MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking down the road to my next purchase and am thinking of the Russain Sniper Package with the many of my personal extras :wink: :wink:. Would anyone reccomend a different variation of this widespread rifle??? I know a lot of people love the ar-15 but as my preference the AK-47 would be better for me I have used M-4, M16 for 5 years now and would be happier with the mother of all terrorist assault rifle.. any suggestions???-Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
If you don't care about accuracy or ergonomics then AK's are great.




I had a Chinese AKS years ago. It was as accurate as an average handgun. The stock was too short. The positioning/operation of the controls (safety, mag release, etc.) were crap. The sights were crap. If you emptied a 30-rounder rapid fire you would burn your hand, because there wasn't enough forearm.



Keep in mind, the AK series was designed for poorly trained conscripts who are told to "point it in that direction and fire."



On the plus side, I put thousands upon thousands of all kinds of cheap surplus crap through it and it always went "bang". And compared with the AR, you could run over an AK mag with a truck and it would still work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bam-bam said:
If you don't care about accuracy or ergonomics then AK's are great.
With the right accessories and SHOOTER a blow gun could rip a fly's wing off :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
My Saiga shoots very well with a 20 inch barrel.

The only downside to the Saigas are that they are limited to a 10 round capacity with a full Monte-Carlo stock unless you do a 922r compliant conversion which is actually very easy to accomplish. The conversion will allow you to use mil-surp mags and a traditional pistol grip configuration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
I am looking down the road to my next purchase and am thinking of the Russain Sniper Package with the many of my personal extras :wink: :wink:. Would anyone reccomend a different variation of this widespread rifle??? I know a lot of people love the ar-15 but as my preference the AK-47 would be better for me I have used M-4, M16 for 5 years now and would be happier with the mother of all terrorist assault rifle.. any suggestions???-Jason


Jason



Are you thinking of expense it takes to shoot an AK, its beast and eat likes one too... FinalFusion (Kris) and you should hook up, he has one and I am trying to convince him if he wants a precision rifle spend the money on his AR, not the AK... Maybe to the both of your heads together you will come up with something of Hybrid AR/AK...
But after seeing that guy shoot his AK at 100m. well I'll be damned if I wasn't wrong to say that AK's are a dime a dozen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
So, what is the limiting factor of accuracy on the AK....besides the ballistics of the 7.62x39mm



Personally I believe that it has something to do with the heavy bolt and the lack of performance barrels which even if they were available are a pain in the butt to change without a press. The short site distance and troublesome 'zeroing' in of the rifle does not help either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moxie1c said:
So, what is the limiting factor of accuracy on the AK....besides the ballistics of the 7.62x39mm



Personally I believe that it has something to do with the heavy bolt and the lack of performance barrels which even if they were available are a pain in the butt to change without a press. The short site distance and troublesome 'zeroing' in of the rifle does not help either.


I still plan on getting one but i think to end this post I will use a term that is a little backwards that definitly fits the ak Quantity (rounds) before Quality :wink: :wink: :wink: I will just get a couple 75 round drums and eliminate everything around the target!!!! Great discussion thanks guys-Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I've got an Arsenal AK47 that's a lot of fun to shoot though not as accurate as my Colt HBAR AR15.How accurate do you need? If keeping everything on the target at 100 yards is good enough then go for the AK. If you're looking for sub minute of angle accuracy you'll have to go another route.It is a fun gun to shoot- just make sure that you get one with the sight rail on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RichK said:
I've got an Arsenal AK47 that's a lot of fun to shoot though not as accurate as my Colt HBAR AR15.How accurate do you need? If keeping everything on the target at 100 yards is good enough then go for the AK. If you're looking for sub minute of angle accuracy you'll have to go another route.It is a fun gun to shoot- just make sure that you get one with the sight rail on it.


Could you post some pics?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I have shot 3 gun matches at my local clubs using my Vector AK, I have had no problems with the rifles accuracy. Now granted the targets are normally no more than 100 yards out. One thing to remember is that AK's seem to have the same curse as 1911's, there are great builders, good builders and then the ones that just build rifles to throw bullets downrange. One postive thing about my AK is that I have placed really well in some of the matches just because my rifle WORKED every time, alot of AR's choke, for me the AK is my first choice in a defense rifle. Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
kcevans said:
One postive thing about my AK is that I have placed really well in some of the matches just because my rifle WORKED every time, alot of AR's choke, for me the AK is my first choice in a defense rifle.
I second that emotion. My Yugo AK is quite accurate for an AK, but my AR is WAY more accurate than my Yugo. My Yugo always works, though......regardless of how long it has been since it was cleaned, how much sand is in the receiver and mags, no matter what. My AR works good, but it is more fussy. It's got everything to do with tolerances and gas systems. The direct gas impingement system of the AR gets things messy enough on it's own, without the help of the environment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
If you are looking for a fully accessorized AK variant, then I would suggest looking at Krebs Customs line of AK's. They blow about every other custom AK builder away in terms of build quality, and accuracy. The only other custom AK I would consider comparable to the Krebs is AK-USA Mfg. I have heard both bad & good reports about the overall quality and end performance of Atlantic's AK rifles. Here is a pic of my Krebs KTR-03S:





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You got me drooling if you dont mind how much did she cost?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
About $1200 with a fixed stock. I installed the ACE Ltd side-folder myself. However.... Krebs has discontinued making the KTR-03 model, and is replacing it with the KTR-08 probably in time for the Shot show Feb/08. They have not released any details on its replacement yet, but im sure it will be outstanding. You may get lucky and find a used KTR-03S (Saiga based) or V (Vepr based) floating around used if you look around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
I absolutely love AKs and have no problems hitting what I what out to 200 yards. Of course a $300 SAR will have more trouble than a $1000 Arsenal Inc but that's to be expected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
nickdrak said:
If you are looking for a fully accessorized AK variant, then I would suggest looking at Krebs Customs line of AK's. They blow about every other custom AK builder away in terms of build quality, and accuracy. The only other custom AK I would consider comparable to the Krebs is AK-USA Mfg. I have heard both bad & good reports about the overall quality and end performance of Atlantic's AK rifles. Here is a pic of my Krebs KTR-03S:







Looks good. Looks more like a Galil than an AK. I wish I could get a Galil, but once again I'm in Commifornia. Heck we even have a red star on our state flag.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top