MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I want a no-nonsense pistol to start defensive pistol competition.

I want a combat 9mm for this. My choice has boiled down to a Glock 17 or an MP9. I already have a Para 1911 and a Beretta Elite II .40S&W, both terrific guns.

I keep dry firing the G and the MP, drawing and presenting, sighting, checking the grip, the sights, the trigger.

Two things keeps drawing me to the Glock. The Glock trigger is much smoother than the MP9's. At least the MP9 I was handling today. And the G sights seem easier to see for my old, tired, presbyopic eyes. And, the grip angle of the G isn't a problem for me.

One part of me says, who cares, it's for DP. It's a combat pistol. The other part of me says, hmm...

The MP is part of an excellent deal: pistol, four mags, a kydex holster, mag pouches, all for about as much as a Glock 17 with one mag. So, I wonder. Gritty trigger. Good deal. Gritty trigger. Good deal.

Then, I thought about how the G's trigger dimple annoys my finger. And then I thought about all the accessories available for the G. And then, I thought about how good the MP medium grip felt.

OK. Put me over the edge. Or, if you are tired of this kind of thread, just let me stew up here alone. MP? G? MP? G?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Both are great weapons but I prefer the overall feel of the M&P. The trigger will get better with range time. You cannot go wrong with either as a defensive handgun.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Get whatever you like best. The M&P's trigger can easily be turned into a great trigger - for fairly cheap. Several guys on here own smithing companies that offer trigger jobs that are fantastic over the stock trigger. Dan Burwell even posted instructions on here how to perform it yourself - for free.

I've had 3 M&P's, and 1 Glock. Traded a brand new unfired M&P40c for a Bersa + cash for my wife. The other two M&P's I'm absolutely in love with, and wouldn't get rid of for any other gun. My Glock G19 I had I sold about a month after I bought it and put 30rds through it. Didn't even begin to compare to the M&P's - with the factory connector rod or the 3.5lb LWD one.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If your concern with the M&P is the trigger, that's almost a non-issue since the trigger can be so easily worked on and improved. Get the M&P.

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1 with JBP55. I am a dyed in the wool S&W man so I would take the MP9. I have never liked the Glock trigger, but do like the feel of the G17.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I love the trigger on my M&P40c. It was gritty as hell out of the box, but after 760 rounds it's smooth as silk. I love the M&P, favorite pistol. Buy one you'll love it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can't do a direct comparison between a Glock 9mm and the M&P, but I do have a Glock 23 .40 cal and an M&P 9mm fullsize. I am much more accurate with the M&P and it is much more fun to shoot. One of the things that I like about the M&P is the trigger. It smooths out nicely after a couple hundred rounds and a few cleanings.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The trigger work on the M&P can be done by most novice gunsmiths and it reguires $0 in parts! I have both the M&P and the Glock 17 and 22. I would buy the M&P anyday over the Glock if the $ was the same!! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
A combat pistol is pretty much anything that shots a bullet. Anyway you can't go wrong with either a Glock 17 or M&P. The Glock is a long proven pistol but the out of the box trigger is not great for competition because it's too heavy. The long slide Glock 34 is better for competition due to longer sight radius plus it comes with extended slide stop and 3.5 lb trigger. The M&P trigger pulls are often gritty and inconsistent out of the box which Smith needs to do something about. But they often break in well as others have said. I don't agree with those who say it is a non-issue as you can get the trigger worked on. You should not have to do that. One other thing aobut Glock triggers is that they can chafe your finger if you shoot high round counts. Not true of the M&P which has a nice wide trigger. I much prefer the Novak sights to Glock sights as they allow more light between the rear sight blades and front sight which most older people prefer. However there are a very wide range of sights (and other accessories) available for Glocks compared to M&P's. The M&P is very ergonomic and Smith is widely considered to have the best customer support in the business. I do think long term most people will be happier with the M&P because of its superior feel. The Glock feels like a tool and there is something to be aid for that but the M&P feels like something special.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts