MP-Pistol Forum banner

How often should you clean and oil for weekend shooter 3-500 rounds a week?

• Every week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every other week

• Once a month

• When the gun starts to have issues from not being cleaned

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
M&p 2.0 10mm the lords caliber
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just bought my first gun a mp 2.0 10mm a couple months ago and I’m looking for some advice on cleaning and lubricating. I’m not that much of a novice I can field strip and clean and hit the oil points but how often should I do that and what cleaning and oil products do you guys use do you have any little tricks of the trait to get into those hard to reach trouble areas. Can it be bad for the gun to clean too often. I’ve seen videos where guys will remove the firing pin clean and even put a little oil on it from my little knowledge I thought putting oil on the firing pin was a big no no

·
Registered
8 Posts

Some clean and lube after every trip to the range. Some every now and then. I would double check the manual for advice from SW.

I would definitely encourage you to check out the Slip 2000 products. They are all I ever use.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm one of the "shoot it/clean it" guys. Sometimes I clean them without having shot them. I carry a 1.0 M&P 9MM PC 5" outside all the time. It gets dusty, grassy, muddy/dirty without every firing a shot, so I field strip it and clean it/lube it sometimes once or twice a week.

The "hard to reach" spots get brushed with an old tooth brush and wiped with a patch.

Beside the usual clean/oil spots I also put a drop of lube in spots that don't traditionally get lubed. The lube is not for lubrications but for rust/corrosion protection. I store the pistol on it's left side. So, every so often (no set schedule) I'll put a drop of oil on the roll pins ends (n the right side) and on the dove tails/sides of the front/rear sights. I wipe off the excess and hope the rest eventually seeps its way into the areas that get sweat/rain in them but can't be seen/inspected/wiped down without removing the sights.

I'm an "over oiler" and I put drops here and there and wipe off the excess (on the outside.) When I wipe the outside down to put it away I can see a difference between the flats of the slide and the gripping surfaces used to rack the slide. I use the toothbrush and a drop, or two, of oil (as needed) to make sure there is some protection there, too. Then wipe off with the oily rag. I know they say stainless steel doesn't corrode but that's not true. It does corrode but not as easily as high carbon steel and in a different way/appearance. I hate rust/corrosion.

Lots of different oils/lubes will work. Same for the cleaners.

The only special stuff I use is some bore cleaners. And only now and then. One removes copper fouling and the other removes lead residue. Most of the time I just use the old Hoppes#9 for bore cleaning/powder residue removal. The special stuff is only used now and then. Bore Tech makes the special stuff I use and it works. The lead you can usually see, the copper residue is tougher to see.

A range gun is a range gun (I don't really own any of those) and a lot of people don't mind if they get so dirty/dry of lube that they malfunction. The just slop some more lube on them, go to their back up pistol, or go clean the pistol and continue. Not an option for a self defense pistol. I do have guns I don't carry and most of them never come out of the safe other than an annual cleaning/inspection/lubing. If I take one to the range for old times sake I clean/lube it when I come home.

To me shooting, cleaning, reloading and working on my own guns is a hobby I enjoy. I also work on my old cars and change the oil/filter in them, too. Just me.

Good luck with your new M&P. The two best feeling, best fitting handguns I've owned are the M&P 1.0/2.0 guns and the CZ75 guns.

·
Registered
45 SWPC 45 ported
4 Posts
I clean my guns after every range visit which is usually 2 to 3 guns and total ammo 300 to 400 rounds.
My SW 45 with the ported barrel is usually the dirtiest including the magazines.
I bought the gun used from the range however even when I buy a new gun I field strip and clean and lube it before firing.
I keep my cars and guns spotless and over maintain. 😋

·
Registered
681 Posts
I clean a gun after every range session, and I clean my carry pistols often enough that I don't develop dust bunnies.

I no longer fret over the brands of oil or cleaners, I simply use Mobil 1 for the oil and Hoppes #9 for the cleaner. I purchased small plastic bottles with a fine tip to dispense the oil, and a single quart of Mobil 1 lasts forever.

Reactions: Shield Fan
1 - 5 of 5 Posts