MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there do any serious airsofting? Not backyard battles with guns from Academy, but the more "serious" skirmishes at paintball fields with organized groups. I got into it because my teenage son is into it and it is damned fun! Last time we ran a sort of capture the flag scenario where we had to take a building while still holding on to our firebases..very challenging. I have an M14 and a 1911, both extremely realistic..get you killed real if out on the street. My son has an M-4, a H&K G36, a Beretta 9mm and a Sig P226. We deck out in full military BDU's (my wife calls them our costumes just to aggravate). Its a great way to pass a Saturday and get time with the kid.[/b]

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've never tried it, and never given it an ounce of thought. But a buddy of mine brought his 9 year old son out to the range with us a few nights ago, and his son has recently got M4, MP5, and Glock17 airsoft weapons, and it's really neat how realistic those things look and function. He brought the MP5 and G17 out to the range, and he played around off behind us while we shot. We were running some drills, taking turns, and so when it wasn't our turn we usually ended up back in the rear playing around with the airsoft guns and the kid. I could definitely see how those things could be some major fun!

I did some googling, and good airsoft weapons aren't cheap either! However, for their realistic feel, I guess they couldn't be dirt cheap. I don't, however, see how an airsoft "sniper rifle" can cost $1000. That just seems OVERpriced, to me. How can $1000 goes into the making of that "weapon?"

·
Registered
937 Posts
Heck, if I had a grand, I'd buy a real one. Some of the gas powered ones are nice, but all of the good ones are pricey. The variety is incredible. I saw a Sigma series airsoft at the store the other day. The good type that is weighted accurately. they wanted 70 bucks for it!!! I like to play a bit, but not that much. I'd rather go to IDPA and get some live-fire practice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
can't beat the cheap ammo though!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
One could set up some pretty realistic training with Airsoft stuff. What better way to train??? Good stuff in my opinion. Haven't done it, though.

·
Registered
936 Posts
For training great,

for fun; kinda dorky.

Just my opinion, I certainly would be tempted to do it once, though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dorky yes, but definitley fun. You use some pretty good tactics in the battles, and some of the guys have some pretty pricey guns like M49 SAWs and the like. Its also a pretty good workout.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ive been called a dork more than once in my life!

·
Registered
56 Posts
How does it work?

With paintball, if you're hit, it's visible and you're out.

With airsoft, these things fire at ridiculously high rpms, how do you NOT get hit? Honor code? Does getting hit even matter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
ihavefish said:
How does it work?

With paintball, if you're hit, it's visible and you're out.

With airsoft, these things fire at ridiculously high rpms, how do you NOT get hit? Honor code? Does getting hit even matter?

Honor code or you can use paintball 6 mm bbs

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Every time the subject of airsoft comes up....all I can think of is this photo...

·
Registered
225 Posts
OK, I'm trying to put that image out of my mind....Seriously, airsoft is a blast. I started out with a replica of my Limited gun, Green gas, reciprocating slide, recoil impulse. I started shooting in the garage and am now planning full stages in the greenspace behind my house. They aren't real but they are a blast to shoot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I personally couldn't justify spending the money on a fake gun. That's like buying a blow-up doll for $500 because it's cheaper to maintain than a real chick. To me it doesn't make sense.

Or does it?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've used them to drill stuff in my backyard...draws, dynamic movement, etc. We've messed around with them doing disarm attempts w/ eye protection...

I don't get into the scenario stuff with long-guns and camo....If I wanted to play Army that bad, I'd sign a contract.

I've had fun playing paintball before...but spending that much time, money, and effort to try and look like your in the military.....just seems kinda sad to me.

If your a kid, and that's your thing, great. If its an opportunity to spend some time with your kids, that's wonderful.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It only makes sense if you want to practice as much as possible. Especially if you live inside the city limits and the closest range is 15 miles away. It is a tool to improve your gun handling skills. Regular practice doing transition drills with my airsoft in the garage is a good addition to dry fire techniques. I'm restricted to that since I live in town. Besides, its just fun.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts