MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a little time last night working on my back right white dot that fell off the other day. S&W is going to send a new site, but I wanted to do some shooting today and decided I would try a small dot of auto touch up paint. Worked great the touch up paint came with a ball point pen attachment and placed the gun in the vice no worries. Got to the range got half way through my first clip and noticed that my back LEFT dot was missing. This gun has less than 600 rounds through it and now I know that I need a new back sight.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I dont use a rear sight with dots. Solves that problem. My XD's would do the same.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
It's not too bad if there aren't any dots on the rear, but with one dot on, and another missing...it throws you off just a bit!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wish both my rear dots would fall off

With the dots falling off, I wonder if there were some sets that got out without having the surface properly prepped before the dots were put on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Front Dot

The front dot fell off of my front sight. A short discussion with the S&W rep and I got a complete set of night sights for cheap! Night sights on all three post is a bit much, I am thinking of putting on the original rear sights with the dots blacked out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have always favored 3-dot white dots on my guns, until this M-P. For some reason, the white dots on this gun are distracting to me. The sight picture with the white front is "visually busy," though I know this isn't exactly scientific, just my personal observation. Maybe it is because my other 3 dot guns I have have smaller white dots or have night sights, so they don't JUMP out like these do? I painted my front sight dot orange, and that helped, but I think I am going to give my rear dots the black Sharpie alteration until I find the black serrated rear I want.... 140 u-notch rear and Express front, maybe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No rear dot user here ..... I used a black Crayon (tip from XD forum) to fill my stock rear dots on my XD and use a Dawson FO up front. Even on my carry guns w/ Trijicons I have taken a black Sharpie to the rear white circles. At night the tritium green front and orange rears play out nicely. ......My competition 1911's have all black rear SlantPro's and Dawson .110" wide FO's up front. Clean and simple sight pictures ..... I want to pick up the front sight as fast as possible and for me all black rears make it happen. IMHO a solid shooting foundation - Stance, Grip and trigger control - play in to using an all black rear sight. Break the shot as you see the front sight on your target. Harold H.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah mine fell off too. i just put some enamel paint in there with a little brush, though, and i was good. but i sure would like some cheap night sights. how cheap are we talking?

·
Registered
109 Posts
rear sight for forum member

I went ahead and replaced both the front and rear sights wth night sights on my compact. If anyone would like my factory sights with dots still intact, I'll send them to you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My damn front sight just came out on the range after only 500rds. Is this problem covered by the warranty? What kind of deal has S&W offered on night sights as replacements?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just the dot. The sight itself is fine but during firing about half of the insert came out. I asked the place I purchased it from and the guy there was unsure because of the potential wear from holstering. The gun has only been holstered a few times so that makes no sense. I have yet to call S&W.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts