MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just crossed the 8000 round mark with my 9 and noticed a new wear make next to there the shell hits up against the firing pin hole. Wondering if this is something I should worry about or not? The mark is to the left of the firing pin.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Are you talking about the teardrop cutout for the firing pin?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No to the side of the firing pin hole away from where the brass would eject. There is a new mark there at the 90 degree.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think he's talking about the spot on the side there where the barrel hood would lock up.

It actually looks like there is some wear on both sides.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
This is a picture of the other side of the breechface from my gun at 16k rounds. It also shows wear. Hasn't caused any problem in terms of reliability or accuracy in the 5,000 rounds I've shot since taking the picture.

It's worth noting that my barrel isn't standard and it doesn't have the Melonite finish, so that may have an effect on how the slide is wearing at these particular contact point.

·
Registered
370 Posts
dallan said:
[quote name='jbparrothd21']Are you talking about the teardrop cutout for the firing pin?

By the way, what is that teardrop cutout. I see the same type of wear on my pistol.[/quote]

It is manufactured with that tear drop.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
dallan said:
By the way, what is that teardrop cutout. I see the same type of wear on my pistol.

It's not wear. It is manufactured that way to alleviate issues that could come from shooting high-pressure ammo. It was done when Smith began making the 9mm guns in response to testing with loads such as the Winchester RA9TA (127gr +p+). In fact, the M&P9 may be the only gun specifically designed to handle that ammo well. (though obviously many other guns function fine with it, too)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I forgot to mention that I have a Full Size M&P 40 with only a slight mark. It doesn't really look manufactured as it looks slightly off centre. Is it still normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is my answer from smith

Regarding the mark under the firing pin hole and the "primer swipe":

- that cut is made to prevent buidup in that area

-the strikes have primer swipe that is normal

thank you

Just in case anybody was wondering.

·
Registered
83 Posts
ToddG said:
This is a picture of the other side of the breechface from my gun at 16k rounds. It also shows wear. Hasn't caused any problem in terms of reliability or accuracy in the 5,000 rounds I've shot since taking the picture.

It's worth noting that my barrel isn't standard and it doesn't have the Melonite finish, so that may have an effect on how the slide is wearing at these particular contact point.

what kind of barrel do you have in there?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts