MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents,

We had a great range day today. It is a highlight in my shooting life, as I was able to shoot 8 different handguns today, not including my M&P 40.

I can state that I am infactuated with the Kimber, ( I believe Competition II). I was also able to shoot a Gold Cup 45, the Glock 21, ( did not like it, it was like holding onto a 2X4), Khar 40, Beretta 92 in 9, Ruger Mk III, 6 inch with a red dot scope, WS&W 22A-1, etc..

I really enjoy my M&P 40 and it is my daily carry. However, the Kimber was so sweet, POA=POI, that I may purchase one soon, very soon and it may become my new best friend.

I put 100 rounds through the Kimber with no issues. Damn, I almost love this gun.

I put 250 rounds through my M&P 40 with only one fail to bang soft strike, re-fed the round and still no bang. Not the guns fault with over 800 through it and No Issues to date,

Khar 40 was a handful and not a fun range gun. But either is my S&W 637 with any .38 load, especially +P. I presently carry the 637 with +P for lighter climates.

The 22s were a no brainer and alot of fun. Talk about POA vs POI, this is as tight as I have ever experienced. 1-2 inch groups at 25 yards.

I will keep the MP 40, as I really enjoy this gun. But I am shopping for a Kimber in 45.

Best regards,

TQ

·
Registered
323 Posts
Kimbers are pretty fun pistols. I got a pro ten 2 high cap Kimber. Its a polymer framed 1911. Fun to shoot, but had some FTF problems at first but kimber made it right after 3 months. But its a keeper now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Targetsup,

Thanks. I would like to know any problems that you had with Kimber, if any, before I make a purchase. They certainly build a fine handgun based upon my limited but personal knowledge.

The Kimber that I shot today was very sweet.

Brgds,

TQ

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
Back in 1970 I bought a Colt Gold Cup Series 70, beautiful pistol but it gave me fits with feeding problems, I should have had a good 1911 man do a reliability job on it, but I got tired of the hassles and sold it about 5 years later, boy did I goof up on that! That's one of those things you look back later and think about how dumb it was to sell that pistol... :oops:

I'd been wanting to get another 1911 with good match sights for a long time, finally bought a Kimber Match Target a few years ago, it has been an absolute delight, feeds everything I throw at it, and it's more accurate than I can see nowadays. I love my 1911's, but for defensive work I like the MP40 better!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G56,

I most likely shot over 700 rounds today, so please excuse my typing, as my wrists are slow. The Gold Cup I shot today was great, and most likely great for it's time. It was tight and true, but not like the Kimber.

The Kimber was a true joy to range shoot. How many weapons can you say that about? I also enjoy my M&P 40 and have in excess of 800 through it right now. I will keep the 40 in carry until I obtain and prove to myself that a Kimber is a worthy carry

brgds

tjq

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that! I can possibly get one now and then wait for "later", as my wife says I am a gun nut. To her defense, she is an very good shooter and has no problems going to the range on a fairly regular basis.

I will shop hard and look for a slightly used Kimber Ultra Carry II.

Best regards,

TJQ

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have several 1911's including a Kimber Classic in 45. It is one of my favorites. I've shot it in USPSA Limited 10 and Single Stack and it is a very fun pistol to shoot. And once I bought quality magazines it has run flawlessly. You won't be disappointed in a Kimber

·
Registered
41 Posts
kimbers

+1 on the slightly used Kimbers....the factory paper work often refers to breal in period...pay someone else to break it in for you. I have owned four Kimbers...my favorite is the Ultra Carry CDP. Fine gun, lots of fun, flawless in action, only problem 7 rounds....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kimbers can be excellent pistols that need very little work before being fit to be carried as a duty gun. If you decide to take the plunge, you will be happiest by choosing a Kimber that has no Series II parts (that means, any model that does not have a "II" designation after the model name), and has an internal extractor.

That is not to say the Series II or External Extractor guns will not work, but you will increase your chance of success with a problem-free pistol exponentially if you heed my advice. The Kimber Warrior is a good choice, or a Series I pistol on the secondary market is also not a bad deal. If you plan on having any metalwork done, keep in mind that all the small parts on a late model Kimber are blackened stainless, which means if you cut on it, you will have to paint it or replace any small parts with carbon steel ones.

Once you get the gun, shoot the heck out of it (minimum 500 rounds) and see what problems crop up, if any. If not, keep on truckin and enjoy your pistol.

Here is link to a thread about a Kimber I reworked with a minimal number of parts replacement:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showf...mp;page=0#39028

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts