MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the low down on Federal American Eagle Ammo 9mm 115 fmj. Good, bad, or ugly. My local gun shop just ordered me a case of it.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
It's their generic line, good practice ammo!

·
Registered
210 Posts
A lot of reviewers say they are good target ammo, but can they be used for home defense as well?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you hit the bad guy with a hollow point he may drop instantly, with fmj you may be able to pump 4 or 5 rounds into him before he drops,
would that be more fun. So yes, fmj would be my choice for home defence.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
The basic premise in self defense is to stop the bad guy from attacking you, shooting you, or stabbing you, you are trying to stop them as quickly as possible, hollow point ammo does that much better than full metal jacket, the increased trauma tends to shut them down.

Your mission is to stop them, remember that because if you ever got into a shooting situation you are shooting to stop, not shooting to kill, that may sound like a fine point, but if it were to go to a court action of some sort, civil or criminal, that distinction can make all the difference in the world.

Another thing to consider is over penetration, pistol bullets often penetrate too well, particularly FMJ, if you were in a home defense situation a FMJ will penetrate more interior walls than a hollow point, a FMJ bullet has the capability of penetrating completely through a house, possibly entering a neighboring house and hurting an innocent bystander.

·
Registered
30 Posts
superstar said:
If you hit the bad guy with a hollow point he may drop instantly, with fmj you may be able to pump 4 or 5 rounds into him before he drops,

You're kidding, right?

·
Registered
137 Posts
American Eagle ammo is my favorite target ammo, next would be Speer Lawman, but for the money, American Eagle works great. In my 686+ it never fails, unlike Magtec which has a few duds every box it seems (the primer dents deep, but no bang). In my MP9 I've had no issues with any ammo, but I still prefer American Eagle just in case I need to use it for self defense--I know it will go bang when I pull the trigger.

Ciao,

Effy

E

·
0 Posts
superstar said:

ahahaha but hollowpoints would hurt more than FMJ's.

a few big holes > many small holes

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
morebullets said:
[quote name='superstar']If you hit the bad guy with a hollow point he may drop instantly, with fmj you may be able to pump 4 or 5 rounds into him before he drops,

You're kidding, right?[/quote]

The smile face was the indicator of my bad sence of humor

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back to the topic, I havent shot the American Eagle ammo yet but the quality if it looks much better than the cheapo surplus import junk I have been shooting in the past. I feel very good about spending a little more for the better quality ammo.

·
Registered
210 Posts
superstar said:
Back to the topic, I havent shot the American Eagle ammo yet but the quality if it looks much better than the cheapo surplus import junk I have been shooting in the past. I feel very good about spending a little more for the better quality ammo.

I just ordered a case too. Never shot it before, but went off what some of the reviews. Can't wait to load the M&P with the Fed. AE 115 FMJs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts