MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started shooting last Aug. when a friend of my convinced me to come watch an IDPA match in Wilkesboro (The true home of NASCAR... at least that's what the local claim.) After watching him for about 10 minutes I was hooked.

A friend of mine at work who has a Curio and Relic Firearms license had purchased a SA 1911 Mil-spec for himself and I got him to sell it to me. (My first degree in college was a BA in Military History and I always wanted one.)

Well my friend who got me hooked on IDPA won an M&P40 last year at the Carolina Cup match in Oxford and he kept bragging on it. But I wasn't convinced (besides they were still fairly expensive and hard to find in this area.)

So next I bought a Styer M9, and have been shooting with it. Shoots like a dream once you get use to its trapezoid sites.

Well lo and behold another friend who also shoots IDPA and is a parole officer purchased and M&P 40 for himself, then the M&P9 and then M&P9 compact... (Must be nice to be single.
) He allowed me to shoot each of the other styles. Then I final got a chance to shoot the M&P45 at the Carolina Cup this year. S&W had a booth set up where you could shoot several of their weapons with their ammo for free.

Because of the S&W booth my friend that won the M&P (BTW he won his division with it this year at the Carolina Cup) gave it to his wife to shoot (and she won't give it back to him.) So he had to go out and replace it with a M&P 45...

Well needless to say after shooting my friends weapons and the 45 at the Cup I was hooked and lucked into a deal to get a M&P 40 with night sites and my wife said HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!. (I have the coolest wife 8) )

Well I just got to shot it today at lunch for the first time. And I must say I LIKE IT, a good 80% of my shots were down zero on my IDPA practice target. Can't wait to shoot it this weekend in Boone at the IDPA match at the Watuga Gun Club. So if anyone is in the area come on by and say hi.

Dave Rizzico

P.S.

I am a very novice shooter in my opinion and getting better with a LOT of practice. (Thank God I have an indoor range not less than 5 minutes from my work place.) I used to say I was such a bad shot with a pistol that a: the safest place to be when I had a gun in my hand was in front of the pistol and b: If you put me on the second floor of a wooden barn shoot all the shutters and doors and told me to hit something made of wood that I would put the bullet through the only knot hold in the barn. :oops:

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome Aboard...

Happy Birthday and enjoy the new M&P40. Also, congrats on having such a cool wife. Sounds like she is a real keeper!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome from a fellow new owner. It's good to hear that the gun is good enough for competition (and winning them). It's not something that gets "hyped", but the value you get with the M&P can't be beat. For not much more money than low-end, "entry-level", someone new to shooting can get a gun that can play in the big leagues with guns costing twice as much, even more.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Welcome to the site...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chessie724 said:
It's good to hear that the gun is good enough for competition (and winning them). It's not something that gets "hyped", but the value you get with the M&P can't be beat.

Well at the Carolina Cup this year somewhere in the neighbor hood of 12 or 13 of the trophies given out were to shooters who were using S&W weapons.

Take care and happy shooting

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts