MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been discussed here... but I know I haven't

seen it yet.



I truly think my 9c is probably the best CCW pistol I have

ever owned. It has few flaws, all easily dealt with.



Here I discuss one small issue and how I fixed it, with pictures:



http://carteach0.blogspot.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I have recently done the same thing to my .40c, although I removed much more material. Gotta warn you though, there is metal in there! I just barely exposed it and was able to cover it back up while doing a bad attempt of texturing the modified button with my soldering iron.



I'll get some pics up soon...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Sorry for the crappy picture, my photo skills are poor at best. I tried to follow the contour of the frame as much as possible. If you depress the button all the way and look on the other side of the pistol, that is how much the button now sticks out when not depressed. In other words, I took off a lot of material. Most importantly, the little tang thingie at the top of the button no longer sticks out beyond the frame (it just barely did) but now is flush with the frame.



The metal piece that is hidden inside the button is a small piece of stainless bar. I just barely exposed the end when removing material with the dremel. That is how I knew I was done removing material. I then contoured the button using a file, rounded the edges and got the button face pretty smooth with the file. My texturing job came out okay, but I had never done this type of work before, so I had no idea what I was doing. Good enough for me.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Thanks carteach.



For what it's worth, I have indicated in red the approximate size and location of the piece of stainless steel I encountered when removing material from the button. It looked like the end of a square bar, probably there to reinforce the mag catch assembly.



Also, I did not attempt to do this mod with the mag catch installed in the frame. I figured if I screwed it up, it would be cheep to replace the part. Not so if I gouged the frame with the infamous dremel.



Before removing the mag catch, I depressed the button until it bottomed out and scribed a line in it with a penknife using the frame as a guide. Had I known the metal was in there, I would have left a little more material on the button, but it all worked out well in the end.



Now if I could get my hands on one of TAG1737s spring mod parts to increase the pressure required to release the mag, I would feel ready to carry this little bugger.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading up a bit here in the forum, I did get

concerned about the magazine catch.



I pulled it from the frame and took a close look at the metal

engagement point and it is wearing off at a bevel.



Swapping it the other side does present the magazine with a straight edge

on the catch, but it's not really solving the problem, just delaying the failure.



Measured engagement depth is .031", which is pretty darn thin.



I shimmed the catch spring rod with a polymer tube to strengthen

engagement, and I'll be on the horn to S+W on Monday for a new catch.



Meanwhile...... the Commander is back on CCW duty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The blog has been updated to reflect the magazine catch issue.



Sigh.... Guess I'm calling S+W on Monday.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S+W is sending a call tag.



I'll report any results over in the magazine catch thread.

Guess it better belongs there.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top