MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a new handgun owner. Long time hunter. So I know how many rounds I like to keep on hand so I can get a lil practice in, and guarantee I have enough to hunt with during ammo shortages. However I'm curious as to your guys recommendations as to how many rounds I should keep on hand, vs using what ammo I have to practice. I'm planning on buying ammo every chance I can get, but my local guy does a 1 box per day limit. What say ye fellow pistol peeps?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in the same boat as far as store rationing, as is many, many others. And that is IF they have any to sell at all.
But im buying when I can here and there hoping my pile will be enough for when I go back to the range. (Its winter here, and I'm a fair weather fan, outdoor range wise).
I'm certainly not paying gouge prices. I'll wait it out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hate being redundant, but we've seen this before, (Sandy Hook), and it took years to recover. The real question is if there will be a recovery this time. You can bet there'll be a slew of new restrictions and edicts in the weeks and months to come, especially in light of the recent, unpleasant events in D.C. We've had years, the last three in particular, (till Spring 2020), when guns, ammo, and reloading supplies were readily available, reasonably priced, and we had ample opportunity to stock up. I fear, as far as our sport/hobby is concerned, the current situation is the "new normal." Best of luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hate being redundant, but we've seen this before, (Sandy Hook), and it took years to recover. The real question is if there will be a recovery this time.
Definitely. I'm just thankful I'm all set with my other ammo. Wish I'd have bit the bullet (lol the punnnn) years ago and got my pistol sooner, but just didn't have the money. I wonder if any new ammo manufacturers will startup during this. With the right connections, could be a lucrative time to start manufacturing. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
135 Posts
Since the massive crackdown on free speech began two days ago the price of ammunition has skyrocketed - higher by the day. If you can find any at a price that doesn't take most of your retirement fund for two boxes, grab it. Plan on doing mostly dry firing which, if done correctly, is good practice for everything except getting used to the feel of the gun's recoil.

I'm one of the many who put off buying extra ammo last year when it was as cheap as it has been for many years. I thought a year's supply of what I use for shooting regularly would be enough. Now, if you can find any, the price is up to 6 or 8 times what it was a year ago. I could kick myself in the behind, but can't go back in time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I try to keep enough range ammo on hand for a year or two, but I don’t shoot all that much anymore. WWB, Remington, Freedom munitions, whoever has the best online pricing at the time.

All my SD ammo is Federal HST. Target Sports USA use to run boxes of 50 of 40S&W and 9MM for around $20-$25 a couple of times a year. That’s about what 20 round boxes went for around here in the stores. I doubt we will be seeing that for awhile.

This is something way different than the Obama times. I suspect this will last much longer. In the past the manufacturers couldn’t really justify adding machines and people, because they knew eventually those machines would be sitting idle and people would be laid off. It’s possible that now they may be able to justify the capital expenditures; as this may last much longer. We will see.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn't try to stock up now, your checkbook will get flattened. Just get what you need to establish competency with your handgun and refresher range trips (in addition to a box of defensive ammo). Once things calm down start building you stash as you can afford it. As Super Trucker said maintaining a 2 year supply is a good start. I maintain a 3-5 year supply but I cast my own bullets and reload so it's easier and less expensive for me and those like me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't try to stock up now, your checkbook will get flattened.
Makes sense. I think I'll plan on keeping about a month supply, and then just shoot as I find it for now. That way I have some stocked up in case of a poop hits the fan type situation. Luckily I live in a small town, so I get a chance to buy about once a month, but prices are bad, like you referred to. Hopefully things turn around by summer, but I get the feeling it might be a while. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
8 Posts
In Feb 2019, after the election, I started buying what I could. It was real clear where things were goin. The Dimocrats were not going to let Trump alone, work with him, and were doing to obstruct and lie. Well, here we are. I'm, almost 70 and seen this cycle too many times. Take note and remember this and how/what happened. And, I am starting to get concerned we will never recover. Even when Obama got elected I knew we would have corrections. But now, they are actually saying we are enemies of the State if we don't agree with them. Now, in my mind that is insurection against the Constitution. Even during the McCarthy years it was not this bad. I watched the country during the Civil Rights marches and Vietnam. Remember this, after it is all said and done, regardless, they will rack up some changes. Guns being the actual target here becasue without them you have absolutely no recourse when it gets bad, and this is as bad as I've ever seen it. With that I on;t expect Ammo prices to even go back to where they were, and shortages to last at least 3 years. I think I'm stocked to that leve, but if things do not improve in 6-8 months, I will be cutting back on range time, still going, but not having as much 'fun' just plinking.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Do you buy as you use, or wait till we are out of the shortage and price comes back down to buy?
I buy both ammo and reloading components during the “good times.”

I still have a lot of 9mm and .45 acp ammo from before odumbo was elected, and lots more from the good times that came after.

I won’t buy it for the crazy prices we’re seeing now, but if I needed it; that’d be a different story...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I buy both ammo and reloading components during the “good times.”

I still have a lot of 9mm and .45 acp ammo from before odumbo was elected, and lots kore from the good times that came after.

I won’t buy it for the crazy prices we’re seeing now, but if I needed it; that’d be a different story...
Yeah, I Definitely need it. Our local shop isn't marking it up too terribly crazy. (It's still overpriced, but not painful) so I'm going to keep getting a little each month, but I'm not stocking up much so to say. Definitely taking all of your advice and I'll wait to stock up a LOT till the ammo shortage is over... Whenever that will be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I have resorted to meeting people in parking lots to buy ammo. It has been over a year since I could walk into a store and buy any. Many months since I could order certain calibers. I don't see this improving in the next four years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have resorted to meeting people in parking lots to buy ammo. It has been over a year since I could walk into a store and buy any. Many months since I could order certain calibers. I don't see this improving in the next four years.
One of the biggest benefits of living in a small town, is it's easier to get ammo from a store. Problem is they're marked up more than major retailers. But they're still way cheaper than buying from individuals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It really depends on how much you plan on going to the range. I find that whatever I have on hand, I never feel as though it's never really enough. Luckily, I 've bought a decent amount of practice ammo during the good times.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your range time with your handgun (hopefully a S&W).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It really depends on how much you plan on going to the range. I find that whatever I have on hand, I never feel as though it's never really enough. Luckily, I 've bought a decent amount of practice ammo during the good times.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your range time with your handgun (hopefully a S&W).
For now, I have a couple mags of jhp at my house for home defense, and then I pretty much am using ammo as I get it. Since my M&P is new, I just want to get used to it better.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My belief is that ammo supplies will come back... we’ve been through this before not that long ago.

Buy what you need when you need it.

It does hurt that WM stopped stocking center fire, it would be nice if they started carrying it again.

If you can spend the time, try to jump on bulk purchase of 1K rounds then sit back and save your gas running all over town.

My 9mm stash was purchased at avg 25 cents per round. I’m not buying at these prices.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts