MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post a list of all the different abbreviations would be nice to have us the newbies like me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
IDPA -- That was one I've been wondering about when I finally heard it spelled out on a TV show yesterday on the Outdoor Channel. It stands for International Defensive Pistol Association. But there are others I still don't know about. I agree, a list would be nice.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Hmm, lets start a list, and I'll post it in the FAQ.

I don't actually know what other abbv. you need.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Abbrev.

Here's a list to get started. I know there are more but I just cant remember them at the moment. Most of these are the very common ones, if someone knows other please add them to the list. And correct me if I screwed one up.

FTF - Failure To Feed

FTE - Failure to Eject

CCW - Carry-Concealed Weapon

IDPA - International Defensive Pistol Association

IWB - Inside Waistband

OWB - Outside Waistband

IM(H)O - In My (Humble) Opinion

FP - ??

P+ (ammo) - A cartridge loaded to higher than standard pressure within a regulated limit.

+P+ (ammo) - A cartridge loaded to an unregulated pressure level, no standard.

LEO - Law Enforcement Officer

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here are a few more...

IPSC - International Practical Shooting Confederation www.ipsc.org

USPSA - United States Practical Shooting Association www.uspsa.org

FWIW - For What It's Worth

BTW - By The Way

LRN - Lead Round Nose (bullet)

JHP - Jacketed Hollow Point (bullet)

SWC - Semi-wadcutter (bullet)

LWC - Lead Wadcutter (bullet)

FMJ - Full Metal Jacket (round nose jacketed bullet)

PF - Power Factor ( used in competitive shooting sports to determine scoring and eligibility PF=(bullet weight in gr. * velocity) / 1000 )

·
Registered
373 Posts
I see FP used for "firing pin" on boards where the guns have them instead of strikers as are used in the M&P. If FP is used in conjunction with a bullet, it is flat point, which is actually on a flattened point on a normal bullet shape. I see these in jacketed and plated bullets.

MSH-Mainspring housing. Another part you won't find referring to M&P. This makes me think M&P shooters need NEW abbreviations for things like the interchangeable grips-LG, MG, SG (large, med., small grips). BURT for Burwell trigger, BOWT for Bowie trigger....because BOT and BUT didn't look right.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Ok, I;ll go through what I use that hasn't been covered, or might have differing meanings than already listed.

FPS - firing pin stop or firing pin safety or feet per second (although rarely in context of shooting, frames per second).

FTE - failure to extract, failure to eject.

FTEx - failure to extract.

FTEj - failure to eject.

PF - power factor (muzzle velocity * grain weight of projectile)/1000

JSP - jacketed soft point.

IIRC - if I recall correctly

OAL - overal length.

That's all I can think of for now that haven't been covered.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not an abbreviation but more of a definition...can someone explain the terms "into or out of battery"? I think it means ready to fire or not ready but a clarification for us rookies would be helpful. Seems like curious terminology.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Dakotapix said:
Not an abbreviation but more of a definition...can someone explain the terms "into or out of battery"? I think it means ready to fire or not ready but a clarification for us rookies would be helpful. Seems like curious terminology.

In battery, means the slide is fully forward and locked up. out of battery means any condision other than that. once the slide and barrel cease to be oriented to each other the same as in the fully orward and locked up position, you are technically not in battery any more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I see that there could be two lists, one for gun related abbreviations, one for internet related abbreviations:

The first is an extension of LMAO which stilfx mentioned above, which is in common use.

ROTFLMAO - Rolling on the floor laughing my "butt" off.

AFAIK - As Far as I Know.

RTFM - Read the manual.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For me personally, I just want the gun related abbrev's. but there could be some other people out there that dont know the normal internet chat abbrev's either, so all is good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can somebody tell me what POA stands for? I did a search on the website Dan suggested but it came back with 174 results and I don't want to filter through them all.

Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
WWB?

I saw it while looking through the ammo forum. Does it stand for Winchester White Box?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts