MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yeah, it really doesn't look like much but it really does make a big difference in its functionality as a slide release.

The one possible negative about the new slide release is: I have noticed from the ones I have had through here, that they do not drop the slide when a magazine is firmly seated. Not that it cannot be modified to do so. :wink:

I can also see how some might view this as a good thing as well. I personally would rather hit the slide release, and know that I have the muzzle on target.

Dan

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got a question regarding the slide dropping when you insert a mag. Mine, without an extended mag release, drops the slide about 40% of the time. Guys at the range thought I was nuts when I told them it would do it. I thought that it was kind of handy, in regards to shooting action pistol, not having to rack the slide, or hit the release. Is it generally a bad idea to allow it to happen? If not, is there a way to make it work more consistently?

·
Registered
150 Posts
My M&P with the new slide release drops the slide 100% of the time when I insert a new magazine...at least it did when I tested it a couple dozen times with dummy rounds...I personally like that feature..

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
The one possible negative about the new slide release is: I have noticed from the ones I have had through here, that they do not drop the slide when a magazine is firmly seated. Not that it cannot be modified to do so. :wink:

Dan

Odd, I got mine back from S&W with the extended release. Seating a mag firmly still releases the slide just fine.

It's very easy loaded to 15, harder, but reasonable at 10 rounds, a pain in the but under 5, and nearlyimpossible with one round.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My statement is based purely on testing a lot of different M&Ps. The ones with the extended slide releases all came that way originally (at least as far as I know) and they would not release with the firm seating. I honestly don't remember what happened with the ones I replaced.

I test fire all guns before they leave my shop and first with a mag with only 3 rounds then a full mag.

I am curious now if they may have changed the notch in the slide. I will keep an eye on this and see what I can come up with.

I could certainly just be wrong on this as well. :oops:

Dan

·
Registered
13 Posts
both my 40 and 9 both will release the slides but some times the 9 will not load a round then you get that click that makes that knot show up in your stomach, so i started always using the slide release on both, not that much difference and i want the muzzle down range and not in the air. thanks and good shooting celt :?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far, mine does not drop the slide stop when the magazine is firmly inserted. That's not a problem for me as I am used to taking the extra step in releasing the slide with my thumb. Even if it did, I might, out of habit, press the stop anyway when reloading. I figure it is a good idea to be sure the slide is forward.

-Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Slide Stop on M&P

I'm a little confused here.

Are some of you saying that when inserting a full mag that even the new (improved) slide stop/release will not work (e.g. won't let the slide go forward into battery when using the thumb to press the slide stop (release) down? Or ??

I just sent mine back to S&W to have the new slide stop (release) switched out. The only think I didn't care for about the M&P was the slide stop, because I prefer to use it as a slide release also, although I've been using my weak hand to release the slide. Shipped it off a week ago last Friday and hope it gets back soon, I am missing my M&P !!!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Re: Slide Stop on M&P

buckeye49 said:

Are some of you saying that when inserting a full mag that even the new (improved) slide stop/release will not work (e.g. won't let the slide go forward into battery when using the thumb to press the slide stop (release) down? Or ??

No, now it seems to work as a I believe a slide release should.

Insert a full magazine and depress the slide release, the slide drops taking the top round with into battery and ready to fire.

Dan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Slide Stop on M&P

buckeye49 said:

As Dan said, you are okay. The change should help you. The anomaly that some operators notice is that their slides may come forward automatically into battery simply from the hard slap of the magazine into the mag well. There was no need to touch the slide stop with their thumb to close the slide.

The reason I use the word "anomaly" is because this is probably not the intent of the S&W design. However, some really like this "feature".

I experienced this in my original Ruger P95DC. This has never occurred on my XD or M&P40.

-Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
I see.

Well, S&W really came through for me. What fast & great service!

On July 28th (Friday) I shipped my S&W M&P 40 back to S&W to have the new slide stop installed. A few days later I got a letter confirming they had received my pistol and I could expect to receive it back in 2-3 weeks. Well, today (8-9-06, Wednesday) I have it back in my hands, and BOY oh BOY do I love the new slide stop (release). I had already locked it away in my gun safe, waiting until I get a chance to shoot again (hopefully this Sunday). However, I just paused here long enough to go get the pistol out again. I tried numerous times to jam, slap and ram the magazine into the gun to see if I could get the slide stop to let go and let the slide go forward, WITHOUT using the lever, and it would not do so, unless I press down on the slide stop.

I do notice that even though the new slide stop (release) is much, much easier to get a thumb on, it still takes some effort (and maybe both thumbs) to push it down enough to let the slide go forward. Maybe it will loosen up in time.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I'm sure it will. I non new one is tough, but I can one thumb it now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
buckeye49 said:
However, I just paused here long enough to go get the pistol out again. I tried numerous times to jam, slap and ram the magazine into the gun to see if I could get the slide stop to let go and let the slide go forward, WITHOUT using the lever, and it would not do so, unless I press down on the slide stop.
Mine is the same way. If I manually pull the slide back it won’t drop the slide no matter how hard you place the mag. But it will after “Last round fired”

I haven’t called S&W about it yet; but mine seems to function differently between last round fired and manually locking it back.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ToolMaker said:
[quote name='buckeye49']However, I just paused here long enough to go get the pistol out again. I tried numerous times to jam, slap and ram the magazine into the gun to see if I could get the slide stop to let go and let the slide go forward, WITHOUT using the lever, and it would not do so, unless I press down on the slide stop.
Mine is the same way. If I manually pull the slide back it won’t drop the slide no matter how hard you place the mag. But it will after “Last round fired”

I haven’t called S&W about it yet; but mine seems to function differently between last round fired and manually locking it back.[/quote]

Actually, the last time I shot mine, seems to me the slide stop did release when slamming home a fresh mag.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ToolMaker said:

I haven’t called S&W about it yet; but mine seems to function differently between last round fired and manually locking it back.

Mine is this way as well., I prefer it. Saves me a step when trying to do a quick mag change.

I also prefer to rack the slide back rather than using the release to load the first round. It seems to be more user friendly, and allows me to keep a firmer grip with my thumb.

I will keep my low profile release, less to snag when holstering and unholstering. This was a selling point to me when I bought my 40, that it has a very smooth finish, with no snags, and no sharp edges.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
iskiuskiweski said:
[quote name='ToolMaker']Mine is the same way. If I manually pull the slide back it won’t drop the slide no matter how hard you place the mag. But it will after “Last round fired”

Mine is this way as well., I prefer it. Saves me a step when trying to do a quick mag change.

I also prefer to rack the slide back rather than using the release to load the first round. It seems to be more user friendly, and allows me to keep a firmer grip with my thumb.

I will keep my low profile release, less to snag when holstering and unholstering. This was a selling point to me when I bought my 40, that it has a very smooth finish, with no snags, and no sharp edges.[/quote]

I also felt that way, thats why I wanted mine back so that I could switch if I wanted to. Now that I have it, I woln't switch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts