MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a .40 M&P Monday went to buy some ammo and wow $$$$ $31.00 for winchester white box. I went to 2 or three different stores all around $30. a box 100 value pack.

Went to walmart they had it for $19.99 a box same stuff. I bought 7 boxes cleaned them out. .40 cal seems to be a 1/3 more then 9mm. ? should have stuck with a 9mm ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ammo seems to be going up in price!!

Ron

·
Registered
471 Posts
Would anyone venture a guess as to what is driving the price up?

Ron

·
Registered
64 Posts
ront said:
Would anyone venture a guess as to what is driving the price up?

Ron

Common wisdom seems to be the industrialization of China. They are buying up all the coper, brass, and lead so the components are getting much more expensive. Add tot hat the increased gas/travel costs to ship these heavy items and you have the price increases we are seeing now for the past year or so.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
Prices have risen sharply on the raw materials used to make the ammo, there are many factors involved, as already mentioned one of them is China, but there are many others.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Lots of reasons for the price increases. As already mentioned other parts of the world like China and India are going through their industrial revolutions so to speak and sucking out resources at break neck speeds. There are also serious increases in fuel costs, not only for shipping, but to actually run the factories making the components and ammo. Then there are the various non value added functionaries that are part of people's supply chains that take a cut of the pie... You would be surprised at just how convoluted most major corporations are when it comes to getting product out the door. Worse, yet youd be appaled at just how much cost is added to each item sold because some beurocrat shuffled some papers acros his desk. Then you have the distributors adding their costs. You dont think that some small gun shop has the juice to go straight to Winchester and buy a couple of cases of 9 or 40... No they have to go through distributors. Walmart may have the juice to buy a couple of truck loads at a time straight from Winchester, but do you think thay are going to undercut the prices by HUGE amounts. No they see that a box of 40 is going for say $15.00. They will undercut that price by enough to get customers into the store and no more. These costs are all eventually passed on to the consumers. There is also the plain and simple supply and demand thing.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
mostly it is the metals market and the energy market.

Energy is increasing overhead. Copper was insanely high, but has come down some. Which has been largley offset by lead increasing as a bulle tuses a lot more lead than copper.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My buddy who is an eletrician is biatching about copper wire going through the roof. At least we can slow down our consumption/purchases where he HAS to buy his wire. Hard for him to pass along the increase too.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Morgan Walker said:
[quote name='choochboost']These are the prices at my Walmart for WWB:

.40 – $19.98

I spent that for a 100rds of 165gn this weekend, is that a bad price?[/quote]

Yes it a good price look at my opening thread.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't know if any of you have a Meijer store by you, but I do and there WWB 100rd's are still only 12.88 for 9mm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've used Walmart quite a bit because of their good prices on ammo... however they are falling into to PC crap in this area- MA doesn't sell anything and NH and ME are succumbing as well. I don't buy the crap that it just isn't a big seller in these areas. I'm starting to reload more now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts