MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was recommended by a few people, (including my local gun dealer) to use Blazer Brass as my target practice ammo, and Samson Ultra for my carry ammo.

I've seen a few reviews online also giving a positive review for Blazer Brass.. but I havent read much about this Samson Ultra stuff (its Israeli made). My local gun dealer highly recommended this, and I figure he must know his stuff, but of course I'd like some additional input.

Can anyone opine as to whether Samson Ultra is a good self-defense round? If its not, I'd love to get some recommendations on what I should be looking for.

Also, is there anything 'better' (and I know thats mostly based on opinions of various people) that Blazer for practice purposes, without getting too costly?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Blazer Brass is fine, so is the aluminum Blazer (which tends to be less expensive and runs very well & accurately in my M&P9). As a general rule, anything from the Big Three (ATK which is Federal, Speer, and CCI; Remington; and, Winchester) should be fine. Some folks have reported issues with the Winchester White Box 115gr 9mm found at WalMart in their M&P's, at least until the gun has been broken in a bit.

I'd follow a similar rule for carry/duty ammo. Start with something from the Big Three; their QC capabilities are simply untouchable by smaller companies. In 9mm, my personal favorites are the 127gr +p+ Winchester Ranger T and the 124gr +p Speer Gold Dot, both of which are on the list chooch referenced.

·
Registered
67 Posts
cvfl said:
I only use Blazer when I don't wanna hassle with recovering the brass. Can't reload it.

I'm sorry, but isn't "Blazer Brass" reloadable? Clearly, the plain Blazer ammo with the aluminum cases is not, but the brass stuff should reload fine. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
67 Posts
rajuabju said:
My local gun dealer highly recommended this, and I figure he must know his stuff, ...

Why do you assume he must know his stuff? Because he is a salesman? What relevant qualifications does he have? Is he an experienced combat surgeon, or a recognized expert on wound ballistics?

Forgive me if I am a little acerbic. Just because you meet someone who works in a gun shop, do not assume they are an expert in anything, except (maybe) turning a profit.

However, you have done a wise thing in looking for another opinion. If you select something from the previously posted list, you will be well served. Be sure to check any carry ammo for reliability in your particular pistol, though.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
rajuabju said:
My local gun dealer highly recommended this, and I figure he must know his stuff, but of course I'd like some additional input.
I don't know your local dealer, but in general terms many dealers are very poor sources of information. I spent a lot of years in retail business management and sales management, when most salespeople recommend something there is usually an incentive for them to do so, either they want to move excess inventory, or someone is providing an incentive for selling that brand of ammo, there are probably a few who actually have your interest in mind, not many...but a few.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for the insight guys. Very glad I checked for some second opinions before potentially wasting $ on ammo which may or may not be what I need.

I'm gonna stick with the Blazer Brass for the range/practice because I've used it a couple times now and it works well for me.

After looking around more, I'm gonna try both the Golden Saber and Speed Gold Dot rounds and see which I like.

Edit-

Now I have a new 'problem' I cant purchase ammo online and have it shipped to me because I live in Los Angeles!? WTF? Are there any online places that are able to ship ammo to Los Angeles?

·
Registered
83 Posts
BateleurRGB said:
[quote name='cvfl']I only use Blazer when I don't wanna hassle with recovering the brass. Can't reload it.

I'm sorry, but isn't "Blazer Brass" reloadable? Clearly, the plain Blazer ammo with the aluminum cases is not, but the brass stuff should reload fine. Am I wrong?[/quote]

I was in the process of editing my post as you were typing...

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
rajuabju said:
Are there any online places that are able to ship ammo to Los Angeles?
Yes, It just depends on the vendor. You'll have to look around.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, last question (for now)...

I've found both the Speer Gold Dot and the Golden Sabers

Both are 124gr, and bother offer me the option of +p or not +p

I understand what the difference is, but I'm not sure what is better for my M&P (and esp. considering I'm still a newbie gun owner).

Which route shall I go?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If I could only choose between those two I would pick the 124gr +p Gold Dot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
rajuabju said:
Ok, last question (for now)...

I've found both the Speer Gold Dot and the Golden Sabers

Both are 124gr, and bother offer me the option of +p or not +p

I understand what the difference is, but I'm not sure what is better for my M&P (and esp. considering I'm still a newbie gun owner).

Which route shall I go?

The +p will offer a little more velocity, at the expense of sharper recoil (though the M&P handles recoil very well, so this will probably make a negligible difference in controllability and shot placement). The +p will wear out your firearm a little more quickly, though the service life of an M&P shooting 9mm +p will still be tens of thousands of rounds, so again the drawback is minor. The +p will probably cost a little more.

Given that terminal ballistics tests of even the 357 SIG demonstrate an insignificant difference in efficacy versus a well-designed 9mm standard pressure hollow point round, I'm not sure what the advantage of shooting +p is with modern HP ammunition. However, the disadvantages appear equally unimportant for all practical purposes. Shoot whichever makes you feel better; with the Gold Dots, either should be adequate.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
BateleurRGB said:
Given that terminal ballistics tests of even the 357 SIG demonstrate an insignificant difference in efficacy versus a well-designed 9mm standard pressure hollow point round,

Texas DPS, Virginia State Police, and the United States Secret Service would all dispute that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
rajuabju said:
Thanks very much for the insight guys. Very glad I checked for some second opinions before potentially wasting $ on ammo which may or may not be what I need.

I'm gonna stick with the Blazer Brass for the range/practice because I've used it a couple times now and it works well for me.

After looking around more, I'm gonna try both the Golden Saber and Speed Gold Dot rounds and see which I like.

Edit-

Now I have a new 'problem' I cant purchase ammo online and have it shipped to me because I live in Los Angeles!? WTF? Are there any online places that are able to ship ammo to Los Angeles?

I too live in the L.A. area and have had good experiences with these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/

http://www.natchezss.com/

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?warehouse=west

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/default.asp

1 - 18 of 18 Posts