MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site and more or less to pistols in general. Just took ownership of a new M&P .40 (serial MPT5xxx) and put 250 rounds through it tonight. Had a little more 'pop' than the mostly 9mm's I was recently instructed on. I have no more than 1000 to 1200 rounds under my belt total (all recent), so I apologize in advance for whatever newbie questions I might ask. I'm a righty, BTW, but I'm left eye dominant in case there's any free sympathy to be had. Until recently I've never been "into" guns, but two high school buddies (IPSC wannabe's) took me to a practical range with poppers, barriers, etc. and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. This might not be quite the "right" gun for that sort of activity (merely an aspiration), but I figured it would double as a home defense weapon in a worst case situation.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Welcome to the site...
You are only allowed 3 newbie questions j/k there is never a stupid question feel free to use and abuse the knowledge on the site enjoy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
101Combat Vet said:
Welcome to the site...
You are only allowed 3 newbie questions j/k there is never a stupid question feel free to use and abuse the knowledge on the site enjoy

I used to have a teacher who liked to say, "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people."

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome !

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
NovaTiger said:
I used to have a teacher who liked to say, "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people."

Your teacher moved to Colorado and has since undergone some minor cosmetic surgery:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='NovaTiger']

Your teacher moved to Colorado and has since undergone some minor cosmetic surgery:

[/quote]

Woah I no longer wish to be affiliated with this thread

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Welcome to the site...

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Welcome aboard. Where'd you buy your M&P at? I got mine through Gilbert Small Arms just off I-95, north of Belvoir.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Welcome!!! I think the M&P40 is perfectly practical for most comp-level shooting. In fact, it has an easier time meeting minimum power levels than a 9mm. The M&P 40 has less noticible recoil than the Glock, and even the SA XD 40's. The only problem I could most people having, even after you adjust from the 9 to the 40, is the cost. I started reloading to save some cash, and while I do save about half on ammo, it's the equipment and other guns that have been emptying my wallet. Rest assured, you've made a good choice in firearm.

BTW, I shoot IDPA every now and then with mine. The guys at the matches laughed at me the first time I shot with it, as that was about 6-8 months after the production started, but they were all Glock and 1911 guys. I've seen a lot more M&P's on the line recently, and no one is laughing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Onuma said:
Welcome aboard. Where'd you buy your M&P at? I got mine through Gilbert Small Arms just off I-95, north of Belvoir.
I ordered it from Davidson's Gallery of Guns online and had it delivered to a local FFL. Price, ease of transaction, etc. all good. Gilbert's is close to me and they have a good selection. That's where I'll practice mostly since it's close to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts