MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering letting go of a couple of coins, and wasn't sure what price I should expect from some of these...

1913-P Dime VG

1899 Penny XF

1916-P Quater VG

1883 Nickel VF

1936 Nickel XF <-- looks like it is stamped P

1942-D Dime almost mint

Thanks

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Grimwulff said:
I've been considering letting go of a couple of coins, and wasn't sure what price I should expect from some of these...

1913-P Dime VG = $0.10

1899 Penny XF = 0.01

1916-P Quater VG = $0.25

1883 Nickel VF = $0.05

1936 Nickel XF = $0.05

942-D Dime almost mint = $0.10

-------------------------

Total $0.56

Ah heck, you're a nice guy, I'll give you a whole buck + shipping!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
wow my oldest penny was 1913! I have quite a few nice coins, unfortantly my son threw them all in with my change savings in my 5gal water jug!!

I have an silver quarter, tons of foreign stuff, and some old bills like "Silver Certificates". Too bad I can't trade them in for silver

Oh well one day I'll fish em out and cash out, speaking of which my jug is up to 27 lbs now!! WOOOHOOO!

Got any pics? I'm also wondering what some of these older coins are worth like the pure cooper penny, or pure silver quarter?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mad212 said:
wow my oldest penny was 1913! I have quite a few nice coins, unfortantly my son threw them all in with my change savings in my 5gal water jug!!

I have an silver quarter, tons of foreign stuff, and some old bills like "Silver Certificates". Too bad I can't trade them in for silver

Oh well one day I'll fish em out and cash out, speaking of which my jug is up to 27 lbs now!! WOOOHOOO!

Got any pics? I'm also wondering what some of these older coins are worth like the pure cooper penny, or pure silver quarter?

I have a 1990s silver dollar, and it is worth about... $25 o.0 so a bit more then its weight (1 oz) in silver.

Unfourtantly I don't have a camera... I can take a video of all of my coins if you'd like, because that is the only thing I have... my collection spans about 10 nations (Korea, Germany, England, Canada, South Africa, etc) and varying courencies. I've had a couple of the silver notes, but I don't know what happened to them.

ETA: I'm going to go get them appraised when I have some time, and i'll post the results... a lower quality dime (1913) and quarter (1916) sold for 3500 and 2500 respectively, mainly because of their historical value (coins that are first one or last run of their design, make more then the other years in that design).

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
After my father passed while cleaning out his stuff Ifound a bunch of coins dont know their worth at all but just hanging on to them.... if anyone is an expert on these let me know this thread has gotten me very curios on their worth.. I have some Iraqi Dinar that I got a hold of while in Iraq who knows maybe that might be worth a 1 for 1 exchange in 75 years :wink:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
101Combat Vet said:
After my father passed while cleaning out his stuff Ifound a bunch of coins dont know their worth at all but just hanging on to them.... if anyone is an expert on these let me know this thread has gotten me very curios on their worth.. I have some Iraqi Dinar that I got a hold of while in Iraq who knows maybe that might be worth a 1 for 1 exchange in 75 years :wink:

Look for a www.pcgs.com dealer near you... they will give you an accurate and nationwide recognized grade for your coins and will help you determine what the value is.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
thanks for the link brother 2 in dahlonega, ga I am impresses I will let you know when I get word back... BTW do they charge for looking???? I am new :wink:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
101Combat Vet said:
thanks for the link brother 2 in dahlonega, ga I am impresses I will let you know when I get word back... BTW do they charge for looking???? I am new :wink:

Not normally bro... at least, not the ones around here :wink: I got a day planned out where i'm going to hit up 5 of 'em with my rare ones, and get them looked over, cleaned/cased, and appraised... and which ever one appraises the most in my favor, that is who i'm going to go to

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I feel like I'm sitting on gems now
, my mother and my ex (who works at a bank) have quite a large collection going and I sometimes I get those extras they don't want anymore

I wonder if a silver certificate will ever be a historical item since it was killed during the 30's?

I'll post a few pics of my fun coins I've put away, I just got all the new dollar coins just put in to circulation.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mad212 said:
I feel like I'm sitting on gems now
, my mother and my ex (who works at a bank) have quite a large collection going and I sometimes I get those extras they don't want anymore

I wonder if a silver certificate will ever be a historical item since it was killed during the 30's?

I'll post a few pics of my fun coins I've put away, I just got all the new dollar coins just put in to circulation.

You can be... it really depends on the coin... i'd get them appraised so you know what you're dealing with. The coin market is kinda like the gun market... example...

Mosin-Nagant M91/30: $70, made in 1931

Mosin-Nagant: $300, made in the 1890s

Mosin-Nagant: $350, gun made in the 1890s, but refurbished in the 1940s

Mosin-Nagant: $400, gun made in the 1890s, but refurbished in the 1910s

It is based on how much history can be attributed to the item... refurbished in the 1940s gurantees it was used in WWII... refurbished in the 1910s gurantees it was in WWI (gurantee used loosely, but why else would the army refurbish a gun that has been sitting in a supply depot during war time?).

Saddly, unlike ANY other field, the coin collecting market puts the highest value on the mistakes that make it into circulation, over the older coins. So if you have a double headed nickel, or a mis-printed or mis-stamped coin, now THAT is the perverbial gold mine.

Silver notes are worth a decent amount, but in the past year i've seen a couple... but don't get your hopes down, they still sell.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I think I will do that, I kept them just cause my mother was into it, and I have a few other things I kept because of her..

her brother had a Mikey Mantel rookie card and their mother didn't believe in "such items" and threw it out with a ton of other cards..

So when I was conceived she started a baseball collection for me, that include alot of great players rookie cards!

Now today my friend that follows baseball tells me their worth ****, is this the same with coins?

I planned to give these cards to my son and try to build my own fortunes, but I never know when to sell or if the person telling me the value is correct in their assessments!! Is their a way to protect myself during such an transaction?

If someone tells me they'll give me $50 bucks for a penny, well lol thats worth it to me, but I dont want to get royal screwed either!!

Any good links to research these things?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mad212 said:
I planned to give these cards to my son and try to build my own fortunes, but I never know when to sell or if the person telling me the value is correct in their assessments!! Is their a way to protect myself during such an transaction?

If someone tells me they'll give me $50 bucks for a penny, well lol thats worth it to me, but I dont want to get royal screwed either!!

Any good links to research these things?

Yea, I posted one earlier on, the Professional Coin Grading Service @ www.pcgs.com will allow you to search for PCGS certified local dealers near you. I would not always take one opinion... shop around.

Coins only get more valuable with age... after all, they aren't exactly making any more 1880s quarters or 1761 dimes, ya know? It is very hard to replicate a coin due to the patina that they all have. Fake patina is noticeable in anything, so an expert can tell you what it is...

Besides, if you feel like you are getting the shaft, PCGS has an online price guide, where you can check the relative value of your coin versus what the popular selling price is.

If you still aren't happy, there are auctions you can go to and put your stuff up for sale, and if you don't want it to go for less then $xxxx, than put a reserve on it. eBay works, also.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
i missed that post sorry, and thank you for the info, I think i'm just going to sit on these. The temptation of knowing I have someone money worth something will make me just sell. I want to try and pass something to my son as I was never passed anything but knowledge itself.

Thank you once again!!

p.s. **** its killing me now that I think there might be something worth something, lol!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mad212 said:
i missed that post sorry, and thank you for the info, I think i'm just going to sit on these. The temptation of knowing I have someone money worth something will make me just sell. I want to try and pass something to my son as I was never passed anything but knowledge itself.

Thank you once again!!

p.s. shiz its killing me now that I think there might be something worth something, lol!!

Don't get your hopes up... i've learned to always be pessimistic with the value of whatever you own, because in case it isn't worth shiz, then wtf emotions did you have invested in it? If it turns out to be worth millions, then you feel all the greater

However, get them rated! The second they get rated and (typically) put in a case designating the rating, they'll maintain that rating as long as the case is never re-opened. So you'll always have the coins at the level they were rated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts