magazine.

I wasn't there when it happened but I was the one who supplied the ammo. I'm sitting on about 30K rounds of HSM ammo and thankfully only bought 2K of the 40S&W.

Never had any issue with their 9mms. We think they used the 40 brass once too often. Have 3 reloads the brass needs to go.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just received confirmation from my friend. The ammo was purchased from HSM.

I still have about 700 rounds of it left and I'm not sure what I should do. Call me naive, but I'd like to finish it off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ShooterMcGavin said:
I just received confirmation from my friend. The ammo was purchased from HSM.

I still have about 700 rounds of it left and I'm not sure what I should do. Call me naive, but I'd like to finish it off.

Uhhhh....hate to be Captain Obvious, but call HSM and inform them that you've had a major failure with their ammo. If they're reputable, they'll replace your ammo and have you ship the bad back to them. I had this happen with Georgia Arms and got a new case of ammo.

Don't be stupid and risk a KB with ammo you KNOW to be suspect.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Uh ... and you (your friend, actually) should never fire reloads in a 40 cal Glock. They dont fully support the case, and add to that, their ability to fire out of battery (before full lock up) ... it makes for a nice kaboom.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
swingset said:
Uhhhh....hate to be Captain Obvious, but call HSM and inform them that you've had a major failure with their ammo. If they're reputable, they'll replace your ammo and have you ship the bad back to them. I had this happen with Georgia Arms and got a new case of ammo.

Don't be stupid and risk a KB with ammo you KNOW to be suspect.
Ok, I'll do that. I will report back with the results.

Thanks, everyone!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts