MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand there is some debate about this, but some people seem to be having trouble with WWB ammo and a couple others.

I'm looking to purchase a decent amount of ammo for target shooting for my M&P 9mm and want to get ammo that is known to work well with the gun...any suggestions?

P.S. feel free to throw in suggestions for good self-defense ammo as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've shot 100 rounds of Blazer Brass, 50 rounds of Federal Hydrashok, and 400 rounds of Wally World WWB in 40cal. No problems out of any of them. The Federals shoot the best IMO, but at the price can you blame them. The WWB is what I've settled on for my range shooting from here on out, the local range here said they are easier on your extractor than the blazer brass, which is banned from use in their rental guns. The Federal Hydrashoks is what I'll be carrying for self defense.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just went through a couple boxes of just about every type of 9mm ammo I could find (wanted to pick one type and stick with it so I could dial-in my fixed sights for a 25-yd zero). For target and IPSC shooting, I like the Atlanta Arms & Ammo the best. Accurate, reliable, and lower muzzle velocity than most others, so softer shooting; prices are really good too.

As far as the rest, the WWB and Sellier & Bellot were about the only ones I really didn't like - the American Eagle is good in 124gr and 147gr, as is the Remington UMC. (It's worth noting that the Rem UMC had significantly higher muzzle velocities than the rest of the big names, so it had more muzzle flip/recoil... )

·
Registered
231 Posts
Iv put in the ball park of 1000 rounds through my MP9mm using mostly WWB (about 750+) and haven't had any issues what so ever in regards to the ammunition (I had the infamous mag drop issue). When it comes to self defense ammo I use the 124 +p gold dots.

·
Registered
343 Posts
CCI Blazer, both aluminum and brass, work well in my M&P's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
CCI blazer is good stuff. I run it through my .357 mag and my .45. Seems like it's more pricey for the smaller calibers per round than the other stuff and cheaper than the other stuff for the larger calibers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm up to around 1K rounds of 10 year old re loads. No issues yet. I'm about to try some Fiiochi and PMC I have laying around.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
The first 1000rds through my M&P40 was WWB.. I switched to Rem UMC because my 410S hated WWB.. But I have fired almost every brand of ammo throught it and it just keeps going.. The only ammo I haven't fired so far is reloads and Wolf....

Ben

·
Registered
297 Posts
I used many different brands in the beginning and settled on using WWB for now on because they're cheaper around here. Everything worked fine for me. Now have about 1500 rds through it mostly the WWB, not problems so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Atlanta Arms & Ammo ???'s

Hello all, I have a question about Atlanta Arms & Ammo, do you buy direct from them? Which 9mm ammo are any of you getting from them, ie...match new brass, reloads old brass ect... What is the cost on thier 9mm ammo? Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: Atlanta Arms & Ammo ???'s

Pac757 said:
Hello all, I have a question about Atlanta Arms & Ammo, do you buy direct from them? Which 9mm ammo are any of you getting from them, ie...match new brass, reloads old brass ect... What is the cost on thier 9mm ammo? Thanks
Depending on where you live, you may have an AA&A dealer in your area. If not, they will likely sell to you direct. (Drop them an e-mail from the link on their web site... ) The pricing depends on whether you're getting from them direct, or through a dealer. But either way, their prices are very good.

Regarding the type, I like the 147gr JHPs for target/USPSA shooting. In my chrony testing, I found that the new-brass & reloaded versions were almost identical - although the muzzle velocities of the new-brass rounds seemed a bit more consistent. I stick with the reloaded, as it's about $5 cheaper per box of 50...

The 125gr HAP match AMU is EXTREMELY accurate if you're shooting for bulls eyes, but it comes at a price... it's about another $5 more than the new brass 147gr JHPs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts