MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 1200 rounds through my MP45. It has been running great. There is one thing I have never seen in all of my years of shooting. After about 150 rounds there is so much powder residue that the front sight white dot is not even visible any longer.

I have been using a full mix of ammo from WWB and AE red box to Georgia Arms and they all seem to deposit the residue to the point that the white dot is the same dark grayish color as the rest of the muzzle end and full front sight is gray and difficult to focus on.

This is a new phenomenon to me. Anyone else seeing it.

Oh to have the vision I did when I was 25 where the front sight was crisp and clear
These 55 year old eyes need all the help they can get and I am where I need the dots.

I just got a fiber optic front sight from the M&P store and hope to install later this week. Hopefully it stays visible during a shoot. Until then I need a toothbrush to keep it visible.

I haven't had a chance to shoot my new M&P9 to see if it the same.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
uhhh.. never seen it?

Just how much shooting did you do, and with what, in all your years of shooting. It's a pretty common occurance. In fact, the only pistols I own that it hasn't happened on is a .22 semi-auto and a desert eagle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was shooting my 1911 side by side with the M&P with about 300 rounds in each and the M&P has more residue than the 1911 on the sight. The front sight on the M&P is shorter so that may be why is is so dirty at the back end of the sight with the white dot.

The fiber optic sight is longer than both of them so that may cure my problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
To answer your question, Yes I have the same issue. I use an old toothbrush with some hand soap and a Qtip, cleans it right up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ever thought of cleaning it? :wink:

·
Registered
56 Posts
trouble said:
To answer your question, Yes I have the same issue. I use an old toothbrush with some hand soap and a Qtip, cleans it right up.

A Qtip always worked for me when those sights blacken.

·
Registered
434 Posts
mine is as white as my teeth anytime :mrgreen:. as a general rule where oil is there the dirt also be. :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, my MP45 front sight gets very dirty.

No biggie as I'm gonna get other sights. (I do think if the front sight blade extended back another 1/8" or so it'd stay cleaner; something about the design of the inset of the slide nose, in relation to the front sight position) may be helping direct some gas up there.)

The gun's surfaces weren't really oily, but I was shooting Winchester 'white box' 230gr FMJ, which dies seem dirtier than other brands.

Overall I loved the gun. Trigger needs to be lighter but I assume that will reduce a bit in time, and it's gotta get Burwell-ized anyway

Bill Wiese

San Jose CA

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Friends I shoot with have both XD, Glock and M&P 45's. The muzzle area of all the 45's are quite dirty when we finish a day's shooting. My M&P40 and previously XD40 always end up clean. My M&P9 and XD9 also stay clean. We all hand load and use the same powder, Vihtavuori N340.

What we have concluded right wrong or indifferent is the lower pressure of .45 rounds (15,000-17,000psf vs 30,000 psf region) result in less complete powder burn resulting in greater amounts of soot.

The interior of the .45's have hevier soot deposits also.

:twisted:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts