MP-Pistol Forum banner

Another mag catch issue - 40 Compact SN/MPN024x

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  DHart 
#1 ·
Well, for the first 400 rounds or so the gun has been flawless and I LOVE it! But just today with every shot fired and with two different mags (one with pinky extension, the other without), the mag unlocks from the frame and is dropping out of position slightly - enough to prevent chambering the next round. I fired more rounds being especially careful to keep my hands away from the mag release button, but that didn't help any. I removed the mag catch and on examination it looks ok to me by appearance.

SO... I gave S&W a call and without skipping a beat they said they're sending a UPS call tag to pick up the gun on their dime, get it inspected and correct the issue. The tech told me that they do have a new/revised mag catch, but would prefer to check the problem themselves to make sure the problem is corrected rather than just mail a part to me. Their approach will cost them a lot more money to correct the issue than to just mail a new mag catch to me, but may help them understand the problem better. As usual, S&W takes VERY good care of their customers. Will report back when I get the gun back. This is a minor set-back in my opinion and not entirely unexpected given the newneww of the gun design. I have no regrets on purchasing this gun. I do have every confidence that S&W will eliminate the issue. In the meantime I get to play with some of my other great guns... my Glock 29 and a couple of my smaller 1911's will stand in for carry duty while the M&P is at S&W.

See less See more
#2 ·
Customer service

I don't doubt that S&W's customer service is good but I am left feeling very concerned about carrying the new M&P.

I am concerned about two problems, which are mag drops and striker breaks. It is all well and good if this failure occurs at the range but what happens if it fails on the street, good customer service won't matter.

I love the new M&P but do I have to wait for it to fail before S&W will inspect it?

I would rather pay to have both parts replaced then to wait for failure.

My 40C is SN MPM 9XXX

My full size is SN MPB7XXX

#4 ·
DHart said:
My striker has been fine. Is there a new version of the striker I should consider having put in my gun while it is at S&W?

I am somewhat surprised no one else has jumped in here. I am not qualified to answer your question.

I have decided to send my two guns off and get the items replaced, night sights, bead blasted and melted. I really like my two MP's just concerned about some of the comments I have read.

#7 ·
A slight update... I just looked again at my mag catch release and noted that there isn't any apparent wear issue AND it has a small "2" on it... indicating that this MP-"N" version shipped new with version "2" mag catch. So simply putting another "2" mag catch in my gun may not solve my problem. I got the call tag yesterday, so the gun will be back at S&W on Tuesday.

EDIT 4/16/07 - gun shipped via UPS overnight to S&W today. Will post on progress as I can.

#8 ·
I sent the gun to S&W on Monday, they got it Tuesday, and yesterday (Friday) I got a form letter from them letting me know that they are working on it and that repairs typically take 2-3 weeks. That's all I know so far. Since I already had the revised version 2 mag catch, I sure hope whatever they do is a permanent fix. Since the gun ran just fine for a few hundred rounds and then failed, my confidence in the gun is shaken, unfortunately. Fingers crossed though.

#10 ·
After all my good luck and not having any issues, my 40c decided to begin having the same symptoms as above. I only had 50 rounds today, so when I really began to notice what the issue was I ran out of ammo. I am headed back tomorrow to verify if it is me, or the weapon. I'll keep you all updated.

(MPN31xx)

#11 ·
Well, I took my 40c back to the range today and was conducting speed drills at 10m, out of 100 rds I noticed once that mag dropped on the last round and to be honest I didn't pay attention if I did it by shear memory to drop the mag after 10 rds, or the weapon did it on its own. So, needless to say I need to conduct another test to validate the problem, if there is one.

#12 ·
Got the M&P back from S&W today. Note says they replaced the mag catch, tested, and ok. Funny thing, the mag catch that came in it originally had a small "2" on it (underside) ... does that indicate a revised (2nd gen) part? But the mag catch they put in it as a replacement has a small "1" on it! Hmmmm. Have they reverted back to an earlier mag catch design? Does anyone know for sure what these numbers indicate???

Hope to begin test shooting tonight...

#14 ·
41 rounds of Speer 180 gr. Gold Dot flew through the gun flawlessly tonight... trigger felt better than I remember it being, accuracy was awesome, recoil felt mild for .40. My enthusiasm for this gun is restored! See new thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.