MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

I just joined the forum today. I have been visiting for several weeks now doing some research on the M&P pistols and like what I saw/read. So much so, that I bought a new M&P 9mm. I shoot a little bit of everything. I am also a member on AR-15, 1911forum,Glocktalk and really like Sigforum. I am interested in getting into IDPA but no clubs locally ofer the sport. I will be visiting here frequently as this is quickly becoming one of my favorite forums.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
More people from pittsburgh. You should come up here and shoot the modified USPSA shoot at castlewood this saturday.

The also shoot modified IDPA here.

Modified I mean they try to heed all the rules but if a new guy doesnt have all the right gear they let it go, and you don't have to be a member to shoot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where abouts is Castlewood. I know of Newcastle, but not Castlewood. And I must say, I have never shot in any competition, so this would be totally new to me. This weekend would have to be out anyway as this ism too short a notice but future events are possible if not too far. And by the way, thanks for the offer and invite. I need some shooting partners. There aren't many pistol shooters around my parts (actually Cranberry)

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
heck, cranberry aint far.

Castlewood is on 422 right off 79 heading to new castle. you know where Dukes is?, its just down the road.

I think this shoot is the last USPSA shoot they have for the year, but later in the month is the IDPA.

We also shoot in my parents back yard. We setup a steel shoot there. you can see the vids in the gallery, they live in pulaski.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi mikegun and welcome from another Pittsburgh Newbie.

Castlewood is a great place to shoot and not that far from you and has USPSA and IDPA as mentioned.

Come on down the Turnpike a couple of exits (Monroeville) and Pitcairn/Monroeville Sportsmens has a very nice USPSA match first Sunday of the month. And go a little further down to New Stanton and East Huntingdon has 4th Sunday I believe.

I believe Youngstown, OH still has IDPA. And there are a couple of clubs just over the border in WV (Hancock County) and OH (S.T.A.R.T.) that have nice IDPA matches.

With a little bit of driving you can shoot just about every weekend in this area April - October. I think we're lucky. Too bad the season is winding up.

If you want any info on what I mentioned contact me.

RP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info

Dragonlibra, thanks for the info on the matches, that sure helps. I haven't shot any kind if match yet and I am very interested in starting. I guess it's a little late to get started this late in the year, but at least I have a starting point for next year. I'll just have tyo practice , practice and practice so I don't look too bad when I do start.

Thanks again for the info, and maybe I'll run into you sometime at one of these shoots.

·
Registered
130 Posts
mikegun, you're welcome. remind me in the spring and I'll post the shoots, club links and dates they usually shoot.

You could try one or more of the shoots this month and see if you like and what equipment you may need to get next year. All you need right now is a holster and a mag pouch and a couple of extra mags. You can get by with 2 mags but 3 is better in IDPA and you probably want at least 3 with 4 or more better for USPSA.

USPSA shoots left that I mentioned are Castlewood this Saturday 10/7 and East Huntingdon 10/22. Check the USPSA link I'm providing at end for clubs I may not have mentioned. I just started USPSA this year so I usually only attend them when they don't conflict with a date of my first love which is IDPA.

IDPA shoots left, S.T.A.R.T. in Mingo Junction, OH Sunday 10/8, Hancock County in Weirton, WV on Sunday 10/15 and Castlewood on Saturday 10/21 and Youngstown may have Sunday 10/22. Always check with the clubs to make sure they are having before you travel to them.

For IDPA you can find club info at http://www.idpa.com/clubs.asp and for USPSA/IPSC at http://www.uspsa.org/ PA is in Area 8 and Ohio and WV in Area 5.

You can PM me for driving directions/email contacts for any of the clubs I mentioned. Don't be shy, all the clubs welcome new shooters, just let the RO or SO know at each stage so they help you out with the rules and staying safe, and all are very friendly.

BTW, in the spring some clubs will hold an orientation, keep an eye out for those.

Hope to meet you at a shoot.

RP

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts