MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting my new 9mm MP. I started with WWB 115 grain bullets. This is an easy shooting pistol and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Since I bought this gun to shoot steel plates, I've been shooting at 7 yards. The best groups I had with the WWB were .875" off a bench and .800" offhand. The shots are about 1" above point of aim. When I go out to 48 feet, my groups go down the tube. So far, my Springfield Armory LW Champion is more accurate at 21 and 48 feet but I have hopes of improving with my M&P.

If the groups are printing about 1" high at 7 yards, how high above POA would they be at 16 yards?

I've cast a bunch of lead 124 grain bullets out of a Lee mold and have been trying to work up an accurate load using Winchester 231 powder. The best group at 7 yards has been .50 to .81 but hasn't been repeatable.

If anyone has any accurate loads they'd like to share, I'd been interested. I'd like to use W231, Clays or Power Pistol as that's what I have on hand. From what I've read on the Brian Enos forum, Clays doesn't seem to be very popular.

What kind of groups are you getting at different distances?

Thanks, rjs

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
The accuracy of a pistol is defined by the shooter, almost all pistols (from reputable manufacturers) are capable of shooting a lot more accurately than the person can shoot them, that's why a Ransom Rest is often used in the tests in the magazines, to take out the human element.

The differences in how well an individual can shoot a particular pistol over another one can be a number of things, the 1911 as an example has a 5" barrel, and has a longer sight radius than the M&P, the sights might be easier for your eyes to use, and of course the trigger comes into the equation, the single action trigger of a 1911 can be fairly easy to master, certainly easier than the M&P's trigger. IMHO the double action trigger of the M&P is preferable for a defensive pistol, it's safer for the individual person, you can train a person to be safe with the single action trigger of a 1911, but the M&P's trigger is safer for the "average shooter".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G56 said:
The accuracy of a pistol is defined by the shooter, almost all pistols (from reputable manufacturers) are capable of shooting a lot more accurately than the person can shoot them, that's why a Ransom Rest is often used in the tests in the magazines, to take out the human element.

The differences in how well an individual can shoot a particular pistol over another one can be a number of things, the 1911 as an example has a 5" barrel, and has a longer sight radius than the M&P, the sights might be easier for your eyes to use, and of course the trigger comes into the equation, the single action trigger of a 1911 can be fairly easy to master, certainly easier than the M&P's trigger. IMHO the double action trigger of the M&P is preferable for a defensive pistol, it's safer for the individual person, you can train a person to be safe with the single action trigger of a 1911, but the M&P's trigger is safer for the "average shooter".

Thanks for the reply, John. My Champion is 4" so the M&P actually has a a sight radius that is about 1" longer. I like the sights better on the M&P. I think some of the problem is me and the differences in the trigger pull. The other is, I just haven't "dialed in" the right powder and charge wt. for this bullet. And, I could be this particular Lee design 124 grain bullet isn't going to shoot well in my particular M&P.

I wonder if the barrel needs more breaking in? The bores on my 1911s and XD40SC are shiny and very smooth. The bore on my M&P looks very rough and appears to be coated with the same stuff the exterior of the barrel is finished with. Perhaps some JB paste?

Thanks, rjs

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Sometimes bullet choice can make a night and day difference, so you might want to try some different bullets. The interior of the barrel on my MP40 is bright and shiny, I"m wondering if you might have some lead build up in the barrel? The JB bore paste is supposed to be pretty good at getting deposits out of barrels, it's certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G56 said:
Sometimes bullet choice can make a night and day difference, so you might want to try some different bullets. The interior of the barrel on my MP40 is bright and shiny, I"m wondering if you might have some lead build up in the barrel? The JB bore paste is supposed to be pretty good at getting deposits out of barrels, it's certainly worth a try.

Yeah, I'm afraid it may be a bullet design problem. But, I did come up with some very accurate loads with the Lee Tumble Lube design bullet in both 45 ACP and 40 S&W si I'm still hopeful I'll find a good combination for the 9mm.

Nope, no lead in the bore. I've shot lead for years and cast and loaded my own lead, as well, so am pretty much "tuned in" to the "leading" thing. Anyone remember the old .357 lead factory ammo they used to sell 30 years ago? Man, that stuff would turn my Ruger 357s into smooth bores in about 10 shots. Nasty stuff to get out, too.

The inside of my bore and the feed ramp is the same black color and texture as the outside of my barrel. I never gave it much thought, but I've never owned any other guns where the inside of the barrel wasn't "white steel" colored and shiny.

rjs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts