MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fired about 1,000 rounds thru my MP .40 and at it groups great, but like most other .40's I have owned it shoots to the left. When shooting at the head I will pluck out the targets left eye every time. I know this is a simple problem to fix, I was just curious if anyone else has experienced the same thing because every other caliber handgun I have had will shoot almost dead center straight out of the box.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
The zero point of any rifle or pistol with open sights varies to some extent to each individual, one person can pick up a pistol, it might shoot to the right for him, second person shooting the same pistol might shoot to the left, and another person shooting the same pistol the group might be centered, it can also vary in elevation, that's why someone else can't adjust your sights for you.

This phenomena can also occur with different ammunition, one variety might shoot to the left, another to the right, and elevation changes also, especially when using different bullet weights.

Sometimes this even occurs with optical sights, scopes or red dots, you wouldn't think it would, but it definitely can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I have that problem with mine also. I took a good close look at my rear sight and it looked center. I ended up replacing it with a 10-8 sight and I had the same issues. The lighbulb :idea: finally went off and I look at the front and it was off center a hair. Doh!

·
Registered
119 Posts
There have been a lot of people on this board with the front site off to the right out of the box. S&W has supposedly replaced the site but I just used a brass punch to get it over to the left. No more shooting left...it is right on dead center now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to take a look at that front sight, because we purchased 90 MP .40's and there is a few of us that the weapons shoot to the left. Thanks for input guys.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine shoots left, so I will have a trigger job and have the front sights checked while it's in the shop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
FWIW the only gun that I had that wasn't accurized was my Rem 870.

But, I hear you on the practice (but it's always in Donald's voice - dang!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts