MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone had any drills they perform prior to competing in an IDPA match, such as techniques that one could practice at indoor range, at a house, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated. I saw on another post that the best way is just to jump right in, however I think any kind of edge I have would be best, and I also like to be prepared. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well I'm not one that practices as I should

At indoor range depends if you can draw from holster. One quick drill you could modify to do low ready if not allowed to draw from the holster is the 30 round Hackathorn drill. I practiced this one a lot at both outdoor and indoor ranges. At an indoor range you're probably also not be allowed to turn.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1360028

If you can only use 1 target - practice double taps, 2 to body 1 to head, all head shots, slidelock and retention reloads if allowed, strong hand and weak hand, and an nice finish is a bill drill (6 as fast and accurate as you can shoot).

At home while watching the TV practice your magazine changes. And you could use doorways, furniture, etc. practicing your aiming from cover, pieing targets, etc.

You might want to check out Matt Burkett's DVD. Practical Shooting Vol. 7 - How to Practice or Practical Shooting Volume 5 - Winning IDPA Techniques http://burkettvideo.com/ Also he has a Dry Fires Tip page. http://mattburkett.com/index.php?option=co...6&Itemid=75

Now you're going to make me feel guilty about not practicing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Re: Well I'm not one that practices as I should

dragonlibra said:
At indoor range depends if you can draw from holster. One quick drill you could modify to do low ready if not allowed to draw from the holster is the 30 round Hackathorn drill. I practiced this one a lot at both outdoor and indoor ranges. At an indoor range you're probably also not be allowed to turn.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1360028

If you can only use 1 target - practice double taps, 2 to body 1 to head, all head shots, slidelock and retention reloads if allowed, strong hand and weak hand, and an nice finish is a bill drill (6 as fast and accurate as you can shoot).

At home while watching the TV practice your magazine changes. And you could use doorways, furniture, etc. practicing your aiming from cover, pieing targets, etc.

You might want to check out Matt Burkett's DVD. Practical Shooting Vol. 7 - How to Practice or Practical Shooting Volume 5 - Winning IDPA Techniques http://burkettvideo.com/ Also he has a Dry Fires Tip page. http://mattburkett.com/index.php?option=co...6&Itemid=75

Now you're going to make me feel guilty about not practicing.
Also, at the range, practice the three different types of reloads (tactical reload, reload w/retention & slide lock). You probably will stick to just slide lock on your first match but it doesn't hurt to practice them for future matches. Also as dragonlibra said, use the furniture in your house and the walls to practice using cover and slicing the pie. You will make mistakes your first match but don't worry about it because you are still trying to learn the rules and trying to gain speed & accuracy all at once. But I'll tell you, it is a lot of fun and it's way better than shooting at paper targets just down range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the tips. I'll practice the slicing the pie next time I head back home (I’m in the dorms at college), as well as the range drills. I also just ordered a Blade-Tech practice barrel so I don’t scare the other inhabitants of my house TOO much. I figured I might startle them a little with lurking around corners with my pistol, and the added safety is always a good measure to take.

On the topic of drawing from a holster while at an indoor range, does anyone know of any in the southeastern Michigan area that will let you do this? I don't think I've ever been to one that lets you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good question. I'm wanting to try some matches and need some tips and practice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In the dorm

cadetM said:
I'll practice the slicing the pie next time I head back home (I’m in the dorms at college), as well as the range drills.

You might look a little strange but you don't really need a pistol to practice this. Pen, water bottle, ruler, etc. can be used.

Another little tip I learned from the videos was to practice walking with knees bent by using a water bottle. If the water sloshes then the sights would be moving up and down on your pistol. You want to be able to walk and keep that water steady. Sometimes you hear the walk called the "groucho marx" walk for the way it looks.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
The following is my original weekly practice drill based with what I could get away with at the local indoor range which allowed me to hang 2 targets in a single lane (2 separate clamps).

This drill set I had expanded from the original Hackathorn one:

A. 5 yards / 1 shot to the head / Repeat 3 times

B. 7 yards / 2 shots to the the body / Repeat 3 times

C. 7 yards / Turn, 2 shots to the body / Repeat 3 times

D. 10 to 7 yards (or approximate) / Moving forwards, 2 shots to body / Repeat 3 times

E. 7 to 10 yards (or approximate) / Moving backwards, 2 shots to body / Repeat 3 times

F. 10 yards / 2 shots to the body, tac reload, 1 shot to the head / Repeat 3 times

G. 10 yards / 2 rounds to each of 3 mags; Slide Lock Drill / Repeat 4 times

H. 15 yards (2 targets) / Behind cover (right), 2 to body, tac reload, 2 to body / Repeat 3 times

I. 15 yards (2 targets) / Behind cover (left), 2 to body, tac reload, 2 to body / Repeat 3 times

J. 10 yards (2 targets)/ Failure Drill; 2 to the body, 1 to the head / Repeat 3 times

Couple of notes:

1. Be careful about the movement drill; shooters next to you. Small steps is all you need. You don't need to move the whole 3 yards. TiP: On movement backwards, draw first and then move. On movement forwards, move first and then draw. It is a game.

2. All draws from concealment.

3. About 108 rounds roughly.

4. You will be surprise to find how these short drills mimic a part of a good number stages at any IDPA match.

5. Be careful of the first shot after any reload; a lot of folks then to throw that off.

I created this set for myself; a short training session for someone who doesn't have much time to do so. You're in and out within the hour.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts