MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Info: Speer & Remington are producing Ammunition for Compact Pistols with barrels under 4" in length, Faster burning powder generating better pressures, Velocity and desired Terminal Impact performance. Ammo designed for "Law Enforcement" is for standard full size Duty Handguns have longer barrels 4.5" to 5.5", and a slower burning powder for the longer barrel & longer Burn Time. The Compact Ammo "Bullet" has a Thinner skin and Larger Hollow Point for better Terminal Ballistics at slower velocities. Standard Hollow Points have a "Cone" shaped cavity, Compact ammo has "Cylinder" shaped cavity for maximum expansion at slower velocities. Hollow Point.jpg GD Short Barrel.jpg LEO.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
It depends just how compact your compact is. In 9mm, for barrel lengths over 3.5", I'd stick with normal load. For guns with shorter barrels, I'm at least consider the short barrel loads. However, from what I've seen, the HST does well in shorter barrels without needing a specialized loading.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Considering that it is getting impossible to find any ammo anywhere in the most used calibers, do you have any idea how and where this ammo can be purchased? And of course, price might be somewhat of a factor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends just how compact your compact is. In 9mm, for barrel lengths over 3.5", I'd stick with normal load. For guns with shorter barrels, I'm at least consider the short barrel loads. However, from what I've seen, the HST does well in shorter barrels without needing a specialized loading.
Yes it definitely Does and so does the Speer Gold Dot & Winchester T-Series, but others like Remington Golden Saber didn't do well from the 4" Barrel test from Luckygunner's site. Put this out there for those who may be "New" shooters and are carrying Sub-Compact EDC and believe all ammo is just ammo. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Short barrel guns are designed for short up close targets. Stick with the Federal HST. I don't fall for the marketing jazz that they design a bullet for short barrel guns. You want that bullet to penetrate along with expanding. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
426 Posts
Short barrel guns are designed for short up close targets. Stick with the Federal HST. I don't fall for the marketing jazz that they design a bullet for short barrel guns. You want that bullet to penetrate along with expanding. Just my 2 cents
Make your own ballistic gel and see for yourself. It isn't marketing jazz.
In a j-frame the gold dot short barrel ammo gets better results than HST.

This is one if a few dozen articles online showing how to make your own gel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts