MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll be getting my new M&P 40 2.0 4.25" pistol (SKU:11525) this Tuesday pending my background check, which should be no problem.

In anticipation to that event, I've decided to order some ammo, and I was stunned to find some of the most popular places on the web, to be out of stock for the most widely used .40 calibers.
I was looking for some range ammo, EDC, and woods carry.
At first I thought it was a .40 issue, but the 9mm are also in backorder.
Anyway, I finally found a place for some of the ammo I wanted to buy to break my gun in with; Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. everybody else seems to have been out.
I've got a couple of boxes of:

HORNADY 40SW 165 gr Critical Defense 20/Box

WINCHESTER AMMO 40SW 180 gr FMJ Lead Free Train and Defend 50/Box.

I will be in the process of determining which ammo I would feel comfortable for EDC and which ones for Woods/hiking protection.

So, besides the above order I've placed last night, this is what I also have coming my way to try out...
I wanted some target and range shooting ammo, but not much luck, so this is what I had to settle for:

Underwood 40 S&W 140 Grain Xtreme Penetrator

40 S&W 180 Grain Full Metal Jacket

40 S&W 165 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point

40 S&W 155 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point

I also ordered some Doubletap ammo:

40 S&W 200gr. Hardcast Solid™ 20rds

40 S&W 200gr FMJ-Flat Point 20rds.

Notoriously, I'm missing some Buffalo Bore.
This is what I wanted to order last night:

Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo $31.68
As you can see, not cheap, but I was ready to place the order anyway until I made it to the checkout page...
$21.74 Shipping via UPS!
I had to pass. That would've come out to $2.74 a round. No way!

Well for now, I should be set with some good quality ammo and be able to -when everything is said and done- narrow down my EDC and wood carry for sure

Any feedback is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ammo manufacturers will close, ranges will close, gun stores will close. Until this emergency is over; ammo and guns will get harder and harder to get. When its over there will plenty of guns and ammo. Depending of course, on how long this lasts and how many businesses are destroyed.

I suspect the virus will have little impact on the industry, but the economics will have a huge impact on it, as it will on all industries. Who knows what we will be left with.
I learned my lesson the last go around and during this recent excellent buyer’s market I stocked up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks to be that way.
I’m happy I was able to get the gun I wanted and pretty much all the ammo I wanted to buy.
Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
261 Posts
You have quite a variety coming for your new .40, you should find a few of those that shoot good in your pistol. I tend to stick with HST for carry, and Rem-UMC for practice, both in 180 grain weight.
You're lucky to have found that many types lately. .40 and .45 seems to be still available, but limited compared to what you could get before the panic.
Seems there is no 9mm to be had at all.

I have been wanting some Speer 200 grain Gold Dot +P for my .45 Shield.
Everyplace I looked was out of stock even before the panic of late.
I found some at Bud's Guns, slightly over $1 a round, more than I usually pay, but
the first I've seen in a few weeks of looking.

I wonder if their distributor really had them in stock though. Nearly a week and they still haven't said they've shipped them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You have quite a variety coming for your new .40, you should find a few of those that shoot good in your pistol. I tend to stick with HST for carry, and Rem-UMC for practice, both in 180 grain weight.
You're lucky to have found that many types lately. .40 and .45 seems to be still available, but limited compared to what you could get before the panic.
Seems there is no 9mm to be had at all.

I have been wanting some Speer 200 grain Gold Dot +P for my .45 Shield.
Everyplace I looked was out of stock even before the panic of late.
I found some at Bud's Guns, slightly over $1 a round, more than I usually pay, but
the first I've seen in a few weeks of looking.

I wonder if their distributor really had them in stock though. Nearly a week and they still haven't said they've shipped them.
Thank you.
You still can get those ammo I've listed above. They're linked to their website, though, for the first time in weeks I did notice Underwood just ran out of two of their products.
Funny that you mentioned the HST and the Rem-UMC, those two were my primary rounds I was searching for.

I'm happy with what I've got and I can't wait for the fun to begin.
Through a buddy of mine, I found a place about 50 miles north-east of denver I can shoot out in the open, and that's great because I wanted to do some chrono testing on the Underwood and Doubletap ammo. I'd love to get some Buffalo Bore 180gr +P for test comparison also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Be sure to save your brass.
You may be reloading (or exchanging brass for reloading) before this is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
There is no such thing as “enough ammo”.

Well, I used to think that, too. But during our last mandatory hurricane evacuation, I hauled $hit for three solid days away from the coast to my Dad’s house inland. I still had only about half of my ammo moved, and none of my reloading components. I decided then that I probably had “enough.” :blushing:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
1 shot, 1 kill. How many do you need?

All the rest is just practice.....

Move out to the country, ammo goes farther out there..

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The other day I called the LGS and asked if they still had the CCI mIni-mag HPs that I has spied in there a few weeks ago. It could have been years ago as it turned out. The person I was talking to explained that it was gone and that they'd been selling 15k-20k rounds per day. I wanted the ammo so that I wouldn't need to dig anything out of storage. But I did and when I figured out how old it was I was sorta surprised. I had purchased it at least 40 years ago. FWIW, it has been stored in really good conditions and it looked and worked like it was made yesterday.

My point is don't be afraid to buy cheap and stack it deep. But store it where it's dry and if you're comfortable with the temperature (or colder) the ammo will be fine for a very long time. If I don't shoot it all (doubtful) I expect it to easily outlive me by many decades.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The other day I called the LGS and asked if they still had the CCI mIni-mag HPs that I has spied in there a few weeks ago. It could have been years ago as it turned out. The person I was talking to explained that it was gone and that they'd been selling 15k-20k rounds per day. I wanted the ammo so that I wouldn't need to dig anything out of storage. But I did and when I figured out how old it was I was sorta surprised. I had purchased it at least 40 years ago. FWIW, it has been stored in really good conditions and it looked and worked like it was made yesterday.

My point is don't be afraid to buy cheap and stack it deep. But store it where it's dry and if you're comfortable with the temperature (or colder) the ammo will be fine for a very long time. If I don't shoot it all (doubtful) I expect it to easily outlive me by many decades.

Ammo
Doesnt expire or spoil
Keep it dry
Lasts basically forever.
Recently fired some 30-30 rds that had been in and out of dads ol model 94 since the mid 50s.
Other than the soft point being rather beat up all went bang and all hit the target.

I still have several boxes from that era I save simply because of that reason.

My grandfather likely handled them.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Tex, that's true if stored under the conditions I outlined. SAAMI says the same thing and that's where I got it from. Lots of folks think, so I've read on various forums, that ammo has a short shelf life. Maybe they were trying to justify going shooting, but yes, it just isn't true. Stored dry and in living conditions or cooler and it will last a very long time. FWIW, all of my ammo gets stored in GI ammo boxes to keep it dry.

Store it in lousy conditions and yes it can definitely degrade. I was given what was leftover from a case of .30-03 from Frankford Arsenal that had been unloved for many years and had really lousy storage conditions. I disassembled one and the powder was reddish and powdery, not all the powder had degraded but enough to cause me concern. I never fired them. Didn't want the corrosive primers fouling my gun either. I just disassembled all of them. They have some really purty cupronickle jacketed bullets that will never be used. We make much better bullets today, just not as pretty. The pile of powder when burned made a nice, if short lived, flame geyser at least 20' tall.

What would have happened if I had fired them? They would have lacked the MV that was intended and the gun would have required a thorough cleaning. Not much else as a byproduct of being degraded, but as I wrote, I wasn't going to do that to any of my guns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No such thing as too much ammo unless your on fire or trying to swim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you.
You still can get those ammo I've listed above. They're linked to their website, though, for the first time in weeks I did notice Underwood just ran out of two of their products.
Funny that you mentioned the HST and the Rem-UMC, those two were my primary rounds I was searching for.

I'm happy with what I've got and I can't wait for the fun to begin.
Through a buddy of mine, I found a place about 50 miles north-east of denver I can shoot out in the open, and that's great because I wanted to do some chrono testing on the Underwood and Doubletap ammo. I'd love to get some Buffalo Bore 180gr +P for test comparison also.
50 miles NE of Denver?
Would that be the Baker Draw range in the Pawnee Grass lands.
I love that place.
Best part is FREE!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts