MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed. I searched and didn’t find an answer.

I moved from 1911’s to M&Ps in about 2011. I am trained and proficient in the use of pistols with a TS. I also carry appendix and prefer it. All 4 of my M&Ps have them.

That said I have been drooling over the 5” 9mm but only the tan one comes with a TS. I’ve heard with the 2.0s you can add them which wasn’t the case with the 1.0s which only allowed the removal. If I was to get this pistol I would want to add one for consistency of training.

Is this actually possible? Can someone point me in the direction of a instructional video or something as well as a source to purchase a TS?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You will need the thumb safety, detent and spring. There are youtube videos which describe how to install the thumb safety, I bought 1 set from Gunpartscorp, one from Speedshooter Specialties, which is apparently out of business, and the others I have aquired from forum members with WTB ads in the classifieds. I will not carry a gun without a thumb saftey, but sometimes you can find a good deal on a non-safety model and it is worth the expense and trouble add it. As I understand, the thumb saftey can be added to any model that has the trapazoid shape plugs on the frame where the thumb safety is installed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nurmrich/Gunparts lists all three parts. The safety levers are in stock but the detent and spring show out of stock. One nice thing about all M&P frames is that the notches needed to clear the safety levers are already in the frame but filled with removable plugs so you don't have to do any frame modifications. BTW, what's wrong with the FDE 5" version that has the thumb safety? I know I wasn't nuts about the color at first but did get used to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Nothing is wrong with FDE but I prefer the less tactical black. I’m a civilian and always felt awkward sporting FDE anything

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I prefer black or stainless to other colored guns. Practically; it makes matching aftermarket parts much easier.

That said; I do have a Wilson Combat 1911 with an OD green frame. But, because of that; I had to buy Wilson stainless parts, and pay extra for each part to be finished in Armor Tuff OD green to update the pistol a bit (it’s 15 years old now).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I considered installing a safety on my 2.0 but changed my mind , I found just the levers on MGW and lever with parts on ebay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts