MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased the Shield 9MM 2.0. When there is no magazine inserted and I pull the slide back and engage the slide lock, then pull the slide back to release the lock so the slide can move forward, about half the time it sticks, the slide lock doesn't drop down on it's own , and I have to manually pull the slide lock down with my thumb. I've taken the pistol to two different gunsmiths in my area and both say they have not seen this type of behavior. As I said about half the time, it will release back on it's own and half the time it will not.

I called S&W and they advised me to send the gun back into them. Has anyone else noticed this behavior with the M&P Shield 9mm 2.0?

·
Registered
339 Posts
No, but 2 smiths who can’t figure it out is pretty sad, regardless of whether they’ve seen it or not.

Take the slide off and exercise the slide lock. Is it hanging on the frame?

I’m assuming you’ve properly lubed (but not overlubed) friction points (slide rails, slide lock pivot pin, etc).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pathetic, I buy a brand new gun and have to disassemble it to get it to work properly. My Glock worked from day one right out of the box, several thousand rounds never a hiccup. This gun literally needs to be disassembled and worked on, right off the floor. I also went back to Academy where I bought it from and they had three or four more in stock, and everyone of them did the same thing. This is a Smith and Wesson issue, not a customer needs to disassemble a brand new firearm and repair it them selves issue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
People think clerks at auto parts stores are mechanics too. Many people drive cars.. very few can tell you the first thing about what's under the hood or what to do about a malfunction. Same goes for firearms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The people that looked at it are reputable gun dealers, that have been in business for 30+ years in the Oklahoma area. They have dedicated gunsmith departments that are certified by several manufacturers to work on their firearms. I think they know what they’re talking about. They didn’t say it was an issue that they couldn’t get corrected they just said they hadn’t seen this kind of behavior in a firearm before. I don’t think I should have to disassemble a brand new firearm and have someone sand off a burr on the slide lock in order to get it to work properly. I kind of think that’s something that maybe should’ve been checked out at the factory before it was shipped out, Regardless, I just asked if anybody had seen this type of behavior out of these firearms, I wasn’t really wanting to turn this into a debate over the legitimacy of local gunsmiths in my area.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wasn't just referring to the alleged gunsmiths.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I assume by your comment you were referring to me. However, I never claimed to be any type of firearm expert. I do know this, if I spent $400 for a firearm, from a manufacture such a Smith and Wesson, I expect the damn thing to work when I take it out of the box. So unless you have some sort of knowledge about this issue, why don’t you go to another thread and troll somebody else with your smart ass comments. This is the issue on these threads, somebody post a legitimate question, and all the little keyboard trolls such as yourself, come out and turn it into a smart ass contest. Don’t bother replying you’re on ignore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont know why you keep engaging. I have a shield 45acp never had this problem also have friends with the 9mm no problems there either.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I do know this, if I spent $400 for a firearm, from a manufacture such a Smith and Wesson, I expect the damn thing to work when I take it out of the box.
I agree, it should work out of the box. If It doesn’t I send it back. In 40 years and over 100 new S&W’s I have had to do that twice. I’m always surprised at how many people will blame ammo or magazines for guns that have problems, and try all kinds of silliness.

I have never seen this complaint. As a matter of fact I have never tried to release an M&P slide by slingshotting it; I have always used the slide release. So I just tried my Shield several times; it worked okay. If you use the slide release will it slam into battery okay?

I think the turn around time on my Shield when it had FTE problems was about 12 days. But with this virus stuff going on I bet it would be a long wait. And that sucks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well I assume by your comment you were referring to me. However, I never claimed to be any type of firearm expert. I do know this, if I spent $400 for a firearm, from a manufacture such a Smith and Wesson, I expect the damn thing to work when I take it out of the box. So unless you have some sort of knowledge about this issue, why don’t you go to another thread and troll somebody else with your smart ass comments. This is the issue on these threads, somebody post a legitimate question, and all the little keyboard trolls such as yourself, come out and turn it into a smart ass contest. Don’t bother replying you’re on ignore.
1 post and 4 replies and now telling other members how to reply.

We get it. You are upset about your handgun and rightfully so. However, you gave no real context as to the experience of the smiths you took it to. We all have seen gunsmiths in name only....

No need to take out your frustration out on others here. You will get some quality answers by folks here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 post and 4 replies and now telling other members how to reply.

We get it. You are upset about your handgun and rightfully so. However, you gave no real context as to the experience of the smiths you took it to. We all have seen gunsmiths in name only....

No need to take out your frustration out on others here. You will get some quality answers by folks here.
Let me know when I can expect some of those quality answers. So far it’s been nothing but a critique of the gunsmiths I mentioned. I’m not taking out my frustrations, I’m just not wanting to debate EVERY person that replies, regarding how qualified gunsmiths they have no knowledge of and no absolutely nothing about, are. They can reply any way they want, but perhaps they should start a thread titled “ I don’t know **** about your local gunsmiths, but I do know they aren’t any good”.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Let me know when I can expect some of those quality answers. So far it’s been nothing but a critique of the gunsmiths I mentioned. I’m not taking out my frustrations, I’m just not wanting to debate EVERY person that replies, regarding how qualified gunsmiths they have no knowledge of and no absolutely nothing about, are. They can reply any way they want, but perhaps they should start a thread titled “ I don’t know **** about your local gunsmiths, but I do know they aren’t any good”.
Your first post said that S&W told you to send it in, right?
Here is the quality answer you have been waiting for, are you ready?

Send it to S&W for repair or replacement.

You're welcome.

All the big name gun companies produce occasional lemons. You said all the guns at academy were bad, maybe they were all made from a batch with bad slide locks? With the big run in guns currently, most likely its s bad part so the whole lot might be compromised.

Stuff happens, sorry you are one of the few that got a bad one but it does happen every time humans are involved.
Glock forum has plenty of threads over the years about some guns that are bought with problems. Again it happens, sorry you have to deal with it. S&W should pay shipping both ways and most likely will turn it around fairly quick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Question, have you actually shot the pistol? Many times if you shoot a few hundred rounds through it, it will loosen up and work well. Shields are pretty stiff when they are new. Shoot them a while and they get much smoother. I would shoot it before I would send it back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my Shield 2.0 for about a year, 1000 or so rounds. I've not experienced this issue. I feel fortunate after reading this. Hope it'll turn out for you. I've never dealth with S&W directly

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have both Shield 2.0 9mm and 45 ACP, no issues. My advice is if your going to get upset at every comment or question you should go ahead and delete your profile. If you get this defensive maybe you should look at getting rid of your guns and find an activity to find inner peace.

I love these guns and this forum, gotten some great advice!

Good luck CC, just breath.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased the Shield 9MM 2.0. When there is no magazine inserted and I pull the slide back and engage the slide lock, then pull the slide back to release the lock so the slide can move forward, about half the time it sticks, the slide lock doesn't drop down on it's own , and I have to manually pull the slide lock down with my thumb. I've taken the pistol to two different gunsmiths in my area and both say they have not seen this type of behavior. As I said about half the time, it will release back on it's own and half the time it will not.

I called S&W and they advised me to send the gun back into them. Has anyone else noticed this behavior with the M&P Shield 9mm 2.0?
How many rounds through it so far? Why not shoot a 100 or so and see if the issue continues? Just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The people that looked at it are reputable gun dealers, that have been in business for 30+ years in the Oklahoma area. They have dedicated gunsmith departments that are certified by several manufacturers to work on their firearms. I think they know what they’re talking about. They didn’t say it was an issue that they couldn’t get corrected they just said they hadn’t seen this kind of behavior in a firearm before. I don’t think I should have to disassemble a brand new firearm and have someone sand off a burr on the slide lock in order to get it to work properly. I kind of think that’s something that maybe should’ve been checked out at the factory before it was shipped out, Regardless, I just asked if anybody had seen this type of behavior out of these firearms, I wasn’t really wanting to turn this into a debate over the legitimacy of local gunsmiths in my area.
If I had a brand new pistol with the problem you’re describing, it would go right back to the manufacturer for them to diagnose and fix. And I would expect a written explanation from them telling me what they did to fix the issue. And furthermore, I would expect them to pay for the UPS Red, Next Day Air charges both ways. End of discussion.
Respectfully,
Cappy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts