MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to hear from the lefties (although everyone is welcome to jump in as not to sound bias). Is the M&P doing it for you?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it can probably be said that I'm in the same boat as the others, ambi right out of the box was the reason for my pick although I'm still doing the 10 day dance. Sweet, thanks darklyte.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Southpaw...

here. I decided to sell my G45 and I just ordered a M&P 9 for production in competition. I can turn, draw, shoot six, reload, and shoot six in 5.5 seconds with my Glock. I have reloads down to about a second with my Glock, so I'm hoping my M&P will help me to get my reloads lower. I can't wait to be able to use a left handed pistol.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Does For Me

I'm a lefty but have gotten used to working in a right-handed world so I've developed the habit of releasing magazines and slides with my trigger finger. The M&P ambidextrous slide release is a great advantage and I could (but haven't) reverse the mag release. It's nice S&W thought of us.

S&W isn't the only one. CZ85's have ambidextrous slide releases and safety levers but the mag release isn't reversable. Ruger P-series pistols have ambidextrous safety/decocker levers and ambidextrous mag releases.

Question; why are ambidextrous safety levers so rare on S&W 1911's? If any pistol needs them it's the 1911.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: Southpaw...

RCKnight said:
here. I decided to sell my G45 and I just ordered a M&P 9 for production in competition. I can turn, draw, shoot six, reload, and shoot six in 5.5 seconds with my Glock. I have reloads down to about a second with my Glock, so I'm hoping my M&P will help me to get my reloads lower. I can't wait to be able to use a left handed pistol.

LOL.. been using a glock for years now, didn't realize it wasn't a "left handed pistol"..

And that's a pretty quick time for 6 reload 6 how are your hits ?.

I like the M&P for shooting left handed but i have not changed anything as i use my trigger finger to push the mag button, short fingers i have.. and this works good for me.

Jeff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I fired the ruger p94 a bunch of times down at firing line but didn't really like it. Put about 300 rounds through it. It was too klunky, especially since my preffered choice at the time was the glock 22. The first session the mag was really shaky, it jammed a lot the second session. I'm not knocking the gun when it was lined up it was really easy to fire at a high percentage. I will say that it was the house gun so it probably just needed some love.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Mousekiller said:
[quote name='RCKnight']here. I decided to sell my G45 and I just ordered a M&P 9 for production in competition. I can turn, draw, shoot six, reload, and shoot six in 5.5 seconds with my Glock. I have reloads down to about a second with my Glock, so I'm hoping my M&P will help me to get my reloads lower. I can't wait to be able to use a left handed pistol.

LOL.. been using a glock for years now, didn't realize it wasn't a "left handed pistol"..

I like the M&P for shooting left handed but i have not changed anything as i use my trigger finger to push the mag button, short fingers i have.. and this works good for me.

Jeff.[/quote]

My groups are about the size of a paper plate at 7 yards. My best time is 5 seconds. I can't seem to get any faster with a Glock using my right/hand middle finger to hit the slide release. I hope the M&P will change that, but I do need to work on getting my groups smaller. :oops:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm a lefty, still using my trigger finger to release the magazine. I've played around with using the slide stop, and wish I could build a habit of using it, as reloads would be blazing fast...zero hand shift necessary for me. I've just got too many reps of using my trigger finger on the slide stop/release on other guns. This is another reason I like the gun, though...if I was teaching a beginner lefty, it would be a super option. Before anyone hops on this dead horse, I don't use the "sling-shot" method, but I show it to people if they want to use it. I don't use it because my main autopistol is still a 3rd generation S&W, and slingshotting a gun with a frame-mounted safety/decocker can cause very bad mocus.

·
Registered
551 Posts
sheepdog said:
I don't use it because my main autopistol is still a 3rd generation S&W, and slingshotting a gun with a frame-mounted safety/decocker can cause very bad mocus.

I assume you mean a slide mounted safety/decocker. The two 3rd gen. S&W's I've owned (3906, and 6906) had the safety/decocker on the slide.

·
Registered
373 Posts
OOPS, yes, thank you-SLIDE mounted. I'll leave it unedited for clarity with your reply, my hand was pecking but my mind wasn't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im a lefty. I used to shoot my brothers glock 21 and would use my left hand middle finger to drop the mag. I still do it with my m&p, just out of habit. I should switch it over to lefty style to see how that goes.

·
Registered
115 Posts

RCKnight said:
[quote name='Mousekiller'][quote name='RCKnight']here. I decided to sell my G45 and I just ordered a M&P 9 for production in competition. I can turn, draw, shoot six, reload, and shoot six in 5.5 seconds with my Glock. I have reloads down to about a second with my Glock, so I'm hoping my M&P will help me to get my reloads lower. I can't wait to be able to use a left handed pistol.

Jeff.[/quote]

My groups are about the size of a paper plate at 7 yards. My best time is 5 seconds. I can't seem to get any faster with a Glock using my right/hand middle finger to hit the slide release. I hope the M&P will change that, but I do need to work on getting my groups smaller. :oops:[/quote]

If i read that right your also shooting to slide lock ? and if that's the case then your blazing away pretty good there, I'd say if you want your groups better, slow down. You can only miss so fast..

Good luck, i don't normally shoot to slide lock and when i do i usually sling shot the slide forward, always had a heck of a time reaching the slide release.. Some people use the knuckle of there middle finger to push the mag relaese also.. i've tried that and i guess with a lot of practice i could do it but i like to use my trigger finger cause then IT CAN"T be in the trigger gaurd when i'm changing mags.

Be safe.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Help me make up my mind "Left or Right"

Ok, for all you lefties out there I hope you can help me with my problem. I am right handed, left eye dominate. I shoot rifles left handed, but I am having problems shooting my M&P right handed, while using my left eye. After nearly 20 years in the Army, this is my first hand gun. I am trying to use my right eye, both eyes open and left eye and still have issues with groupings. What would you suggest as a solution, if any besides a lot of practice.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
115 Posts
hmm

strangley enough, i shoot rifle and shotgun right handed and pistol Left handed. I"m right eye dominant. I can shoot my pistol right handed but it feels more comfortable in the left, and i can shoot pretty good with either hand..

I started out "all" lefty but when i was a kid left handed rifles and shotguns well.. were not to common, so basically trained myself to shoot right handed with those.

You could.. swith the pistol to your left hand.. with a little practice you will be ok and it would feel more comfortable to you.

Or..

You could take a piece of tape, opaque, and place it on your left lense of your safety glasses, thus obsurring your vision in your left eye. shoot with both eyes open, but your right will be forced to focus on the sight. Does not have to be a big piece of tape.

Try that see what happens.. I don't really "Know" if you can actually change your eye dominance ? but iv'e seen this work for others.

Good luck.

Jeff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts