MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I shot my Canik Rival at today’s IDPA practice.
We had five stages, which I shot all “zero down” without using the sights (except for two head shots on the last stage).

The last stage had two BGs partially hidden by a non-threat, and the shooting position was laying flat on your weak side (sideways to “down range”). Range was 10 yards.

So: I decided to visit my LGS to look for a slightly more carryable Canik model.
I found the size that I wanted, perfect trigger pull and reset; but not quite the finish I was looking for, After a bit of cogitation, I decided that “well, no one’s going to see it unless I have to draw it, and then, probably the only person seeing it’ll be the bad guy” (and he won’t be seeing it long).

Now, without further adieu, here’s a definite first for y’all today; the Canik METE SFT Signature Series Miami Nights:

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Table

Maybe I’ll see if Don Johnson will autograph it for me.
I’ll bet I catch all kinds of crap over it at next weeks IDPA practice! 🤣

It’s actually quite striking seen “in person;” but Lawd you outta’ see the holster! 😜

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May I suggest matching mag holders and shooting glasses?! 😉 I actually find the colors kind of fun for your intended use of it.
It came with a “matching holster,” though I’ll probably carry it mostly in a Brommeland Gunleather Max Con-V I have that it fits nicely in. The plus-2 mag extension on the reload mag is color matching, and my double stack mag carriers are black; so that matches, too.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It came with a “matching holster,” though I’ll probably carry it mostly in a Brommeland Gunleather Max Con-V I have that it fits nicely in. The plus-2 mag extension on the reload mag is color matching, and my double stack mag carriers are black; so that matches, too.
I wanted to add for the benefit of M&P owners; my leather holsters made for M&P pistols (NOT SHIELDS) are so close to a perfect fit for “close to” similar size Caniks that they’ll either work immediately, or soon will after a little waxed paper break-in.

I’ve also found that Sig P365 models will fit very nicely in leather IWB holsters (Brommeland again for me) made for a three inch barrel/slide length 1911.

Also; all the above recommendations aren’t just based on “will the pistol physically fit” criteria; but, along with fit, it must present the grip so that a full firing grip is afforded prior to the start of the draw, while ensuring that the grip isn’t angled so far out that it compromises concealability.

So; if it won’t hold the intended handgun properly and well-concealed; I won’t recommend it.

I haven’t tried it with any of my kydex holsters yet; but if I find any good matches; I’ll add them to this thread.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I can see why you had some reservations about the finish! :LOL:. It certainly isn't subtle.
Yes; I shot my rival Darkside model at today’s IDPA match (came in third overall) and will shoot the new one at IDPA practice next Thursday. I expect to get a bit of ribbing there! 🤣

Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The “Miami special” is the same length and height as a full size 1911, but wider, and @3/4 pound lighter.

I carried it IWB this AM to meet up with six friends from another forum for breakfast. I’ve also trained on multiple occasions with most of them (Threat Focused Pistol), and I asked on that forum later if anyone could tell that I was carrying it under my Tee shirt. Some had specifically looked to see if they could spot my carry gun “because (they) know that I always carry.”

No one could see anything. 👍

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I love my TP9SF and TP9DA. These are very underated pistols. These two particulair models can still be found relatively cheap. The SF was $274 and the DA was $329 at a black Friday sale. I live near a very well known training facility and the owner made a few videos of how he kept a few TP9SA's there for students who have to borrow pistols when theirs fail or break. Most of the TP9SA's have around 15,000 rds through them. No failures.
I have Wilson Combat, Colt, Baer Custom, and M&P pistols staying home as I use my Caniks for training, match, and EDC duties. I was a serious “gun snob” when I picked up my first Canik; so that’s saying a LOT!

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Was a serious "Gun Snob"
You have me looking at them BUT WHY??? HaHaHa!
Miami Days & Nights 👀 o_O🤟😁 Colt & Hk here, never went down the road to the Baer & Wilson, I had to Eat!
View attachment 20409 View attachment 20410
I went there looking for a Canik for carry (because of the trigger, reset, pointability, reliability, and accuracy), and I wanted one that uses the same 18 round mags that my other one does. (The extra mag that comes with the Signature Series has a +2 base; making it a 20 round mag. The pic you posted shows both guns with the +2 mags on-board.)

They didn’t have any like I wanted in the case with the black and gray Caniks, but as I was leaving; I spotted those two (night and day) on the bottom shelf of a case that’s usually full of (only) 1911s. I chose the “night” one, as I figured that the white on the “day” one would be more like gray in short order.

I pondered on the colorful finish for a bit, deciding that it’d be OK; since I’d be carrying it concealed. It’s just as simple as that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I ran the gun today at IDPA practice, and it ran flawlessly. I got teased a bit (which I expected); but the general consensus was that, while different; it was OK. (A few of the guys did ask me to wear a white coat the next time I shoot it; a “Miami Vice” thing.) I guess it may be harder to make fun of a gun when the guy using it’s outshooting you with it; big time!

Since it’s a carry gun, I cleaned it when I got home, and the finish seems to be impervious to the CLP that I always use; Eezox.

Eezox works great for me, and has for the last 30 something years, but; you need to wear gloves when using it. I use disposable ones, but with no rust or any type of corrosion on any of my guns for all of those years; it’s well worth it to me. 👍

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My son & wife saw the photo & said Hey I like that...
I looked them up & the price is MUCH HIGHER than I had figured, I could buy an Hk for that price...
Best I could find is currently $705 for the Miami Days on Gunbroker https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966246678
View attachment 20417
This pistol is very VP9ish & comes with a holster & accessories. 👍

Tomorrow is my 57th Birthday & a 5th M&P Shield OR an Hk USP Compact MIGHT BE in my Future!!! 😁
I have both on Lay-A-Way locally...

I will have a Birthday Party for me & my Late Twin Brother Jerry tomorrow...
Will get a cake @ 8:00am tomorrow + Ice Cream, I might even eat a slice...
Gary/Hk
I believe that I paid $699.99 for the Miami Days, and $679.99 for my SFx Rival Darkside.
I also have seven of the 18 rounders, plus one 20 round mag.

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Table
Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 9 of 9 Posts