MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for your input on what you're shooting for practice ammo that seems to work. Manufacturer and weight would be MOST helpful I'm new to this game and just trying to figure out what our 1/9 twist barrel seems to like...

tia, y'all!

F

·
0 Posts
Re: Best practice ammo for the M&P15's???

czydj said:
I'm looking for your input on what you're shooting for practice ammo that seems to work. Manufacturer and weight would be MOST helpful I'm new to this game and just trying to figure out what our 1/9 twist barrel seems to like...

tia, y'all!
====

I have not been able to get out past 25 yards because of indoor range. But I have had good groups using 55Gr. Fioocchi and A-Merc. I picked up some HSM 55Gr V-Max Range at the Wanenmacher's Arms Show today and will give it a go soon. Myself I would stay far away from reloaded Ammo.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Most will use wolf 55gr for plinking. I have a couple thousand rounds laying around I'll let go for the right price.

F

·
0 Posts
Jester said:
Most will use wolf 55gr for plinking. I have a couple thousand rounds laying around I'll let go for the right price.
===

Just why may I ask is this Wolf Ammo. just laying around. :roll:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jester said:

FWIW, I plink with a purpose, not just to punch holes in paper. From your research, is that weight one of the more accurate rounds out of a 1/9 twist barrel? On your other bit of info, I can get 55gr Wolf for .21/1000 delivered.

F

·
0 Posts
czydj said:
[quote name='Jester']Most will use wolf 55gr for plinking. I have a couple thousand rounds laying around I'll let go for the right price.

FWIW, I plink with a purpose, not just to punch holes in paper. From your research, is that weight one of the more accurate rounds out of a 1/9 twist barrel? On your other bit of info, I can get 55gr Wolf for .21/1000 delivered.[/quote]

===

What I noticed today at the Wanenmacher's Arms Show was the Wolf Ammo. was not being bought by many lookers. Many boxs were sitting there with few if any buyers. People really don't wish to use Wolf unless forced to. :wink:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
WWB $6.47 per 20 rounds at Walmart... Wolf ammo besides their .22LR, IMHO is dirty meaning it will gunk your chamber and barrel up very quickly. Winchester however is fairly clean but not as cheap as Wolf.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the Wolf info...

Getting back to the original question, what weight bullets are you shooting and what have y'all found to be most accurate from our 1/9 twist barrels?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welll loookeee here...

Someone pointed me to:

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm

AND

If the information is accurate, (it appears to be, at first glance), we can shoot just about anything up to 75-77gr bullets and the M856 tracers with good accuracy. DOGGGONE it... I was going to run out and get a thousand rounds of M856 tracer ammo to delight the neighbors with a sound and light show...
NOT!!!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've been considering getting a .22lr conversion kit and dedicated .22lr upper for my AR. I refuse to spend $500 for 1,000rds of 5.56 ammo. It's ridiculous. And I'm not too fond of Wolf - although all of my AR's have always shot it without any issues. I'm a SS109/M855/XM193 fan.

I actually just bought a bolt action .223 with a threaded barrel so I can still shoot .223 suppressed, and have fun, without wasting so much money. $15/mag is insane.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
josh said:
I've been considering getting a .22lr conversion kit and dedicated .22lr upper for my AR. I refuse to spend $500 for 1,000rds of 5.56 ammo. It's ridiculous. And I'm not too fond of Wolf - although all of my AR's have always shot it without any issues. I'm a SS109/M855/XM193 fan.

I actually just bought a bolt action .223 with a threaded barrel so I can still shoot .223 suppressed, and have fun, without wasting so much money. $15/mag is insane.

I've got some Wolf I'm going to shoot and I'll see how it runs. I've got a little PRVI and some other more premium ammo, but nothing that cost me $15/30rd mag. When we go broke buying ammo I guess we'll have to stop, eh?

NOTE:

After re-reading ammo-oracle, it appears bullet length should be considered before weight. The 1/7 twist will stablize longer, heavier rounds than the 1/9 can. But, given we are shooting 55/62gr lead FMJ bullets and not the loonger, steel tipped, armor piercing rounds, I'm expecting good accuracy out to 100yds with either.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I use WWB, but i've been looking at getting some Wolf. One thing I ALWAYS remember when reading reviews: you never know unless you try yourself. Wolf is so cheap, you can always buy 60 rds for 3 full mags, and try for yourself. I've heard good and bad reviews from reliable and not reliable resources, but I will never know until I try it myself.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
If you want good ammo. Tap 75 grain was the most accurate non handloaded for me.

i never had any problems with wolf other than dirty..

where do you get it for .21/thousand???

best I can find is 208$/1000 at the sportsmans guide in stock.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
C4iGrant said:
The Hornady TAP Practice is a good choice IMHO.

C4

How much is it a pack? Most Hornady i've seen, I don't think i'd be willing to shoot 100+ rds down range on just a casual day.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='C4iGrant']The Hornady TAP Practice is a good choice IMHO.

C4

How much is it a pack? Most Hornady i've seen, I don't think i'd be willing to shoot 100+ rds down range on just a casual day.[/quote]

$21.95 per box and discounts on QTY orders.

C4

1 - 18 of 18 Posts