MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I though that there wasn't a worth a darn brass catcher for pistols I ran across a web site for the Akuna Brass Catcher. It doesn't look like they are selling them yet but from the videos it looks like the closest thing I've seen in years to a workable design. All it needs is a better way to dump the empties. Has anybody seen anything like this actually for sale?

http://www.sherwoodakuna.com/brasscatcher.htm

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mmmm Interesting concept. may need to look into this for bench work etc...

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you purchase one of these?

All I have been able to do is go to this "strange individual's website" and watch a couple of video clips. I have not been able to find any information anywhere. It appears to work very well as it attaches to the tactical rail on your pistol. A lefty like me should be able to use it with no problem.

If anyone knows something about this brass catcher, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
range_rider13 said:
How do you purchase one of these?
I haven't been able to figure it out either and gave up. I looked at engineering one for myself using a rail mounted sling mount and some of the steel cloth I mention below but it seems like a lot of bother. so I came up with another idea.

What I have come up with is a modification to the classic back of the hand net brass catcher. I bought a cheapie on eBay for $20, but I found that my M&P didn't throw the brass hard enough to overcome the weight of the cloth sack (which hangs down blocking the back of the mouth) and catch more that half the brass. I took some 23 gauge 1/4" steel "cloth" screen and bent a 2-3/4" deep upside down U the width of the mouth to keep it open and used a hole punch and wire ties to attach it to the inside. That keeps the mouth open. I'll test it later this week. If it works as well as I hope then we have a really cheap semi-DIY solution. I'll post a picture later.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I use a plastic bedliner. We took one out of my dads PU that was new, and use it to cover the log splitter. Works double duty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've emailed this guy a few times now & haven't heard anything back from him. Maybe he's not interested in selling them or he's gone anti-gun on us (he's fallen to the dark side). If he isn't interested in selling them, he should sell the patent so someone else can make them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Akuna brass catcher update

Aegis said:
They are available on www.midwayusa.com. I have used one for the last 10 years. Sure beats picking up the brass. It catches 90% of it.

I just looked at midwayusa & the Akuna brass catcher was nowhere to be seen. I also know why they weren't there. I checked my email this morning to finally find a reply to my emails from Sherwood Akuna, here is his response:

The brasscatcher was intended for personal use and it worked so well that I obtained protection from the patent office from my prototype. Since then refinements have been made to improve the asthetics and accuracy for folks who are not marksmen. A production process with the present materials is underway.

Since the video was made the design refinements reduced the weight by half without compromising strength or function. The brasscatcher in the video actually weighed 83 grams. The new prototype with improved asthetics weighs 37 grams. The wait will be worthwhile.

My wife, who also put a video of of me driving a tow truck too, put up the video way before I was ready to go to market with the idea. However, the video served as a market analysis of sorts. The unexpected response has been unbelievable.

Your inquiry is highly appreciated. I'm working as fast as I can to get it to market.

Wood. .

About a week after I sent the email to which he is responding to in that letter, I hadn't gotten his response yet, so i sent him another email & I got both resposes at the same time. Here is his second response:

When I bought my pistol, the idea for the brasscatcher popped up as soon as I went to the range because the only sign there said to "pick up your brass", not "don't shoot each other."

It never went up for sale because it is still under development. I don't plan to sell crap. I want customer satisfaction when it does go for sale.

The previous email that I just sent was written almost a week ago. Sorry for the delay. My wife and I have gone through deaths in the family on the negative, full custody of my daughter, 17, and a book illustration contract on the positive.

Point of interest, A benefit of the delay. I had my 17 year old daughter shoot the pistol with the brasscatcher attached and found that with her shooting, the pistol jumped more, which allowed cases to actually jump out of the brasscatcher that had already been deposited in the catcher. I have since fixed that problem.

I will stay in touch.

Thank you.

Wood

I can't wait for this to hit the market.

Blaine

·
Registered
96 Posts
I checked Midway also,,the one Ihave must not be made any more. And It was not the Akuna. It was made of plastic and had a mesh bag attached. I still use it and it works ok. I think I paid 20 bucks for it.

u

UPDATE I FOUND THE LINK ON MIDWAY....IT IS DISCONTINUED

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=112864

I'll be looking for this one also,,,looks like a great product...

·
Registered
96 Posts
That looks interesting also. In searching around I also found a rather large net, bouth the size you would use on a lake to scoop up a trout. It was mounted on a pole with a stand. I prefer somehing small and easy to carry. I recover all the brass I shoot for reloading. Some sort of catcher is important to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts